PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What kind of screen did you get?
Sprint good screen 183 40.94%
Sprint Bad screen 176 39.37%
Verizon good screen 45 10.07%
Verizon bad screen 3 0.67%
Other good screen 34 7.61%
Other bad screen 6 1.34%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Good vs Bad screens (pictures + videos of both)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcuser Part Duex View Post
Now.. i just need to buy a can of high pressure air to blue off all the dust inside the screen that stay in there when I opened it up. :P

I had read another post about screen protectors, and 'sebo' says to lock yourself in the bathroom, and then steam it up. Dunno if you would want to have your Touch all exposed in a steamy room though....
Old 05-17-2008, 03:47 PM
rdwing

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

use clear packing tape to take off the dust.

SUE SUE SUE!!!! haha
Old 05-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcuser Part Duex View Post
Hello all. This is htcuser.. the original poster of the other thread that got closed. i don't know why I got banned.. specially since I was not one of the Op who was flaming on the thread. Well anyways.... I saw this thread and got encouraged to continue my quest in finding out why this is happening to our phone. So as you all know from my other thread... I have another Touch that is useless so I decided to open it up and see if I can find the problem in why we have such a terrible view angle. Last time I went as far as opening up the phone and exposing the screen. I did not take the screen off because I did not want to break it. But.... exposing the screen I did notice that there was a film on top of the screen like a screen protector. I found it odd because our fingers would never touch the actual screen since its enclosed. Well anyways.. I thought maybe this film way the polarizing film causing us the poor viewing angle. So I went ahead and peeled it off slowly to prevent damage to the screen. It took me about 30 minutes of slowly peeling the thing since it was glued permanently. Definitely was not meant to be removed! So anyways... the film was not the problem. All it was is a darker film to reduce the screen brightness. Once the film was off the touch screen would light up very bright white and unusable.Once I laid the film back on top.. then it would look normal. SO.. THATS HOW FAR i GOT LAST TIME. NOW... THIS TIME i WENT A LITTLE FURTHER MORE. Actually.. I went for the whole cake. Encourage by this thread I decided to open up the Touch once more and go all out on it. This time I pulled the whole screen out from the phone. And ripped the screen apart as much as I could and did without damaging it. Ok... so this is whats inside. I will start from the actual glass screen in which we view. Ok heres the stack order,,,....

1: Glass screen
2: thin blurry transparent film
3: another thin blurry transparent film
4: Thick plastic layer (LED's resides on the bottom of this layer)
5: Somewhat of a think plastic metallic mirror like layer.

1 to 5 are enclosed in 2 aluminum housings in which make up the whole LCD monitor.

Thats it... 5 layers of parts. My suspicions from observing the parts was that number 2 and 3 layers were the culprit in which are polarizing the image. It could not be the glass since glass is clear, it could not be the 5th layer since thats is like a mirror and reflect all the bright light of the back light, and it could not be the 4th layer since thats where the actual LED light are and thats what emits all the light. Sooo.. between the 1st and 4th and 5th layers there is 2 and 3. The 2 suspicious films. So ok.. i figured.. let me rig up the batter and turn it on and see how the screen look with out them on. So I did,,,,, unfortunately.. those 2 layers don't come off since they are fused to the actual 4th back light layer. Only way to take them off was to cut them. Of course I didn't do that.. i want to save the phone. So what i did was to fold them inwards out the way and then see the screen without them in between. So I did..... I finally did. Once both films were out the way.. guess what? The terrible viewing angle is STILL THERE!!!!!! Arrrg!! Sooo close!So next obvious step is to fold everything except the back light layer and see the screen. i di and the problem is still there. :P

So..... ladies and germs...... The conclusion is that the actual problem lays on the actual GLASS screen where the image is processed. So there is no fix but to get a real manufacture proper screen. The actual glass does have one more film on it but that film cannot be peeled off ... otherwise you are peeling off the actual image you see when the phone is turned on. SO that small film that displays the image is actually the culprit. Damn..................... soo close.

Took me about 4 hours of testing.. seeing.... observing... and ripping apart and putting everything back. I learned how to dismantle the phone completely so at least i gained that knowledge. :P . Now.. i just need to buy a can of high pressure air to blue off all the dust inside the screen that stay in there when I opened it up. :P

I hope you all understand that we did get ripped off once more by Sprint of HTC. I don't know who to blame .. but the ones that got the terrible view angle screen are the real suckers. (ME)
your "innocence" in your ban shines through by yet violating the rules again making another screename after a ban...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
N00b

slidez is a n00b

Well I just exchanged my Touch for another due to another issue and got the same screen. Doh!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

cbus is keeping up the good workcbus is keeping up the good work

I have a Sprint Touch and my friend just got the Verizon version. Right away I noticed that our screens were noticably different. You could see his screen at any angle and just a slight movement at any angle and mine was not visable.

It looked as if his backlight was actually coming from beneath his screen while my backlight looked like it was coming from the sides.

Straight on viewing - his had deeper blacks and mine looked good but definately washed out compared to his.

Don't know if you would say its a ripoff but I would prefer his screen over mine. Seems pointless to have a screen you can't view in the sunlight. try watching a video on my screen while outside - useless!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

strommsarnac is just getting started

I have a sprint Touch I bought less than 2 months ago. I'd say I have a 50 degree vertical viewing angle and a 70 degree horizontal angle (left/right).

However, I am using the protector that came in the box with the phone and I know it's HORRIBLE for reflectivity. I just haven't bothered to replace it with an aftermarket non-reflective unit.

Also, I think the worse thing about the screen is that it's almost impossible to use out in the sun. Heck, even when it's clouded over it's hard to see.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned User

htcuser Part Duex is a n00b

Yes, the Verizon version is equip with the good screen. I have not seen one verizon with a bad screen.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

cant take a hint to stop making new screenames bud?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
cant take a hint to stop making new screenames bud?

Or at least pretend to be clever and change the name...
Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO(AT&T Fuze)
Carrier: T-Mobile Pre-Paid

DHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the community

Does anybody actually know the difference in the model of these screens because I am very interested in buying the good one as I have a $hitty screen. It gets all washed out even minor angles. Pretty bad...

I would love to know where I can buy a new screen that looks like the "good screen" above.

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue