PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Nagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good workNagual is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: battery life increaser ***Huge***

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
How often should I let the battery run all the way down? I've had my TP for about 2 weeks now, and I've wondered if I should let it run down...and "refresh" the battery memory?
I've seen a lot of debate about this, but the most even-handed sounding things I've read on the subject state that in practical everyday use LiOn batteries really get nothing extra good from being totally discharged. They have basically no "memory effect" and unless they're treated very poorly somehow, perform steadily for people under most conditions and can't be "tricked" into doing anything miraculous.

I personally think that the people saying it's the TP's meter that gets less sensitive and more realistic, and not altogether the battery itself after the "break-in" period, are closer to the truth.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It does make sense, since most folks have reported on inaccurate battery meters. I, too, have witnessed my batt meter (with %) go from 99% to 91% steadily over a period of 10 seconds.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

Palladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPalladium is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedin View Post
so i normally charge my phone with the wall outlet and my phone would die by the end of the day (from like 9-9 it would die) from about 7-6ish it would die, well last night i was too lazy to plug it into the wall and just plugged it into my computer. well, i got up this morning, it was all charged went to school at 7 and had a 100% charge till about 10, then had a 90 percent till about 3 then 80% from 3 till 7. I have texted, played games, had apps open, and it is still running strong! maybe a trick?

let me know if this works for others.
There may be some truth to this, I have noticed (and actually posted in another thread) that if the phone is allowed to go to sleep while charging, when the battery reaches 100% and quits charging, the battery will begin to discharge, and when removed from the charger the battery level (accurate or not) drops to 80-90%. If you plug the charger back in and let it charge to full and take it off, it stays at 98-100% (yes, I'm using the nuepower batery driver) and lasts much longer that if you did not "top off" the battery. If you leave the phone hooked to the USB port to charge, Activesync will keep the phone from sleeping and it will continue to charge/top off the battery.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle

guys.. seriously, regardless I don't think these changes will result in that big of a difference in our battery life, I'm pretty sure that we all are intelligent enough to think of several clever ways to charge our phones but regardless of the method its still going to result in pretty much the same thing. when its all said and done, it just depends on the usage we put into our Tp's

samsung 640A --> motorola Q --> sprint touch --> now doin it big with the touch pro... oh so sexy lol

Last edited by blue4shizzle; 12-04-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint 4G EVO
Carrier: Sprint only connects calls ppcgeeks for all else

micro254 is keeping up the good workmicro254 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to micro254

totally agree with you bro.. i have tried all these methods and they are alll the same it all depends on usage of the phone and what programs are running in the background

Coz Boogie Militia
Special Ops--PPC Division

Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: vzw
Threadstarter

creedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good workcreedin is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to creedin Send a message via MSN to creedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
How often should I let the battery run all the way down? I've had my TP for about 2 weeks now, and I've wondered if I should let it run down...and "refresh" the battery memory?
you are supposed to drain the battery completely after a full charge, for the first couple of charges, so the battery knows an empty to a full
Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
you are supposed to drain the battery completely after a full charge, for the first couple of charges, so the battery knows an empty to a full
Halfway accurate. It knows empty to full either way. It just helps kill off any of the "gunk" from the manufacturing process and ensures full life.

After that you should try to never let it die. Deep cycling regularly is bad for LiIons.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

xtkxhom3r is a n00b

i can also confirm this it does last longer charging it from the usb
Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro baby!!
Carrier: Sprint (employee plan = 20 dollars) 3000 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else :-P

blue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuffblue4shizzle knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blue4shizzle Send a message via Yahoo to blue4shizzle

Quote:
you dont have to do that with a lithion battery.. technology has swapped about 2 years ago sir.. but you can do it if it will make you feel better, but im telling you its pointless
Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Timeless

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
you dont have to do that with a lithion battery.. technology has swapped about 2 years ago sir.. but you can do it if it will make you feel better, but im telling you its pointless
I can't agree it's pointless when the manufacturers of the devices all recommend doing it. Emptying it fully every month or so, like used to be recommended, is definitely completely pointless. But when companies like HTC, the manufacturers of the third-party batteries, and manufacturers of other devices all say you won't reach your full battery life until you've drained it and fully charged it a couple of times, I kind of have to believe them. They have slightly more knowledge than I do.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro