PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

TechnoHippie is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Internet while on a call?

In theory if you had VOIP software on the phone you could do it.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoHippie View Post
In theory if you had VOIP software on the phone you could do it.
How do you figure? VOIP would be using your data connection...if an incoming call came in, your VOIP connection would be dropped (or vice versa...you couldn't make a voice call without dropping your VOIP/data connection).

You'd still have the same issues as making a normal cellular call and attempting to use a data connection at the same time.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on repjaminmc is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
his phone was probably connected to activesync lmao
No, my friend doesn't even have internet on his computer.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
the fact that at&t is able to do video and data has nothing to do with the phones its all about the network. Sprints network isn't even capable of doing this right now. Sprint calls there network 3g but in actuallity its rev a not 3g. They call it a 3g network because the bandwidth that its capable of is better or even at worse. Yes at&t can do voice and data but there 3g network is ridiculously slow compared to sprints evdo rev a. It has nothing to do with anyones area, its just not possible with rev a , hopefully with wimax it will be able to support high speeds and data at the sametime.
Again, not exactly.

EVDO Rev A IS 3g by loose 3g definitions. ATT's UMTS, when coupled with HSDPA and HSUPA (and faster HSDPA/HSUPA phones), under good coverage conditions, can be faster than EVDO Rev A in general. I won't get into the numbers or technical details, but my ATT HSDPA 7.2 phone runs circles around my Rev A. Sprint phone under similar coverage conditions time and again. If you're talking about EDGE or GPRS--yes they are slow--but they are not "3G".

And no, it's not just the network. The phone has to support the protocol (UMTS/HSDPA) and upload/download speeds (3.6/7.2). A GSM or TDMA phone CANNOT do simultaneous voice/data even though it is on ATT's network. So no, it's not just "all about the network".

Reprising my earlier posts, I believe we have the responsiblity to at least attempt to provide information that is as accurate as possible.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

937dytboi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
Actually, youre right. the Sprints network is capable of voice+data simultaneously. I wouldnt say its a "limitation", but its up to the carrier to enable the ability, and for various reasons that im pretty sure are much too technical for me, Sprint/Alltel/VZ decided not to implement that feature.

For any of the doubters or naysayers, research the EVDO technology and you will find it is capable of this feature
I was hoping that the EVDO would have done this, i was so anxious on my Mogul when updated but failed. Im hoping for this feature to so i can use the internet from my phone on my carputer in my vehicle
Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT, DONT LAUGH TOO HARD

kaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkaoss_11 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

so why can you text while on a call
Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss_11 View Post
so why can you text while on a call
Texting doesn't use data.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Rhodium/Leo
Carrier: Sprint/TMOUS

sumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on repsumo911 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
Thats funny cause when I was with tmobile, i paid $15 - $20 for a data plan, which included text messaging. If text isnt data, why is/was it included in data plans?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
Technically it uses the 1X network, so yes it does.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
Again, not exactly.

EVDO Rev A IS 3g by loose 3g definitions. ATT's UMTS, when coupled with HSDPA and HSUPA (and faster HSDPA/HSUPA phones), under good coverage conditions, can be faster than EVDO Rev A in general. I won't get into the numbers or technical details, but my ATT HSDPA 7.2 phone runs circles around my Rev A. Sprint phone under similar coverage conditions time and again. If you're talking about EDGE or GPRS--yes they are slow--but they are not "3G".

And no, it's not just the network. The phone has to support the protocol (UMTS/HSDPA) and upload/download speeds (3.6/7.2). A GSM or TDMA phone CANNOT do simultaneous voice/data even though it is on ATT's network. So no, it's not just "all about the network".

Reprising my earlier posts, I believe we have the responsiblity to at least attempt to provide information that is as accurate as possible.
This is a round about, of course the phone has to be capable of doing it. If the phone isnt a rev a phone just because its on sprints network doesn't mean its running rev a, so that statement the phone has to be capable also is a given. We're in the touch pro room and the gsm model is capable of doing it because their network supports it, why build one for sprint when the network isn't capable of doing it. I do know that the 3g network has way more CAPABILITY to be faster then evdo rev a, which is why we are coming out with wimax, but any phone on at&t's 3g network such as the touch pro, if you compare that phone to one that is on sprints network, the download speeds and browsing won't even compare. Also if you compare any of at&t's mobile broadband cards to any of sprints, at&t will get smoked.

Last edited by p-slim; 12-16-2008 at 11:40 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro