PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

GGlover is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Does flashing the radio change the amount of radiation the phone emits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceXMachine View Post
Nothing changed. They are both 1.43 SAR. Where did you see that the Sprint TP was .90?
The touch pro phone manual for one states the SAR at .90 and CNET also reviewed it as such.

But the whole reason I ask is if it stays low no matter the radio version that's cool, if not and I don't see a difference in reception, I'll go back to the old radio version with less rads... I mean, why not?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

GGlover is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMJB View Post
I'm a Biologist. I can say with certainty that the risk you're putting yourself through with the phone is far less than those big macs you cram down your throat. The people who get behind this cause are the same nutjobs that think vaccines are bad. The main "problem" proposed is with Dielectric heating. The radiation the phone emits basically heats living tissue a fraction of a degree. This is much less than when exposed to sunlight. If this was a problem we'd all shrivel up and die when we walked outside.

Most of the studies that claim there are problems use Sar values of 100+ times what a phone emits. It's a very casual relationship at that.

All the people who yelled "cancer" were proved wrong a while ago.
1st, sorry for doubleposting but I'm at a terminal that barely allows me internet access at all...

So to the point, why put a regulation at 1.6KW SAR at all if it only hurts at 100 times that? Obviously there is some reason it was instated. I am not against vaccines at all, they strengthen the body... In no way do I see how radiation from a phone can strengthen me. It just excites molecules the same way Microwaves do in places they shouldn't be excited... Eventually breaking them down and mutating them as any cell that gets constantly broken down does when it repairs itself. And in the brain's case, it just doesn't heal/repair at all. Thus my concern.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

TPMJB is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGlover View Post
1st, sorry for doubleposting but I'm at a terminal that barely allows me internet access at all...

So to the point, why put a regulation at 1.6KW SAR at all if it only hurts at 100 times that? Obviously there is some reason it was instated. I am not against vaccines at all, they strengthen the body... In no way do I see how radiation from a phone can strengthen me. It just excites molecules the same way Microwaves do in places they shouldn't be excited... Eventually breaking them down and mutating them as any cell that gets constantly broken down does when it repairs itself. And in the brain's case, it just doesn't heal/repair at all. Thus my concern.
The test that states the level of 100-140 SAR was only done in mice. While mice are good model organisms, they're not perfect. Due to the possible danger in humans, it would likely not be tested further. Since there was concern that SAR could be harmful, they likely did an assessment of quality vs SAR level and went for a value that had the lowest value of SAR for the best quality. If raising the value only brings back a small gain in performance, there's no need to modify even if it was entirely harmless at any level. People also whine about retinoblastoma due to this, which is so incredibly rare.

As for the "excited" molecules. It doesn't matter. There's no breakdown or anything. It just modifies the spin of the molecules creating less than a degree of heat. You did give me an idea for a research topic though...

There are repair pathways in the brain. Since it causes no damage at such low levels, there's no need to even go into this.

The heat emitted does kill sperm though. I frequently keep my phone in my crotch while I'm driving too...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Good thing we have a lot of genetic exposure to radiation in the form of....sunlight.

Oh, and I hope you aren't touching your actual skin with that bluetooth headset or the phone. You know, all those synthetic materials.

Oh, and I hope you don't eat food cooked near anything teflon....or any grilled meats.

Fill up your car with gas? Ever think what those smells are? Refined hydrocarbon fumes; very carcinogenic.

Or hey, what about fluoride in the water? Communist plot. We must protect our precious bodily fluids.

What I'm getting at is I'm sure I've got a vastly greater chance of getting cancer from sun exposure or air pollution than I ever have to by holding a heldheld radio wave maker up to my head for 30 seconds.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

GGlover is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny32 View Post
Good thing we have a lot of genetic exposure to radiation in the form of....sunlight.

Oh, and I hope you aren't touching your actual skin with that bluetooth headset or the phone. You know, all those synthetic materials.

Oh, and I hope you don't eat food cooked near anything teflon....or any grilled meats.

Fill up your car with gas? Ever think what those smells are? Refined hydrocarbon fumes; very carcinogenic.

Or hey, what about fluoride in the water? Communist plot. We must protect our precious bodily fluids.

What I'm getting at is I'm sure I've got a vastly greater chance of getting cancer from sun exposure or air pollution than I ever have to by holding a heldheld radio wave maker up to my head for 30 seconds.
Wow I must have really touched on a nerve while all I was asking was if changing the radio increases or decreases SAR... AND just because I'm feeling especially saucey right now I'll counter all of your carefully thought out love filled responses obviously intended to peg me to one stereotype or another.

1. Do you hold the Sun directly to your head everytime you go outside? Our bodies are designed to absorb or resist exposure to the sun's rays not concentrated evil coming out of our phones ... Except as you say above skin cancer which is due to the depleted ozone layer caused by overuse of cellphones!!

2. Synthetic materials? Wha? Ohh crap I guess I need to go back to organic cotton and burlap boxers... Mmmm burlap it itches Soooo goood...

3. Well you have a point about Teflon I don't use it because it will kill my birds if they are too close to the fumes it puts out. Fact not hypothesis! I have no birds anymore

4. How often do you fill up your car? Every day for hours a day? Me I have a solar-powered unicycle that nets me 100,000 miles till (whatever scale used here)

5. Flouride good for kids; strong bones good tooth enamel... Not so much for adults if too much is consumed as it causes paranoia about cellphone radiation.

6. You only use your phone for 30 seconds hourly/daily/ever? But seriously I tend to use mine a bit more than most, what with working for a cellphone company and all and I understand what you were getting at, but why stack it all up like that? If you can at least stop (or lessen) one source of health debilitating awesomeness why not?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Wow I must have really touched on a nerve while all I was asking was if changing the radio increases or decreases SAR... AND just because I'm feeling especially saucey right now I'll counter all of your carefully thought out love filled responses obviously intended to peg me to one stereotype or another.

1. Do you hold the Sun directly to your head everytime you go outside? Our bodies are designed to absorb or resist exposure to the sun's rays not concentrated evil coming out of our phones ... Except as you say above skin cancer which is due to the depleted ozone layer caused by overuse of cellphones!!

2. Synthetic materials? Wha? Ohh crap I guess I need to go back to organic cotton and burlap boxers... Mmmm burlap it itches Soooo goood...

3. Well you have a point about Teflon I don't use it because it will kill my birds if they are too close to the fumes it puts out. Fact not hypothesis! I have no birds anymore

4. How often do you fill up your car? Every day for hours a day? Me I have a solar-powered unicycle that nets me 100,000 miles till (whatever scale used here)

5. Flouride good for kids; strong bones good tooth enamel... Not so much for adults if too much is consumed as it causes paranoia about cellphone radiation.

6. You only use your phone for 30 seconds hourly/daily/ever? But seriously I tend to use mine a bit more than most, what with working for a cellphone company and all and I understand what you were getting at, but why stack it all up like that? If you can at least stop (or lessen) one source of health debilitating awesomeness why not?
Owned? I think so. You're still a putz tho.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

GGlover is a n00b

Putz... Yeah I'll take that. Foolish (for now I know it's a hotly debated topic (well not hotly.. as it was just everyone against me...)) question met with hostile response.

Whew my first post, made entirely out of curiosity and I got flamed so badly I could probably see my skeleton had my eyes not been melted first.

Ahh hell just had another thought... Can flaming cause cancer?

Last edited by GGlover; 05-18-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Alltel Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff

Quote:
Putz... Yeah I'll take that. Foolish (now I know it's a hotly debated topic) question met with hostile response.

Whew my first post, made entirely out of curiosity and I got flamed so bad I could probably see my skeleton had my eyes not been melted first. Ahh hell can flaming cause cancer?
Well, my first post was going to be a flame because I did think it was a rather stupid question...but it was over the top and was worried it might get me slap on the wrist or a brisk spanking so I toned it down.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

TPMJB is just getting started

Quote:
Putz... Yeah I'll take that. Foolish (for now I know it's
Ahh hell just had another thought... Can flaming cause cancer?
Well repeated psychological stress will weaken the immune system, which COULD CAUSE CANCER ZOMG!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

GGlover is a n00b

Who even started the whole cancer thing in this thread anyway? All I wanted to know was if I could pop popcorn more effectively with a new radio installed...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro