PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Who Would Jump To The New Iphone?

The iPhone is a superior -device- (look up it's build price compared to say, the Palm Pre... You're looking at a $200-300 difference to BUILD), crippled by software that must appeal to the masses. Look how mad everyone is about the current iPhone's speed with apple giving their all to get it to perform one application as well as possible. When you jailbreak them and run multiple apps in the background they slow down like every other smartphone out there.

I like the customizability of my WinMo phone, it gives me hope that Microsoft can pull it out. I'm just unhappy because my TP is relatively ugly, big, heavy, has poor battery life, and poor build quality... but it -is- cheaper than the iPhone. Trade-offs, really...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

frazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfrazell is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

For me, I can't jump ship to the iPhone. There are far too many negatives for me and I'm not sure I can actually find any positives. That doesn't mean the competition isn't a good thing (it is) and it doesn't mean the iPhone isn't a good choice for some people. Apple did a fantastic job of making a smartphone for the consumers and not for the technically inclined business professional.

The cons are numerous...
  1. 1 Carrier, AT&T
  2. No hardware keyboard
  3. An "Apple Tax" (iPhone plans are more expensive than non-iPhone plans)
  4. Weak Exchange support compared to Windows Mobile
  5. No background applications
  6. Mac requirement to do development
  7. Captive touch screen (yes I perfer to use my stylus)
  8. No Micro-SDHC support
  9. And more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elosogrande7076 View Post
The only thing i like that the Iphone has over the TP is the screen size and safari. I have thought about for a second since my gf has one but like i always told her everything that her Iphone can do, my phone can do better...
I tried Safari on the iPhone in the AT&T store last week side by side with my Touch Pro with Opera 9.5 and I couldn't find out why Safari is considered good. It didn't reformat the text when you zoom in like Opera does and it didn't make zooming in easy (I had to do that pinch zoom thing? A double tap makes so much more sense and is easier to do one handed).

The speed was also slower than Opera 9.5 (but that was on a store display model so that's not a fair comparison).

The new Opera 9.7 is like 2x as fast as 9.5 lol so that probably creams any iPhone's Safari.
Free Disposable Email: MyTrashMail
Old 06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

gorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good workgorelow is keeping up the good work

wow 5 pages of responses to my thread. thanks guys. i havent had a thread so successful since i asked top 100 reasons why paris hilton should be put under a steamroller
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorelow View Post
wow 5 pages of responses to my thread. thanks guys. i havent had a thread so successful since i asked top 100 reasons why paris hilton should be put under a steamroller
With an iphone in her hand

jk iphone users
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Very Important Person
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

ruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIPruskiyab is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

My cat's breath smells like cat food

Last edited by ruskiyab; 06-09-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehrhard View Post
Actually there is a slingbox client. It cost 29.99 and does not allow you to use 3G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technology1 View Post
No sir, AT$T killed the SlingBox app on their new 3g 7.2MB network, that $29.95 slingBox app must be a wifi app.... This is big talk over at http://www.slingcommunity.com ... Check it out dude....
Seriously dude? Did you even read what I posted? I specifically said it does not use 3G. I was telling you that you were incorrect in your statement that there was no sling app available. It actually works pretty good though my TP's internet using wmwifirouter. I actually dont care about the 3g limitation caus I only have a iPod touch anyway and I get to use it on the Now network

Each platform has its pluses and minus hell even Symbian has some endearing qualities. Each has its fanboys. I for one will abandon WM in a heartbeat if Android, WebOS, or what ever meets my needs the better down the road. Right now WM is the best for what I DO.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

kabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuffkabuk1 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to kabuk1 Send a message via Yahoo to kabuk1

Meow!

heh...

kabuk1's battery life tips ~ TamsPPC
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskiyab View Post
My cat's breath smells like cat food
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
Meow!

heh...
????????????????????????????

Speak for yourselves, I love me my iPhone