PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Internet while on a call? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49288)

dsmason807 12-16-2008 08:42 AM

Internet while on a call?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I couldn't easily find an answer via search.

I just got a Touch Pro on Sprint, and it seems I cannot get data while I am on a call. I've never had a CDMA/EVDO phone before -- on AT&T I could surf w/ 3G (though not w/ EDGE) while on the phone.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm just curious to know if there is a workaround, of if that's just how it is on Sprint...

Thanks!

blazinazn 12-16-2008 08:59 AM

Re: Internet while on a call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmason807 (Post 581279)
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I couldn't easily find an answer via search.

I just got a Touch Pro on Sprint, and it seems I cannot get data while I am on a call. I've never had a CDMA/EVDO phone before -- on AT&T I could surf w/ 3G (though not w/ EDGE) while on the phone.

This isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm just curious to know if there is a workaround, of if that's just how it is on Sprint...

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a workaround, it's a limitation of the EVDO network. You can't have a simultaneous voice and data session.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

LoungeLizard 12-16-2008 09:36 AM

As far as I know, this is correct. When I am using internet sharing, it disconnects during a voice call and reconnects after the call is finished.

Bad HAL 9000 12-16-2008 09:37 AM

You are correct. No data+voice at the same time. Recieving a call while data surfing will suspend your data connection if you are on EVDO, but if on 1x your calls do not get interupted so they will just get voicemail.

mdfalien 12-16-2008 09:45 AM

Anybody know if there is a fix in the works from Sprint, or are we just stuck with this problem.

chrisaroz 12-16-2008 10:08 AM

I thought the whole point of EVDO Rev A was to provide this very feature...

Success100 12-16-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisaroz (Post 581337)
I thought the whole point of EVDO Rev A was to provide this very feature...

Actually, youre right. the Sprints network is capable of voice+data simultaneously. I wouldnt say its a "limitation", but its up to the carrier to enable the ability, and for various reasons that im pretty sure are much too technical for me, Sprint/Alltel/VZ decided not to implement that feature.

For any of the doubters or naysayers, research the EVDO technology and you will find it is capable of this feature

jimd144 12-16-2008 10:23 AM

You would need something like the iphone for that.

MadlyAlive 12-16-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Success100 (Post 581345)
Actually, youre right. the Sprints network is capable of voice+data simultaneously. I wouldnt say its a "limitation", but its up to the carrier to enable the ability, and for various reasons that im pretty sure are much too technical for me, Sprint/Alltel/VZ decided not to implement that feature.

For any of the doubters or naysayers, research the EVDO technology and you will find it is capable of this feature

+1. I had asked Sprint before why they didn't implement this feature of Rev. A and they didn't give me an answer.

mac901 12-16-2008 11:05 AM

if you are using your wifi you can continue to talk and surf the net as well.