PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500
Carrier: Sprint

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: scammer on craigslist

I dont see anything wrong with it. Its like wanting a performance part for your car and you buy the part on your own and bring it to a car shop to get installed. They're not going to do it for free because you have the car and the part they will charge you for labor, and you probably dont know how to do it yourself. I do think that $75 is a little too much to be charging for something that will take you less than a hour though.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

Down With Him!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
I dont see anything wrong with it. Its like wanting a performance part for your car and you buy the part on your own and bring it to a car shop to get installed. They're not going to do it for free because you have the car and the part they will charge you for labor, and you probably dont know how to do it yourself. I do think that $75 is a little too much to be charging for something that will take you less than a hour though.
Yeh but its not ok if you went to autozone and stole the part. Its not ok to profit off someone else's work they did for free for a community for PERSONAL use (not commercial aka to resell).

Also, it DOESNT take an hour to flash a ROM. Ive done many to my own phone- maybe 10-15 min tops once you have the .nbh for it to install and to go through the setup screens. $75 for 15 min? sorry way too much. $20 is one thing but when you get excessive you draw attention.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

tantrum829 is keeping up the good worktantrum829 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
Yeh but its not ok if you went to autozone and stole the part. Its not ok to profit off someone else's work they did for free for a community for PERSONAL use (not commercial aka to resell).

Also, it DOESNT take an hour to flash a ROM. Ive done many to my own phone- maybe 10-15 min tops once you have the .nbh for it to install and to go through the setup screens. $75 for 15 min? sorry way too much. $20 is one thing but when you get excessive you draw attention.
Agree.

I doubt this guy is the founder or creator of all these things he is offering.
He is trying to make a profit from other peoples work.

I arrived to this site just a few months ago and lets just say I arrived with very little or no knowledge about PPC's and the best way to repay the people who teach you for free is to help others for free. The most anybody should do with this stuff is ask for a donation not something crazy like $75.00

Last edited by tantrum829; 06-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

He's not selling the rom. He's selling a service just like gmfeny pointed out.
Here's a clearer analogy. My friend just bought a Pontiac G8. He took it to a tune shop.
They didn't add any equipment.
They tweaked the ECU on the car, and now he's got about a 30hp gain on his car.

I'm sure you guys can think of someone you know, that could read the best instructions in the world for flashing a new rom, but would never try it, or have any idea where to began even w/ the best direction you can give them.
I supervised an IT Help Desk for a while. There are tons of people that should pay someone to do roms instead of trying it on their own.
For example, anyone spending money on popup blocker software, or spyware remover software, those are perfect candidates for this guy. Anyone who pay's AOL for internet, or buys Norton Anti-Virus. All candidates for someone to do roms for them.

Some people have more money than sense, and, in some cases their time is worth more than trying to figure this stuff out.

I know how to mow a lawn and pull weeds, but in the time it takes me to do it, I make enough money to hire 10 gardeners, so I choose to pay someone to do it.
Same goes for the person that painted my house, and washes my car.
I could do it, but I'd rather pay someone to do it.

Think of how many people have paid to have their PC's ram upgraded. They pay for the memory, and they PAY for installation.
If you've ever installed ram, you know what a joke that is, but people that don't know, pay.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Almost a VIP

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
He's not selling the rom. He's selling a service just like gmfeny pointed out.
Here's a clearer analogy. My friend just bought a Pontiac G8. He took it to a tune shop.
They didn't add any equipment.
They tweaked the ECU on the car, and now he's got about a 30hp gain on his car.

I'm sure you guys can think of someone you know, that could read the best instructions in the world for flashing a new rom, but would never try it, or have any idea where to began even w/ the best direction you can give them.
I supervised an IT Help Desk for a while. There are tons of people that should pay someone to do roms instead of trying it on their own.
For example, anyone spending money on popup blocker software, or spyware remover software, those are perfect candidates for this guy. Anyone who pay's AOL for internet, or buys Norton Anti-Virus. All candidates for someone to do roms for them.

Some people have more money than sense, and, in some cases their time is worth more than trying to figure this stuff out.

I know how to mow a lawn and pull weeds, but in the time it takes me to do it, I make enough money to hire 10 gardeners, so I choose to pay someone to do it.
Same goes for the person that painted my house, and washes my car.
I could do it, but I'd rather pay someone to do it.

Think of how many people have paid to have their PC's ram upgraded. They pay for the memory, and they PAY for installation.
If you've ever installed ram, you know what a joke that is, but people that don't know, pay.
LOL thank you i couldnt have said it better myself
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

no because they PAID for the ECU software, they are charging for labor and recouping the cost of the unit and software. If you help someone set up Norton they PAID for the software. You didnt pirate the software and then try to sell it off as a service at an insane price.

This is STEALING software and then charging an insane price to install it. they have no overhead since it was free. No one has a problem with a small install fee of say $20 for your time, but STEALING the software with no credit or fee to the writer is wrong. If theyre charging $75 they should be donating $30-40 of it to the ROM developer then by your analogies

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 06-02-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Almost a VIP

Well then thats like if someone buy a computer and it comes with free software but this someone cant figure out how to install it and they really want the software. Someone will charge them for installing it for them.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Almost a VIP

There is another thread on here about the same topic but this person was selling their services on ebay
Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfeny View Post
Well then thats like if someone buy a computer and it comes with free software but this someone cant figure out how to install it and they really want the software. Someone will charge them for installing it for them.
Is it legal to buy a copy of x or y software for say $50 and install it for the cost of the software + a fee ($25) for your time? Yes. Is it legal/morally right to pirate a copy of the software for nothing and then charge the same high $75 fee as situation A? No

Once again free software is one thing, ROMs are NOT commercially distributed software theyre for personal use. Charging for services is fine, charging an insane amount when pirating software is wrong.

take out the fact ROMs are gray area legal. is it legal to sell off someones work they did for community benefit, NOT to make a profit themselves. therefore no one should be making profit ($75 is NOT all time for a 15 min process) off someone else's work unless they intend to donate to the cause.

this attitude is what will cause less and less Rom developers to continue to develop if people feel its ok to sell off their donation to the community. They put time and and what do THEY get? nothing. so these leeches shouldnt be allowed to sell off the hard work of others

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 06-02-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue