PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   battery life increaser ***Huge*** (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=47625)

creedin 12-03-2008 08:02 PM

battery life increaser ***Huge***

so i normally charge my phone with the wall outlet and my phone would die by the end of the day (from like 9-9 it would die) from about 7-6ish it would die, well last night i was too lazy to plug it into the wall and just plugged it into my computer. well, i got up this morning, it was all charged went to school at 7 and had a 100% charge till about 10, then had a 90 percent till about 3 then 80% from 3 till 7. I have texted, played games, had apps open, and it is still running strong! maybe a trick?

let me know if this works for others.

Josedogg54 12-03-2008 08:12 PM

Re: battery life increaser ***Huge***

I always thought it was opposite with the PC charging not lasting as long as a wall charge.

TurboFool 12-03-2008 08:15 PM

Give it more than one day of that treatment before you judge that as the cause. These phones have a habit of inconsistent battery life. With a normal charge my phone can last 'til noon and lose only 30%, or have only 30% left by noon, all with similar usage. You definitely need a test period larger than one day to even suspect this.

aznmode 12-03-2008 08:41 PM

Also try resetting your phone about half a day later and see if the percentage drops dramatically. It could be giving you the wrong reading.

SprintTouch08 12-03-2008 08:44 PM

yeh this makes no sense, and there are far too many variables- mainly the inaccurate battery meter. This is like saying filling up on 92 octane gas in your v6 give you more mpg then 89, its both gas in the end no matter how the tank gets filled its full. The battery is full no matter how you charge it, its not going to lead to longer life by the manner in which you do it.

gator352 12-03-2008 09:12 PM

A slower (trickle) charge is better than a fast charge. Like if you use 2800mAh AA batteries and charge them in a normal charger (typically 5-6 hours), You will get a substantial life increase over charging them in a fast charger (1 hour or less). I have 3 DSLR's that prove this to be pretty accurate. You can't compare electronic batts to a gas tank. Yeah, full is full, but it's how WELL the cells retain the charge. Trickle charging is a low charge rate that keeps the battery from self discharging, thus maintaining a full capacity charge, cells lose power naturally at a rate of about 1% to 5% a day. So PC charging is more of a trickle charge than using the wall charger so it MIGHT possibly (depending on your average use) give you better battery performance.

TurboFool 12-03-2008 09:18 PM

I was under the impression that slow vs. fast charging affects the long-term performance of the battery, not how fast it discharges its current charge.

hempy 12-03-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gator352 (Post 558069)
A slower (trickle) charge is better than a fast charge. Like if you use 2800mAh AA batteries and charge them in a normal charger (typically 5-6 hours), You will get a substantial life increase over charging them in a fast charger (1 hour or less). I have 3 DSLR's that prove this to be pretty accurate. You can't compare electronic batts to a gas tank. Yeah, full is full, but it's how WELL the cells retain the charge. Trickle charging is a low charge rate that keeps the battery from self discharging, thus maintaining a full capacity charge, cells lose power naturally at a rate of about 1% to 5% a day. So PC charging is more of a trickle charge than using the wall charger so it MIGHT possibly (depending on your average use) give you better battery performance.

Is this documented to work for dry and li-ion batteries? I know this is definitely true for car/wet batteries. I may have to start doing this.

Nagual 12-03-2008 10:00 PM

My battery life after its break-in period (for either the battery itself, or the meter in the phone, depending on your opinion) has improved since I started using the faster WALL charger more often, instead of the PC.

It's very subjective and I think unscientific to assume that one improves the condition of the battery depending on what you use to charge it, if all you go by is a few days of observed behavior. You usage patterns change along with so many other things, it's very tough to tell.

The only thing I know for sure is that the wall plug charges faster, and that's important to me.

amw1972 12-03-2008 10:12 PM

How often should I let the battery run all the way down? I've had my TP for about 2 weeks now, and I've wondered if I should let it run down...and "refresh" the battery memory?