View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 PM
p-slim
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Internet while on a call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
Again, not exactly.

EVDO Rev A IS 3g by loose 3g definitions. ATT's UMTS, when coupled with HSDPA and HSUPA (and faster HSDPA/HSUPA phones), under good coverage conditions, can be faster than EVDO Rev A in general. I won't get into the numbers or technical details, but my ATT HSDPA 7.2 phone runs circles around my Rev A. Sprint phone under similar coverage conditions time and again. If you're talking about EDGE or GPRS--yes they are slow--but they are not "3G".

And no, it's not just the network. The phone has to support the protocol (UMTS/HSDPA) and upload/download speeds (3.6/7.2). A GSM or TDMA phone CANNOT do simultaneous voice/data even though it is on ATT's network. So no, it's not just "all about the network".

Reprising my earlier posts, I believe we have the responsiblity to at least attempt to provide information that is as accurate as possible.
This is a round about, of course the phone has to be capable of doing it. If the phone isnt a rev a phone just because its on sprints network doesn't mean its running rev a, so that statement the phone has to be capable also is a given. We're in the touch pro room and the gsm model is capable of doing it because their network supports it, why build one for sprint when the network isn't capable of doing it. I do know that the 3g network has way more CAPABILITY to be faster then evdo rev a, which is why we are coming out with wimax, but any phone on at&t's 3g network such as the touch pro, if you compare that phone to one that is on sprints network, the download speeds and browsing won't even compare. Also if you compare any of at&t's mobile broadband cards to any of sprints, at&t will get smoked.

Last edited by p-slim; 12-16-2008 at 11:40 PM.