PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: I have Evolved.
Carrier: Sprint

chappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC bringing VGA displays to sprint: Raphnel and Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFool View Post
That's not necessarily accurate. Yes, we can all go on and on about how much better WM is than the iPhone (Android may give it a run for its money... maybe), but I don't think any of us would disagree that it IS slow and bloated in comparison to the iPhone.
Slow and bloated how? What does the speed of the iPhone enable you to do that you can't do with a WM device?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
..my prediction is that it'll actually come out Q2-Q3 09.
Hush now! If we don't say it, it won't happen.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Existentialism is keeping up the good workExistentialism is keeping up the good work

I was actually hoping they'd wait until WM7 Released and design the successor around that platform. Guess I'll have to wait for the 7100 for that to happen. Still buying this though.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle

i still want to know the real difference in these 2 phones besides the keyboard... they both appear pretty thin so why wouldnt you jus get the one with the keyboad if everything else is exactly the same?

samsung 640A --> motorola Q --> sprint touch --> now doin it big with the touch pro... oh so sexy lol
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Slow and bloated how? What does the speed of the iPhone enable you to do that you can't do with a WM device?
Did you even read what I wrote? I didn't say the iPhone can do anything a WM device can't. I clearly stated the opposite. What the speed of the iPhone provides is a smooth, relatively reliable device where actions cause nearly instant responses, and it operates more like an appliance than a computer. WM-based devices operate more like computers in that applications frequently provide long load times, button presses are often ignored for several seconds at a time, sometimes it fails to respond at all, it crashes or freezes up, etc., etc., etc. So while there are no FUNCTIONS the iPhone has over our phones, and the speed doesn't allow it to do anything our phone can't, on the things that it DOES do just as well, it does them faster, more reliably, and with less frustration.

This is coming from a staunch iPhone-opposer who will defend his Mogul to the death against an Apple product. But it's pure fanboyism to suggest that Windows Mobile isn't painfully slow and unreliable enough of the time to make you wish it ran a little more like the iPhone does. If the iPhone had all of the additional functionality of the Mogul, didn't require iTunes, wasn't made by Apple, and wasn't AT&T exclusive, I would have considered one.

Honestly, I'm surprised I even had to answer this question. You ask what the better speed of the iPhone allows it to do that WM cannot. Is not the better speed enough of an answer? "What does your bigger TV allow you to do that my smaller one can't?" It lets me see everything bigger.

Last edited by TurboFool; 04-23-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP

aughsum is a n00b

looking forward to it. I HATE THE BEZEL ON THE MOGUL.
RAZR2 - secondary
_______
HTC Mogul
HTC Apache
a900 -secondary
Motorola i870
Morotola i830
REM Blackberry 6200
REM Blackberry 7100
Motorola i860
Motorola i830
Motorola i730
LG vx6000
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Almost a VIP

chappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
You ask what the better speed of the iPhone allows it to do that WM cannot. Is not the better speed enough of an answer?
No. How are you judging this? What are you comparing? Why is the fact that it's faster better? A Dodge Viper is faster than most cars on the road, but it doesn't do everything that other cars do. Is the Viper a better car because it's faster? No.

I'm not sure what frustrations you have with WM, but I've had none that I haven't caused myself. Suprise, most issues with Windows, be it on a PC or on a Mobile device, are caused by the user, not the OS itself.

But whatever, be a jerk. Sorry I dared question you and your superior opinion that the iPhone is the fastest thing ever and that's all that matters. I wouldn't want the Mogul to be like the iPhone at all. It's not even a smartphone. It's basically an iPod with a phone attached to it. Wow. I can do anything an iPhone can do with a Samsung M610.

edit: Just for the record, I have nothing against Apple at all. My next computer is going to be an iMac. I just don't think the iPhone is the second coming of Jesus is all.

Last edited by chappy; 04-23-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Yay.

I'm very hyper ATM.

Hopefully this will have a smoother experience.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
No. How are you judging this? What are you comparing? Why is the fact that it's faster better? A Dodge Viper is faster than most cars on the road, but it doesn't do everything that other cars do. Is the Viper a better car because it's faster? No.
Obviously a Viper isn't better at everything, but if a Viper did NOT have its shortcomings and was equal in every other way, then yes, the extra speed would be better. You're trying yet again to compare the entire package, when I implicitly stated that I was only comparing speed, as WM-based phones whip the iPhone on functionality. But I purposefully didn't give a car analogy because when you're limited by the speed limit, the extra speed doesn't do you any good. A better speed analogy would be a fully-loaded Prius versus a base model BMW. They may have similar functionality, but one's going to take 15 seconds to get to 60, which makes merging from a freeway on-ramp a pain in the ***, and the other's going to take 3, making the vehicle much easier to work with.

Quote:
I'm not sure what frustrations you have with WM, but I've had none that I haven't caused myself. Suprise, most issues with Windows, be it on a PC or on a Mobile device, are caused by the user, not the OS itself.
Trust me, I'm a network consultant for a large IT company, and that's my mantra. The Mogul runs slowly, period. Even with no custom applications, many aspects of it eventually lag or hang up or create issues, and installing basic applications makes it harder and harder. The OS does not run quickly or smoothly, no matter what. Doing stupid things will, indeed, make it worse, but it doesn't exactly run like a breeze when used as it's expected to be, either. Many of my clients run Treos, Qs, etc., and most are too clueless to ever install an application, so they're running only stock units, and they still run slowly and hang up and give me headaches when I'm trying to work on them. The OS needs an overhaul. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
But whatever, be a jerk. Sorry I dared question you and your superior opinion that the iPhone is the fastest thing ever and that's all that matters. I wouldn't want the Mogul to be like the iPhone at all. It's not even a smartphone. It's basically an iPod with a phone attached to it. Wow. I can do anything an iPhone can do with a Samsung M610.
Once again you've proven your lack of reading comprehension skills. Nowhere did I even suggest the iPhone is the fastest thing ever, merely that Windows Mobile is notably slower and doesn't run as smoothly. I also CLEARLY stated OVER and OVER again that the speed is obviously not all that matters, or I would own an iPhone. Instead I own a Mogul because of all those very reasons you just stated about what the iPhone is lacking in comparison to what we own (and two dozen more reasons). Do you even read? I own a Mogul, I love my Mogul, and I can't stand iPhones because they're glorified cell phones with no smart capabilities, limited functionality, and less features than many free phones. My only point is that they run circles around Windows Mobile when it comes to speed and smooth operation. Excuse me for not fanboyishly defending Windows Mobile and instead giving credit where it's due and recognizing a flaw in a device I own. You sound more like an Apple owner in your steadfast refusal to admit a problem.

Quote:
edit: Just for the record, I have nothing against Apple at all. My next computer is going to be an iMac. I just don't think the iPhone is the second coming of Jesus is all.
And if you cared to pay any attention to what I'd wrote you'd clearly see that I don't think it is, either. I've been extremely vocal all over the internet and IRL about the iPhone's limitations. But again, I am not so biased as to ignore its strong points and ignore the weaknesses of the phone I chose to buy. It would be foolish to do so.

Now as a point of interest, I've noticed lots of spread in experiences with the Mogul on these boards alone. Some people, like myself, get dreadful battery life out of it when others have praised it. Some people complain that the phone, with nothing extra installed, crawls constantly and is slow as molasses, while others, such as yourself, claim its performance is perfect (I lie somewhere in the middle). So perhaps there is some odd level of variation that accounts for our differences. But can you not admit that, assuming it didn't mean giving up the advantages of Windows Mobile, it would be quite nice if it ran faster than it did? Are you completely beyond even that? Wouldn't we all prefer that our electronic devices were quicker, had better battery life, were more user friendly, and more reliable? And when there are devices that have proven that such requests aren't impossible, isn't it fair to point that out and wish the devices that we prefer had those same improvements?

Last edited by TurboFool; 04-23-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
But can you not admit that, assuming it didn't mean giving up the advantages of Windows Mobile, it would be quite nice if it ran faster than it did? Are you completely beyond even that? Wouldn't we all prefer that our electronic devices were quicker, had better battery life, were more user friendly, and more reliable? And when there are devices that have proven that such requests aren't impossible, isn't it fair to point that out and wish the devices that we prefer had those same improvements?
Yeah, I'm mostly just in a bad mood and picked a fight on the internet.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives