PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone using iGO 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez View Post
have you been able to find the airport? it's not even listed in the POI's. Or I'm not following the right steps to locate it....
Do you mean the category airport in the poi or a particular airport in a city?

Edited**

Just did a search for the nearest airport near Detroit, and the nearest result was 32miles away.

Last edited by mardukeme; 05-21-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: AT&T Tilt

Wildwillis is a n00b

Great discussion so far on this. I just signed up on PPCGeeks after a few months on XDA because this is the best discussion I've found on iGO8 and US maps. This is my first attempt at using iGO (v8 final) and it appears to be working without a hitch on my Kaiser.

I can't get it to recognize any of my US maps though. I'm in NY, so I put the NY map (v 2007.07_070813) in Storage Card/iGO8/Content/map; as well as the NY poi file in the poi folder, the NY building file in the building folder, and the US dem file in the dem folder.

When I go to settings-->about, I only see the basemap. The terrain file may be working because I see some terrain in NY when I zoom out, but I'm not sure if that's part of the base map or not. Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Shrink is a n00b

I was in the same position as you and after doing some research in other online forums learned that version 8 will not use version 7 maps. I can see the point for European maps as version 8 maps have been released but none for North America. I have yet to find a hack to bypass this. For me, however, the Garmin maps are more accurate than the version 7 iGo maps so I am not missing much.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez View Post
have you been able to find the airport? it's not even listed in the POI's. Or I'm not following the right steps to locate it....
well i found out from some "pros" that any US maps out are betas and not the final US maps which is why the Michigan POI are only half there which i noticed too. Only the Europe are out officially and the US ones will be out this summer as said above.

I refuse to use Garmin, its just too watered down and the maps have nowhere near the detail or options as Igo offers. Igo is still the best GPS program by far over Tomtom, Garmin, telenav etc. IMO.

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 05-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Lurker

Wildwillis is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I was in the same position as you and after doing some research in other online forums learned that version 8 will not use version 7 maps. I can see the point for European maps as version 8 maps have been released but none for North America. I have yet to find a hack to bypass this. For me, however, the Garmin maps are more accurate than the version 7 iGo maps so I am not missing much.
Thanks for the info. I saw something about that too, but then I've seen a lot of people talking about using US maps (it seems). Perhaps they've all been using the V8 beta the expired at the beginning of May (or something like that).

SprintTough8 - are you getting Michigan V7 maps to load on V8 Final or on the beta version?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

To my knowledge, all the US maps currently available are from the v8 beta. I have no idea if the v7 maps work, but I do know that the v8 beta maps work just fine (and are very accurate for my region).

I do have a question though. What exactly is the purpose of the Phoneme files?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

jdw7985 is becoming a great contributor

one thing i like on garmin is most poi's are already installed wit my maps, i tried the site listed for poi's and didnt like havin to do one by one for everything, thats if i can even get them to load
Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Shrink is a n00b

I sure would like to know where to get ahold of iGo 8 beta <g>.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Lurker

rnobles is a n00b

Does this run faster than TomTom 6? I really like TomTom except for:

-Speed of menus and routing
-No text-to-speech of street names

Does iGO 8 do either or both of these better. If so I really would like to get my hands on the iGO8 beta with US maps.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Lurker

Wildwillis is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
To my knowledge, all the US maps currently available are from the v8 beta. I have no idea if the v7 maps work, but I do know that the v8 beta maps work just fine (and are very accurate for my region).

I do have a question though. What exactly is the purpose of the Phoneme files?
Are you using those V8 beta maps on iGO8 beta or final?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue