PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static
Re: htc touch gps

LOL. Are u reading what u wanna read anf ignoring what u wanna ignore on my post to find a hole? I did not mention any incorrect info. Get all my post and print it then read it. The quotes u r stating is the beginning part before post no. 42. GT is sounding he is so mad for some reason is so eager to disprove me while he have no valuable input at all. All of you is reading every words I say and keep ignoring the links. I'm am done with the topic. Go on with ur lives.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:24 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by acontrasto View Post
does it matter what type, we've already proven your original statement wrong.

I'm merely stating this:
1. E911 Location Service can take place with no service contract (phone or data) regardless of the type of A-GPS. This is government mandated.
2. Nav programs use the same API that E911 uses for location info
So far, no data connections have been made.
3. Therefore, the only time data would be needed is while downloading map tiles or traffic info (and possibly other reasons: wikimapia, FON, WarDriving, or NAC Geo services... to name a few)
4. What this all means is that if you store map tiles on a storage device and have a Nav Prog that accesses the same API as the E911 service (which it has to in order to find your location) then there is no use of data.
5. WinMo Programs such as TomTom, IGuidance, Garmin, IGo, OnCourseNavigator, and CoPilot Live, to name a few, all use stored maps.

Again, let me remind you that E911 Location info has been accessible from any phone with any type of A-GPS since '02 without any service plan... and also that Nav progs use that same location info, consequently not needing data.

If you ever take any graduate level classes that deal with wireless data, you will learn that just because you are not paying for a service plan, does not mean that your phone is not receiving signals from the network. It just means that you can not use those signals for dialing out, unless it's a 911 call. Since the GPS function is designed to use with E911, this location service remains intact at all times, even without a service plan. This is the sole reason that you do not need a data plan to access the location info from the A-GPS device, whether it be from a Nav Program or from my camera phone that records location info.

I hope I've cleared this up for you.
It does matter. Theres 4 of them read it and it's all different. Quote my explanation not the it is not require and I will point U to the link where it was explained.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: WM 6.5 Vogue and Android Vogue

natefish is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
Ok I have 2 that disagree. Keep it coming. I will tell U need a data plan to use the GPS as navigation tool.
If you have the Touch, why would you NOT want a data plan? Go get a wifi phone if you don't want a data plan. Plus, my experience with Sprint is that it's just so much easier if you have a data plan.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefish View Post
If you have the Touch, why would you NOT want a data plan? Go get a wifi phone if you don't want a data plan. Plus, my experience with Sprint is that it's just so much easier if you have a data plan.
lol
Read post 42
Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
╚════════════════╝

there are only 2 phone here that elude data plans. The Touch and the mogul. The rest will require data plan.aside from tilt,q9c and newer BB devices.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch

tlcasper is just getting started
Smile Re: htc touch gps

Quote:
Ultimately, The decision for enabling the GPS chips on our phone is up to the carriers. They can enable our GPS chip in any of the 4 types of A-GPS. standalone,MS,MS Assisted and Hybrid.Since nobody have proven what type of A-GPS in their phone is running, I Look for it myself. Yes, Our Moguls and Touch's have standalone A-GPS type. Thanks to sprint. This means that we do not need assistance from the A-GPS server to use our phone for navigation. I myself am glad too. But there is a downside on standalone A-GPS device. The signal will be weak Because like I said, it does not have a SIRF III chipset but I'll Take it. And since we have a standalone A-GPS, yes we do not need a DATA PLAN. Most of us here challenge me with my statement which I tried to answer the best that I can and I hope You are enlighten. We are lucky to have this kind of Chip coz Most phones GPS chip was enabled not having a standalone type. I only want a proof to tell me that the mogul and Touch have standalone but nobody stepped up and I look it up myself. this topic also in most forums and according to them moguls and Touch has standalone type. there is no concrete proof that we have a standalone but I would like to think it's that way. I would like to thank everyone that participated. For more info on where I'm coming from, Check this, It will help enlighten our questions coz there are other people here that use phone other than the mogul and the Touch. I think we have solved the problem and I am burrying the hatchet.
http://wmexperts.com/articles/gps_vs..._tutorial.html
Post #42 Yes I have read it.

Though no one has the physical proof you seem to be in need of, the fact that the Touch does what you have clearly pointed out that only a standalone GPS can do. Should be enough... it is for me as mine works with or without data. But as pointed out, we all have data plans anyway.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
GT!
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

GT! is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
LOL. Are u reading what u wanna read anf ignoring what u wanna ignore on my post to find a hole? I did not mention any incorrect info. Get all my post and print it then read it. The quotes u r stating is the beginning part before post no. 42. GT is sounding he is so mad for some reason is so eager to disprove me while he have no valuable input at all. All of you is reading every words I say and keep ignoring the links. I'm am done with the topic. Go on with ur lives.
I've read your links and still believe that you are wrong. I don't need to provide input, I'm not the one claiming I understand how all this works and making unsupported statements. If you want to prove your point, you need to explain how someone with no data connection can obtain a GPS lock and use it for navigation. There have been numerous people report this, and you have yet to provide an explanation.

I'm not mad, I'm frustrated with your inability to properly debate and analyze this, and your condescending attitude does not help. You seem to acknowledge that the Touch has a standalone GPS in post #42 (sigh ...) that will work without a data plan/connection, but then you later return to insisting that it does require one.

-GT
Old 06-19-2008, 11:35 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcasper View Post
Post #42 Yes I have read it.

Though no one has the physical proof you seem to be in need of, the fact that the Touch does what you have clearly pointed out that only a standalone GPS can do. Should be enough... it is for me as mine works with or without data. But as pointed out, we all have data plans anyway.
yes thank U
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT! View Post
I've read your links and still believe that you are wrong. I don't need to provide input, I'm not the one claiming I understand how all this works and making unsupported statements. If you want to prove your point, you need to explain how someone with no data connection can obtain a GPS lock and use it for navigation. There have been numerous people report this, and you have yet to provide an explanation.

I'm not mad, I'm frustrated with your inability to properly debate and analyze this, and your condescending attitude does not help. You seem to acknowledge that the Touch has a standalone GPS in post #42 (sigh ...) that will work without a data plan/connection, but then you later return to insisting that it does require one.

-GT
4 types of GPS in phones. stansalone, ms implied, ms assisted and ms assisted/hybrid. only Standalone does not need data connection. The rest require it. Touch and mogul fall on standalone which I myself confirm in other forums not just a claim of 2 persons. After post 42, Where did I claim touch needs data? Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 11:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & Touch PRO
Carrier: Bell

cutz is keeping up the good workcutz is keeping up the good work

does the gps have turn by turn navigation?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue