PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MOT ic902 temoporarily, but Mogul Permanantly
Carrier: Sprint

TrueArsenic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC bringing VGA displays to sprint: Raphnel and Diamond

The TBD corresponding to "Sprint TV" is staring me right in the face.. it's mocking me.. bleh..

The Phone looks ILLLLLL though! I'm gonna have to consider this.. we'll see how this develops.. As always, A company has a big opportunity to make an awesome phone, we'll see how they come through on it.. I'm not gonna hold my breath though. I'm a realist.. not a pessimist.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxor View Post
I don't understand how some people are saying this will kill the Treo 800w. Other than the VGA screen, it won't have a leg up on the 800w.

Both the 800w and the PPC-7000 (?) will have 128MB of RAM, 256MB ROM, WiFi, GPS, WinMo 6.1, EVDO Rev A and Bluetooth 2.0.

The Treo will sport a 320x320 screen and the PPC-7000 will sport a 640x480 screen. Those of us in the Treo camp will not like this because we hate side-sliders. Those in the HTC camp won't dig the Treo because of it's square screen, bulky appearance and lack of hackability. The phones hardware themselves, however, will not be very different.

Those of you shooting for the moon with these devices need to calm down. This happens on the Apple fanboy websites every time speculation of a new Mac happens too. You expect the world and get very disappointed when it finally comes around to launch time.

Just be happy we're getting VGA screens in NA finally. About damn time, IMHO.
c/s

Youre on point, im getting too hyped up about this. When i get the phone, i can imagine maybe two days of "WOW" and two weeks or "meh", and then about 4 months of "WE NEED CUSTOM ROMS! NOCHEM SAVE US!"

But i look forward to it, and im pretty sure sprint/htc are already plotting to consume more of us compulsive ppc users with another phone a year from that release date.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

anyone remember this article http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/20/h...of-new-phones/

old top, new replacement bottom. the bottom left would be the Rafnel replacing the Tilt/Tytn II/mogul

And i think the Rafnel brings a lot more to the party than the 800w. You have a better processor that can be 500mhz with 3d (7500a). You have an unknown amount of RAM/ROM still, cant just assume its 128/256. You have a 2.8" VGA (prob 640x480) which is a ton better than a 320x320 2.5" QVGA square. You have many unknowns to say the treo is better at this point and a lot of assumptions.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

wILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwILLk0r3 818 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wILLk0r3 818 Send a message via Yahoo to wILLk0r3 818

Hopefully the screen won't suck when it's being used in even a small amount of sunlight! (Yes, I have an anti-glare screen protector.)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxor View Post
Both the 800w and the PPC-7000 (?) will have 128MB of RAM, 256MB ROM, WiFi, GPS, WinMo 6.1, EVDO Rev A and Bluetooth 2.0.
As you can see above the RAM specs for the Raphnel and Diamond have yet to be specified so that statement is purely speculation.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

superflysocal is just getting started

For people stating they want or like the bigger screen, I agree a bigger screen can make things easier. however, one thing i like about my touch that is better than Mogul or iPhone is the form factor. The touch probably have the best form factor of any pda (not smartphone) phone i can think of, almost the form factor of most normal phones and better than some smartphones. When i got the touch, i didn't get rid of my mogul because i thought I would switch back and forth. But after a few months I find myself using the touch almost exclusively due to its form factor, especially if you are a guy that actually wear your phone on your belt, its a BIG difference. And yes, I have an iphone also..as nice as that phone is, i can't imagine wearing one day in day out.

Thus, I hope that the footprint for the touch replacement remains smaller than the replacement for the mogul; not just thinner, but height and/or width as well. And I hope neither becomes as big as the iPhone. This may not matter as much to females who put their phones in their purses.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

I'm digging this new phone. Specs and potential are great, and it's very slick in design.

I'll likely pick one up shortly after release. The two things holding me back are battery (I love my extended battery on my Mogul, and I'm not sure I can put up with a standard one until one's released for it) and custom ROMs. I went through all that with the Mogul, and don't want to do it all over again. Otherwise I'm loving it.

I saw no comments about them switching the keyboard back to the other side. I wonder what the reasoning was. Too many old-school users had trouble adjusting? All I'm hoping is that this means the stylus will be moved to a more intelligent place. Its placement on the Mogul makes transitioning from stylus to keyboard a pain for me.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO™ 3D

furiousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good workfuriousgtz is keeping up the good work

can't wait...
Old 04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2 by HTC

eXplicit is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to eXplicit

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
For people stating they want or like the bigger screen, I agree a bigger screen can make things easier. however, one thing i like about my touch that is better than Mogul or iPhone is the form factor. The touch probably have the best form factor of any pda (not smartphone) phone i can think of, almost the form factor of most normal phones and better than some smartphones. When i got the touch, i didn't get rid of my mogul because i thought I would switch back and forth. But after a few months I find myself using the touch almost exclusively due to its form factor, especially if you are a guy that actually wear your phone on your belt, its a BIG difference. And yes, I have an iphone also..as nice as that phone is, i can't imagine wearing one day in day out.

Thus, I hope that the footprint for the touch replacement remains smaller than the replacement for the mogul; not just thinner, but height and/or width as well. And I hope neither becomes as big as the iPhone. This may not matter as much to females who put their phones in their purses.
Both the replacements look exactly the same, I would imagine that they will both be the same dimension-wise except for how thick the phone will be. I think the only difference between the two will be the thickness because of the slider keyboard.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I hope it isn't a hoax...

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives