PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: scammer on craigslist

By the way, just because we hack our OWN phones does not make it any more "legal".

Lifted copies of Voice Command from other phones and the like.

It does not matter if you own a license for the orginal version or not.

So enough with the preaching about this "thief".

I agree he could be more up front that he is charging for labor.

I also agree it's not 15 minutes, depending on what variation you choose. Takes me a good hour to set up my phone the way I think works best and I did my buddies too and I even documented what I do here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27843

Slapping the leaked ROM on doesn't take long and may be all he is doing, who knows.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Everyone who didn't like what the guy did is jealous. Everyone that think what he did is fine, they think that the guy is just smart. Simple equation. If the chef of the cooked rom don't complain, Then leave the dude alone.

Last edited by jethro_static; 06-03-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tour hybrid/ EvoRooteD

brol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regularbrol1k is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to brol1k

I dont see anything wrong with what he did, the only thing he couldve done is probably give credit to the site and the developers, but then unless he is using his own custom rom, but then he would have to give credit to ppckitchen.org.....He is offering his service for installation of roms and probably cabs and exes, he isnt promoting the rom, he is promoting his installation services, who know if he donated to the cooker of the rom he is using, just like when u puy carpeting from home depot and want to install it on your own but the realize...damn its way to hard, so u call a carpet guy who that does installation!!!!!! see where it goes??? the price of 75 is way to high, and i think 50-60 is more considerable, and lets not forget people, we are in recession so if u can make extra money then hey what the hell.....so let the guy be. I work at the federal reserve and here about stuff like this everyday and it isnt illegal to offer installation services
Sprint 4g speed:
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: motorola droid
Carrier: verizon

jmcgee is starting in the wrong direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by brol1k View Post
I dont see anything wrong with what he did, the only thing he couldve done is probably give credit to the site and the developers, but then unless he is using his own custom rom, but then he would have to give credit to ppckitchen.org.....He is offering his service for installation of roms and probably cabs and exes, he isnt promoting the rom, he is promoting his installation services, who know if he donated to the cooker of the rom he is using, just like when u puy carpeting from home depot and want to install it on your own but the realize...damn its way to hard, so u call a carpet guy who that does installation!!!!!! see where it goes??? the price of 75 is way to high, and i think 50-60 is more considerable, and lets not forget people, we are in recession so if u can make extra money then hey what the hell.....so let the guy be. I work at the federal reserve and here about stuff like this everyday and it isnt illegal to offer installation services
I feel the same way. If people have a problem with what he's doing that's your business personaly I think that you just upset because you didn't think of it first. At least he's not selling drugs or killing folks yall need to grow up and stop being kindergarden students. unless you know his story and what he's done and who he's supported yall need to stop being judgemental because you just don't know further more i'm sure you do things on the side but do you get ridiculed?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: SGH-T959D leaked 'Official' froyo
Carrier: Telus

Rabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuff

I have a small part-time computer business and am starting to add wm handsets. I decided I would donate $20 to PPCKitchen and keep $35 for myself. I am upfront about what I am doing and the risks and the 2 people I have lined-up to do this for are fine with it. There a quite a few people that make enough money and don't have the time or patience to learn how to do this or just the confidence. I have done a couple for my friends (no charge) not because they can't but more because they are scared and trust me. This guy was a deuche for a lack of disclosure and for gouging.

ROM: DarkRoot
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

specv is becoming a great contributor

if someone i didnt know asked me "wow you u have GPS will u do that to my phone" id charge them $50. An hour of my time isnt free. Id tell him how and they could do it for themselves but I wouldnt do it for free. I got enough friends that think im there IT manager for their PPC's
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Straight Talk

DarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIPDarkLord is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
He's not selling the rom. He's selling a service just like gmfeny pointed out.
Here's a clearer analogy. My friend just bought a Pontiac G8. He took it to a tune shop.
They didn't add any equipment.
They tweaked the ECU on the car, and now he's got about a 30hp gain on his car.

I'm sure you guys can think of someone you know, that could read the best instructions in the world for flashing a new rom, but would never try it, or have any idea where to began even w/ the best direction you can give them.
I supervised an IT Help Desk for a while. There are tons of people that should pay someone to do roms instead of trying it on their own.
For example, anyone spending money on popup blocker software, or spyware remover software, those are perfect candidates for this guy. Anyone who pay's AOL for internet, or buys Norton Anti-Virus. All candidates for someone to do roms for them.

Some people have more money than sense, and, in some cases their time is worth more than trying to figure this stuff out.

I know how to mow a lawn and pull weeds, but in the time it takes me to do it, I make enough money to hire 10 gardeners, so I choose to pay someone to do it.
Same goes for the person that painted my house, and washes my car.
I could do it, but I'd rather pay someone to do it.

Think of how many people have paid to have their PC's ram upgraded. They pay for the memory, and they PAY for installation.
If you've ever installed ram, you know what a joke that is, but people that don't know, pay.

i have a buddy that owns a computer shop. he charges $125 to load an operating system on a computer. it's a flat fee. i actually had to use him because i was so busy with my regular billable work, i didn't have time to fix a broken computer at the office. to my knowledge, he doesn't pay microsoft any fees for installing their software. he's charging for his time.

i trade services for my friends. i work on their computers and my friends work on my plumbing, my cars and my crown molding. if it doesn't have a computer chip, i don't understand how it works. my friends are the same way with computers. they barely know how to turn them on.

ppcs are the same. if a person has basic knowledge, they can use the resourses around them to assist in upgrading other people's ppcs. other people that have no clue how to do a hard reset much less how to upgrade the rom and add new software.

all that being said. the only foul shot that this guy really made is to not fully disclose where he was getting the info from. other than that, as long a we have the type of business system that we have in the states where people get paid for their knowldge, i just have no problems at all with someone getting paid to offer a service to someone that doesn't know that service and it freaks me out a little that most of the postings here just aren't grasping that.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue