PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Noob
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Baffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation levelBaffles can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Baffles
Re: :::Best Buy::: Checking Phone's build date before buying/swapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rento_VW View Post
- creaky keyboard on the right side
- unevenly lit keyboard, QWERTYASDFZXCV are dim #3 is the brightest button...
- back button kinda pops when pushed, mostly when using keyboard.
- and the slide keyboard/screen has a bit of wobble... side to side closed and open.

That was my last phone... This one is about the same except now the screen is bulding out and the face-keys are like.... popped out... and it keeps freezing.

I'm just trading it in again....
Yeah, I hope they turn you down, just like they do most people who have legit reasons for wanting a swap.

This reminds me of those AT&T commercials where everyone's whining and crying cause they don't want "old rollover minutes."

baf.cc | GPS Toggler | Touch Pro Essentials | Got MSL?
Donations are accepted and greatly appreciated.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: tp2!
Carrier: the one

orlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stufforlandojumpoff knows their stuff

Quote:
So.... I just got another Touch Pro from my Best Buy... Only to find the build date is 11/24/08 only 3 days newer than my previous one.

Pretty ticked off... Going to swap it in again tomorrow.

As for swapping, do I have to swap it at the Best Buy I bought it at, or can I bring it into another Best Buy?

Is there a way I can check the build date before all the set-up stuff? This way this will be the LAST time I walk in and swap it.
Quote:
- creaky keyboard on the right side
- unevenly lit keyboard, QWERTYASDFZXCV are dim #3 is the brightest button...
- back button kinda pops when pushed, mostly when using keyboard.
- and the slide keyboard/screen has a bit of wobble... side to side closed and open.

That was my last phone... This one is about the same except now the screen is bulding out and the face-keys are like.... popped out... and it keeps freezing.

I'm just trading it in again....
sorry, rento i'm calling you on being full of shhh for your reasons (after the fact) on returning...
maybe with your first phone, but the way you wrote your original post... it all points at you returning it just because you saw the build date (which freaked u out i guess?). You also clearly point out that if you go to the store and get the build date you want, you'll never return it again - as if the build date cures all. That's so illogical. If you read other legit exchange posts, you'll see why yours seems to be full of it. You didnt mention defects at all in your original post... all u did was complain about a freakin build date like that was a defect within itself and a good enough reason to return.

My guess is you read our reactions and didn't wanna get flamed. You would have noticed all these things at the store when you bought it anyway cause they're all cosmetic... Wouldn't you have returned it right there? or at least told them to get another one? yeah, definitely calling your bluff.

I'm just going to tell you what everyone else here would. Don't look at the build date as the sole indicator. Look for the defects yourself and if you don't see any, hold onto it no matter what the date. If you really do have these problems, you best have them open up every pro until you find one that lives up to your standards. I'm not looking for argument, your original post is highly suspicious and i wouldn't take your word anymore if my life depended on it. I'm gonna leave you alone as i'm sure neither of us cares, but like i said... if ur phone doesn't have any problems, hold onto it or you may just regret it.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro.
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Rento_VW is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffles View Post
Yeah, I hope they turn you down, just like they do most people who have legit reasons for wanting a swap.

This reminds me of those AT&T commercials where everyone's whining and crying cause they don't want "old rollover minutes."
I have a friend who works there, I also explained to them the same exact thing and they said, "fair enough."

Go ahead and call a bluff, I posted about it a few weeks back on sprintusers.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=179604

Last edited by Rento_VW; 01-07-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Woot indeed...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 AM
N00b

Decidion is just getting started

I have seen three different TPs with three different build dates (11/14, 11/26 and 12/2). The builds from November had a different ROM build than the December build and had overheating issues. The December build had no overheating issues (at very slightly more available RAM).
Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidion View Post
I have seen three different TPs with three different build dates (11/14, 11/26 and 12/2). The builds from November had a different ROM build than the December build and had overheating issues. The December build had no overheating issues (at very slightly more available RAM).
I don't think I can believe this, as it would be all over the ROM section... Have I missed the boat?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro.
Threadstarter

Rento_VW is just getting started

I dunno.. the outlook on build dates on sprintusers vs here is totally a different aspect as there's a lot of speculation of newer build date phones being much more hardy than the older ones over at sprintusers.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 AM
N00b

Decidion is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoc View Post
I don't think I can believe this, as it would be all over the ROM section... Have I missed the boat?
Well I'm not a ROM programmer and don't have all three available to do any further checking. What led me to this conclusion is in trying to restore backups (using SPB Backup) from one phone (the 12/2 build date) to another (the 11/26 build date) generated a message from the software saying the ROMs were of different builds and I would have to use ROM Compatibility mode (which still didn't work anyway).

Perhaps I was wrong in coming to this conclusion?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
I dunno.. the outlook on build dates on sprintusers vs here is totally a different aspect as there's a lot of speculation of newer build date phones being much more hardy than the older ones over at sprintusers.
sprintusers<ppcgeeks, I'd take their opinions with a grain of salt. If there were superior builds according to date, ppcgeeks would know already. It's still like playing the lottery from what I understand. There are many, many people with satisfactory early builds. Within the first month of release or so, we're just bound to hear more complaints. Now (months later), you hear one person say they have a perfect phone and everyone jumps on that build date and a rumor starts that something has changed. The next day you will hear complaints from people with these build dates. Nothing major has changed. I can say nothing has changed because with 700+ tp users, the first phone to replacement phone to completely returned phone ratio has been exactly the same since the very beginning. The same percentages of people are keeping their first purchase (80%), exchanging-then keeping (15%), and completely returning (%5). All complaints are not equal, as some people like to nitpick more than others. Like others said, go by firsthand experience and not the actual build date. Return phones if YOU don't approve, not because of other people's experience/opinions. I've been fine with my phone and I have an earlier build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decidion View Post

Perhaps I was wrong in coming to this conclusion?
I think you're right about coming to the conclusion that you may have been wrong.
If there were different ROMs that fixed a supposed major flaw, it would be everywhere, including HTC's support site where you download rom and software updates.

Last edited by lipidfats; 01-07-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

wphend00 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to wphend00 Send a message via AIM to wphend00 Send a message via MSN to wphend00 Send a message via Yahoo to wphend00

Quick question, for you guys in the "know"

Ok, so I have my phone. I have had it since November or October, when they were first released (October 19th or 25th, I can't remember).

I bought it from Best Buy...

I have noticed a couple of things... but I just never returned the phone....

A) There is a weird, square rainbow discoloration on the screen, that is visible, at an angle, when you turn the phone off. It is about an inch in diameter and shaped like a square. It will not come off, no matter how much I wipe the screen with a micro-fibre cloth.

B) The home button has a slight crack between it and the bottom of the display, and thus the corner comes up higher on the edge.

I have spoken to 3 different reps with Sprint, and they have said that all I have to do, is to walk into my nearest sprint store and get the phone replaced through manufacturer warranty. But that is not the case, when I walked into the Sprint store, down the street from my office. Now, to be fair, when I showed them the phone, the Store Rep was like "well, they are not going to replace it because of a cosmetic issue", and that was in regards to the raised Home button issue. I had forgotten to show her the discoloration on the Display...

Do I need to return the phone to Best Buy? Or should I be able to successfully argue my case with one of the Sprint Store reps?

Some more facts...

MEID (Hex) is A10000078020DF
Build Date is October 13th
Original Activiation is October 25th

Last edited by wphend00; 01-07-2009 at 10:47 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro