PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

mike9191 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: htc touch gps

If you can enable the GPS thru a custom rom then you would not need a data plan. If you wait for the official upgrade you will need to add either a data plan that includes GPS or a separate GPS add on thru sprint. Right now for that phone , there is no option available for either way, but I cant see sprint allowing GPS to function thru an upgrade without figuring out a way to make a buck. GPS cant be purchased thru sprint since they have very few non blackberry phones that have GPS. They have managed to bundle GPS in a vision plan with other goodies like TV, and music.....Mike ( sprint customer care rep )
Old 06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch

tlcasper is just getting started

I have the bell version of the HTC Touch with Garmin XT installed. Just spent a week in the far north where there is zero coverage, nothing. And I had accurate SAT. lock anytime I fired it up. After reading your post I put the phone in airplane mode then fired up Garmin, locked in under 2 minutes.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike9191 View Post
If you can enable the GPS thru a custom rom then you would not need a data plan. If you wait for the official upgrade you will need to add either a data plan that includes GPS or a separate GPS add on thru sprint. Right now for that phone , there is no option available for either way, but I cant see sprint allowing GPS to function thru an upgrade without figuring out a way to make a buck. GPS cant be purchased thru sprint since they have very few non blackberry phones that have GPS. They have managed to bundle GPS in a vision plan with other goodies like TV, and music.....Mike ( sprint customer care rep )
Mike, The custom rom that will enable the GPS came from leaked rom. it is not written on scratched. This came from the carriers itself. Carriers decide if U can use the full potential of the chip or not. And besides, All cell phone chips is A-GPS. There's nothing else. So eventhough u have enable it urself, U will only make it a standalone A-GPS. I list example of phones with standalone A-GPS capabilities on my earlier posts. This is not very good either coz the chip inside is weak. Most phones GPS chip are made by qualcom hence it's called GPS one. The only way U can Use a GPS chip without the help of a cell tower is the one with SIRF III chipsets. These chipsets are highly sensitive and do the onboard computing. This is not on our cell phone because this chips are expensive. Phones eversince 2002 from sprint has GPS chips already which the main purpose is a requirement for e911 to pinpoint ur location. You do not need data plans on these cheap phone because the only reason it's there is to find ur whereaouts. It does not transmit any info on the phone from A-GPS server. Carriers locked this and did not make any software to use it as a navigation device.

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-18-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcasper View Post
I have the bell version of the HTC Touch with Garmin XT installed. Just spent a week in the far north where there is zero coverage, nothing. And I had accurate SAT. lock anytime I fired it up. After reading your post I put the phone in airplane mode then fired up Garmin, locked in under 2 minutes.
Ur GPS chip is different from ur radio. The satellite will still locate U but u cannot navigate if there is no way a data can access ur phone. The only way a satellite cannot lock on u is if U turn off ur phone completely.

Try this my brother, Put ur phone on flight mode then try to update ur weather. A simple application like that requires a data transfer isn't it?

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-18-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Ur GPS chip is different from ur radio. The satellite will still locate U but u cannot navigate if there is no way a data can access ur phone. The only way a satellite cannot lock on u is if U turn off ur phone completely.
Navigation worked just fine up north. I had just installed Garmin XT and was playing with some of the features.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcasper View Post
Navigation worked just fine up north. I had just installed Garmin XT and was playing with some of the features.
I cannot explain to you what happened up north coz it was u in there. I am speaking for the A-GPS technology and carriers standpoint. Now, if I ask U to prove that statement, Can U provide me and the readers some proof?

Edited: Oh yeah. On the other thread, Someone claimed that he has 2 HTC Touch which he use 1 at a time. He used the one that has no service from sprint as navigation and it worked. I was crossing my fingers that it has a standalone technology coz I have a touch too. as you can see in this link, a list of phones with A-GPS technology. Touch is not listed. Touch Might have a Different chip on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...h_Assisted_GPS

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-19-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 AM
╚════════════════╝

Hey casper, How about doing a little experiment. Turn ur radio off the get a lock. Then try to navigate on that settings. Lets confirm this. But make sure that there is no data coming in the phone just the GPS chip and your software. Since U have a touch, can anyone do this on a mogul? I wanna hear input from u too.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 AM
N00b

After midnight here I'll try and get some screen shots tomorrow after work.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Okta Touch
Carrier: Telecom NZ

njakobs is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs down Re: htc touch gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Hey casper, How about doing a little experiment. Turn ur radio off the get a lock. Then try to navigate on that settings. Lets confirm this. But make sure that there is no data coming in the phone just the GPS chip and your software. Since U have a touch, can anyone do this on a mogul? I wanna hear input from u too.
LMAO. Is this a way to get your post count up?

1) Touch has GPS, I can get a lock with phone and data off.

2) I can navigate with any number of Apps when phone and data are off.

3) I live in New Zealand where carrier doesn't have agps.
OKTA Touch (NZ)
Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 AM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by njakobs View Post
LMAO. Is this a way to get your post count up?

1) Touch has GPS, I can get a lock with phone and data off.

2) I can navigate with any number of Apps when phone and data are off.

3) I live in New Zealand where carrier doesn't have agps.
Ok basically, We are talking about U.S. carriers and A-GPS technology. Obviously Ur statement did not fall on any of the 2 which makes it not valid. Ur Touch is GSM which is completely different from CDMA. Even if U don't use cell tower, U still fall on the standalone type which I mentioned on the earlier post.and You are being sarcastic for a reason that I don't understand while U can disagree with respect. But I will still be nice with u. Can U pls. tell us what technology ur phone use and how it works. and can u pls. include a hard proof because I also want to learn that.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue