PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to land2634
Re: About to give up on the HTC Touch Pro. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
Believe me, that's a big part of my frustration. When I bought the Centro I'd previously had a Palm PDA and a Samsung A920. The phone was reliable and the PDA worked, of course. But as I accumulated devices I wanted to cut down on the devices I had on me. I would rather not, though, spend cycles on this that could be spent hanging out with my wife, playing games, reading books, whatever. I just kind of want a phone that works. I want a comfortable phone with a good keyboard, an accessible calendar, light data and that just works.

Just works is most important. This shouldn't be that hard.
Yeah and as far as data working, it is hit or miss unfortunately. I know several people who have been 2 weeks without data, but Sprint refuses to exchange for them due to some mystery "data outage" that only affects certain customers (and not to mention said customers happen to have Touch Pro's). The issue should be resolved "within 72 hours" but here they are 2 weeks later wondering what the hell is going on. I'm starting to find it amusing that Sprint seemingly hires "technicians" off the street (similar to Best Buy's Geek Squad). Doesn't mean all the techs are bad, but it sure does look bad when your own technicians have no idea how to fix little issues such as this.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Threadstarter

DSGamer is just getting started

They wouldn't even let their "techs" look at my phone. I've been a customer for 8 years and they just shrugged and said that was how the phone was. So weird. No attempt at another phone or anything. Is the failure rate of the phone that well known within Sprint or was it just bad customer service.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

land2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuffland2634 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to land2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGamer View Post
They wouldn't even let their "techs" look at my phone. I've been a customer for 8 years and they just shrugged and said that was how the phone was. So weird. No attempt at another phone or anything. Is the failure rate of the phone that well known within Sprint or was it just bad customer service.
They wouldn't look at it when your data didn't work? Oh hell, I'd probably lose it... That is pure incompetence and ignorance. No wonder their stock price is dropping like crazy.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah. They wouldn't even send it back to the "techs". And like I said, data was working on the Centro a minute later. It was a touch insane, honestly. I don't expect them to hand me a new phone every time I walk in the door, but my wife and I have been loyal customers for close to a decade. If I say my phone doesn't get data service (that I'm paying for) and that I'm spending valuable personal time on this, someone should look at it, I think.

That's why I just went over to T-Mobile. I was sick of things like that. The voice dialing and wanting to be on the same plan as my wife (I hate us having separate plans, bills, no shared minutes, etc.) is causing me to reconsider. I guess it's just a question of what they'll do to make it right.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Well i have been using the hell out of my pro for the last two weeks and its been running great right out of the box. I only use custom roms because i can be a flashaholic at times. In any case we all have different expectations and what may be tolerable for me maybe totally different for someone else.

Last edited by themuffinman; 11-19-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, I called my other local store (the one near my work). They were sympathetic and gave me the direct number for retention. I called retention and they said the best they could do is $400 for a new HTC Touch Pro with a $100 mail in rebate. So basically pricing as if I was running a new line of service. The cost to cancel + the cost of the G1 from T-Mobile is less than that. So I guess I know where I stand.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

mobo is just getting started

The learning curve on these phones is substantial. I have had one since june of 2007 when I picked up a Mogul, I went to the Touch in August of 2008 and to the TP the weekend It came out.

Perhaps you are right that that these phones should work out of the box and they mostly do work OK, we just like to play with them and this does cause some confusion. The I phone only works with the certified apps and all of them must be bought. Our TP is so configurable it really is beyond belief.

Mine sync's over the air with corporate email and updates my calendar connected all the time, It check my three pop 3 email accounts evey hour. I use the GPS in google map, live search and telenav at times each week. I surf the net for work and for fun and I create word and excel documents when I'm waiting for a plane. I have even watched a movie on the plane. It takes really decent pictures organizes them on my laptop and transfers them their wirelessly. I even tether using bluetooth when wifi is not around on my laptop. The I phone will not do these things as well as my touch pro.

It takes trime to figure all these things out. I hope you choose the TP but if not take your time with the device and it will reward you well. Best of luck!!

Oh and it does these things for 40 bucks a month. Sero 500 and 10 bucks for telenav.

MOBO
Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That's a good gif, themuffinman. I feel like that's what Sprint is doing to me.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Lurker

redlinejohn is a n00b

This phone has its problems. Most of them can be fixed with tweaks. If you think this phone is bad try using the Samsung Instinct for awhile. Which I replaced with the pro (much better phone). I think people are looking to get the perfect phone. Keep in mind that every phone has it problems. with the help of this site and many others we can get closer to that perfect phone. How many of us have bought a new car or whatever and it has its share of problems. There is no perfect anything out there including humans. haha

Last edited by redlinejohn; 11-19-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinejohn View Post
There is no perfect anything out there including humans. haha
Jessica Alba's pretty perfect...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro