PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5
Carrier: Sprint

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto
Re: htc touch gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Most of the phones that have GPS chip in it uses A-GPS technology.
This is correct.

Quote:
U don't have a standalone chip on ur phone.
This is correct also.

Quote:
So for the rest of us, we will pay for data.
This is just plain wrong.

Jethro, you have some useful information about the GPS system that is used with cell phones and some of it is correct. And I'm sure that the people who don't know anything about GPS will learn a little from you. On the other hand, you are severely misinformed about the use of data alongside the use of GPS.

You mentioned E911, so I'm assuming that you are familiar with it. In that case, let me expand on why you are wrong about the necessity of having a data plan in order to use GPS with cell phones.

1.) In order for E911 to work effectively on every sprint phone, Sprint DOES NOT require you to have a data plan. How stupid would it be to have the feature to be able to locate someone in case of an EMERGENCY but not use it just because they're not paying for a data plan.

2.) There are other services that use the A-GPS chip that also do not require data. For instance, I currently have in my possesion, a phone aith an A-GPS chip in it that has NO PLAN AT ALL. This was my previous phone and It's been sitting in my drawer for a month now. I can power on this device (with no plan mind you), go to the camera application, take a snapshot of anything I'd like. Now, if I go into the properties of this picture, I GUARANTEE you that there will be LAT/LON information associated with this picture. And that, my friend, is GPS information... accurate to within 3 to 5 meters.

Don't get me wrong, you do seem somewhat knowledgable on GPS, but let me also remind you that you have no idea about how data relates to it.

P.S. Thanks for your somewhat useful information

EDIT: One more thing, Jethro, I dare you to disconnect the service from your phone, then dial 911, hang up, and tell me what happens. The Ambulance and fire truck will be at your door shortly if you seem to be in any need of emergency assistance. Do you know how they know where you are? The location information that they have is from the A-GPS chip in your phone (if you have one). The point is that your call will connect to a tower regardless of the fact that you have disconnected your service.

Last edited by acontrasto; 06-19-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Ultimately, The decision for enabling the GPS chips on our phone is up to the carriers. They can enable our GPS chip in any of the 4 types of A-GPS. standalone,MS,MS Assisted and Hybrid.Since nobody have proven what type of A-GPS in their phone is running, I Look for it myself. Yes, Our Moguls and Touch's have standalone A-GPS type. Thanks to sprint. This means that we do not need assistance from the A-GPS server to use our phone for navigation. I myself am glad too. But there is a downside on standalone A-GPS device. The signal will be weak Because like I said, it does not have a SIRF III chipset but I'll Take it. And since we have a standalone A-GPS, yes we do not need a DATA PLAN. Most of us here challenge me with my statement which I tried to answer the best that I can and I hope You are enlighten. We are lucky to have this kind of Chip coz Most phones GPS chip was enabled not having a standalone type. I only want a proof to tell me that the mogul and Touch have standalone but nobody stepped up and I look it up myself. this topic also in most forums and according to them moguls and Touch has standalone type. there is no concrete proof that we have a standalone but I would like to think it's that way. I would like to thank everyone that participated. For more info on where I'm coming from, Check this, It will help enlighten our questions coz there are other people here that use phone other than the mogul and the Touch. I think we have solved the problem and I am burrying the hatchet.
http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs..._tutorial.html

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-19-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:59 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acontrasto View Post
This is correct.

This is correct also.

This is just plain wrong.

Jethro, you have some useful information about the GPS system that is used with cell phones and some of it is correct. And I'm sure that the people who don't know anything about GPS will learn a little from you. On the other hand, you are severely misinformed about the use of data alongside the use of GPS.

You mentioned E911, so I'm assuming that you are familiar with it. In that case, let me expand on why you are wrong about the necessity of having a data plan in order to use GPS with cell phones.

1.) In order for E911 to work effectively on every sprint phone, Sprint DOES NOT require you to have a data plan. How stupid would it be to have the feature to be able to locate someone in case of an EMERGENCY but not use it just because they're not paying for a data plan.

2.) There are other services that use the A-GPS chip that also do not require data. For instance, I currently have in my possesion, a phone aith an A-GPS chip in it that has NO PLAN AT ALL. This was my previous phone and It's been sitting in my drawer for a month now. I can power on this device (with no plan mind you), go to the camera application, take a snapshot of anything I'd like. Now, if I go into the properties of this picture, I GUARANTEE you that there will be LAT/LON information associated with this picture. And that, my friend, is GPS information... accurate to within 3 to 5 meters.

Don't get me wrong, you do seem somewhat knowledgable on GPS, but let me also remind you that you have no idea about how data relates to it.

P.S. Thanks for your somewhat useful information

EDIT: One more thing, Jethro, I dare you to disconnect the service from your phone, then dial 911, hang up, and tell me what happens. The Ambulance and fire truck will be at your door shortly if you seem to be in any need of emergency assistance. Do you know how they know where you are? The location information that they have is from the A-GPS chip in your phone (if you have one). The point is that your call will connect to a tower regardless of the fact that you have disconnected your service.
I think U misread my posts. I said that data plan is need to navigate. Locking ur position does not need a data plan. That process of locking ur position is what E911 use so basically, It's free.

Again, the need of data is for navigation. A-GPS server will transmit the data to ur phone so ur phone does not need to do it and saves U battery life.

On my last post, I searched myself if the mogul and touch have stanalone and yes. it does have standalone so It does not need data transmission from A-GPS server to navigate but for the other phones, They will be required to have data plan or be charged per KB to use the GPS functions. Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I think U misread my posts. I said that data plan is need to navigate. Locking ur position does not need a data plan. That process of locking ur position is what E911 use so basically, It's free.

Again, the need of data is for navigation. A-GPS server will transmit the data to ur phone so ur phone does not need to do it and saves U battery life.

On my last post, I searched myself if the mogul and touch have stanalone and yes. it does have standalone so It does not need data transmission from A-GPS server to navigate but for the other phones, They will be required to have data plan or be charged per KB to use the GPS functions. Thanks

No charge will be incurred if you have stored maps on a storage card or on your phone's internal storage. The navigation application accesses the same information about your location that any other "Location Based Service (LBS)" does, hence the name "Location." E911 just happens to be an LBS. So is any navigation program designed for phones. The ONLY time a data plan is necessary is in the case where your phone has to connect to download map tiles and/or traffic data. E911 was implemented for a reason, and that reason was safety. They can not disable this service unless they physically shut off the A-GPS device, which is what they have done in the Vogue. Again, navigation programs use the same information that E911 services do, which does not require data.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
No charge will be incurred if you have stored maps on a storage card or on your phone's internal storage. The navigation application accesses the same information about your location that any other "Location Based Service (LBS)" does, hence the name "Location." E911 just happens to be an LBS. So is any navigation program designed for phones. The ONLY time a data plan is necessary is in the case where your phone has to connect to download map tiles and/or traffic data. E911 was implemented for a reason, and that reason was safety. They can not disable this service unless they physically shut off the A-GPS device, which is what they have done in the Vogue. Again, navigation programs use the same information that E911 services do, which does not require data.
Pls read. Thanks
http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs..._tutorial.html
Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
I really don't understand where U coming from. For which A-GPS type U are speaking of?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch

tlcasper is just getting started

I won't pretend to know all technical aspects or the what the exact functions of the chips are.

The screen shots don't prove anything of the kind, they are just shots of me using the phone to navigate, with the phone in airplane mode. I would assume this means no data. I got a lock on my location, then had the phone navigate to a preloaded destination. Everything worked as it would in normal mode, turn by turn directions, and accurate mapping the whole 5 km trip.

I'm not really interested in making a point, or changing anyone's mind. Or even what the technical specs may be. I am just passing on my experience with the Touch's GPS.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue (Okta)
Carrier: TCNZ

MattOktaNZ is just getting started
Exclamation Re: htc touch gps

Quote:
Who else disagree that You need a data plan to use the GPS? i invite you to speak up. I will tell You why do U need the data plan to use the GPS.
I can get my position via GPS with data off
I can navigate with Garmin and data off

I'm in New Zealand with CDMA phone - even if data was on the Sprint IP I have set won't respond to me as I'm not on sprint network.

GPS Positioning works via triangulation like others have stated. Given that the Touch has only recently got GPS functionality enabled its not surprising its not showing on an GPS compliant device lists

You do not need data connection for GPS Nav/Positioning. You do need it if you don't have preinstalled/downloaded maps

period.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
I really don't understand where U coming from. For which A-GPS type U are speaking of?

does it matter what type, we've already proven your original statement wrong.

Quote:
Yes and it will require u a data plan to use the gps function of your Touch.
I'm merely stating this:
1. E911 Location Service can take place with no service contract (phone or data) regardless of the type of A-GPS. This is government mandated.
2. Nav programs use the same API that E911 uses for location info
So far, no data connections have been made.
3. Therefore, the only time data would be needed is while downloading map tiles or traffic info (and possibly other reasons: wikimapia, FON, WarDriving, or NAC Geo services... to name a few)
4. What this all means is that if you store map tiles on a storage device and have a Nav Prog that accesses the same API as the E911 service (which it has to in order to find your location) then there is no use of data.
5. WinMo Programs such as TomTom, IGuidance, Garmin, IGo, OnCourseNavigator, and CoPilot Live, to name a few, all use stored maps.

Again, let me remind you that E911 Location info has been accessible from any phone with any type of A-GPS since '02 without any service plan... and also that Nav progs use that same location info, consequently not needing data.

If you ever take any graduate level classes that deal with wireless data, you will learn that just because you are not paying for a service plan, does not mean that your phone is not receiving signals from the network. It just means that you can not use those signals for dialing out, unless it's a 911 call. Since the GPS function is designed to use with E911, this location service remains intact at all times, even without a service plan. This is the sole reason that you do not need a data plan to access the location info from the A-GPS device, whether it be from a Nav Program or from my camera phone that records location info.

I hope I've cleared this up for you.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

GT! is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Oh boy. As I said before, A lock can be established because the satellite can locate you. Now the transmission of data will come from an A-GPS server because your phone will have hard time computing for data and it will drain ur battery. Pls. read the previous post before posting. Thanks
I think you are the one that needs to read all the posts that have been made and accept that your statements are wrong. You continue to insist that a data plan is required despite the experiences of numerous people, some who are even in areas of zero coverage. I don't think any more proof is necessary

I believe you have misunderstood things that you have read elsewhere (or taken info that does not apply to the Touch), and this goes to show how a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

-GT
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue