PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PRE & Touch PRO2, but now Evo
Carrier: Sprint

dutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardutchman71 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: A little tough Love about battery issues.

My car charger is an original HTC branded one..
Old 11-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

mrrogers1 is keeping up the good workmrrogers1 is keeping up the good work
Thumbs up Re: A little tough Love about battery issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
I mostly agree with the OP. I was actually a little surprised at the battery life on this phone after a few days of use (it got better).

I do still think there are major problems. The heat/not charging is a real problem. The battery discharges quickly when the heat issues start. My first TP got soooo hot after a phone call. The new replacement I got two days ago seems better. None of my other ppc devices have done this.

As baffles said, it should be able to run off the charger.

I agree with the OP and I think the life is comparable if not better than my Mogul AND the TP FLYS compared to the Mogul so no complaints here. When buying (sounds like) any HTC device you need to buy at least 1 backup battery and keep a charger handy or at minimum a mini usb plug to stay safe. Oh, and if I have to choose between 3 OE size batteries and a HUGE aftermarket like the one I had for my 6700, I'd stick with my 3. The TP is very pocket friendly (even more so than the 6800 was) and I really like that in such a power little device. It's amazing really...

It's just a fact of HTC life.

Now on the heat, I'm just going to keep monitoring this on my device. I have one of the very early build dated phones and I have had it get quite HOT once so far. I didn't really think twice about it then but now I am paying close attention as I am aware that there could be an issue.

Only time will tell if it's a real defect but one thing is for sure, I love my TP. The Mogul was a good device, the TP is a great device with a professional look and ballz to back it up now. HTC has risen the bar with the TP so I really hope the engineers have something left because I'm hooked on HTC/WINMO for life.

Last edited by mrrogers1; 11-16-2008 at 01:37 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

webazoid is a n00b

which extra battery do u use/recommend?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

I would have to agree with you D5. As much as I don't like the battery life the more I use my Pro, we have to consider what we're coming from...

It would help if we reevaluated our expectations.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:54 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro
Threadstarter

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman71 View Post
My car charger is an original HTC branded one..

The OEM charger reads as Output: 5V what is the output on your car charger?
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700 (Verizon HTC Apache)
Carrier: Only PPCGEEKS.com; I don't even pay monthly anymore.

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser

Although I agree 100% with the OP, I highly disagree with this above post. It is simple math:
When you have more draw (power consumption) then you have coming in, then not only will the battery not charge, but it will have to expend a small amount of power, to offset the remaining required Power Usage.

You have to remember, this device is running a 528mhz processor, and is the size of one Brick, no pun intended. It has more ram than Windows 95 or 98 typically shipped with, and has a touch-screen device. I just don't think that we can expect it to do anything more, than what it already does. GPS devices only last what, 3-5 hours on a single charge? The 6700 came with 1350ma battery, and didn't have GPS activated, or using battery juice. So,now we have an even smaller battery, smaller form factor, faster processor, three times the amount of RAM, almost 4; on top of all this, we have a GPS activated to increase even more load on the battery. We still should, and on properly working devices we do, get 4-5 hours of radio usage. Now, when you put it all into context, the device radio that is the Phone, on, data connection, and GPS, all cut that time down in half. This is normal, and why there are many ways to get more battery life. Turn off auto-connecting data sessions, and limit GPS usage, to only when you are looking at the directions, or if you need to have it on for the entire time.
If you are going on a long trip, don't turn it on and off every few minutes, as this will actually increase usage, and take longer. Instead, if you will be on the same road for at least 45 minutes, then just turn off the GPS (Don't just power off your device, as GPS probably still is in a lower power mode, still using some battery power.) and then turn off the device. Also, if you are not using your bluetooth, turn it off. It uses power even if you turn off your screen/via the power button.
Another tip is to keep your device cool during the GPS usage, or talk time. This might help the device charge and not overheat.

In general, we are actually getting excellent battery life, if you came from any previous models, like the 6700. Take it or leave it, but at least watch your Charger Specs to verify that it can appropriately maintain the higher power charge. Also, buy a larger battery, and keep it charged and only use it for when you need the GPS or Phone to talk.
by clicking below:

Thanks,
Andrew,
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

I understand what you guys are saying. I do believe that the TP's battery life isn't bad for what the phone does. I haven't run into the draining issue because I don't use that many things at once.

BUT, how hard would it have been for them to have the device run off of the Charger instead of the battery? 1a is the biggest I've seen but maybe it should have been bigger. When the device overheats, simply stop charging and run off the charger so no drain occurs.

We can all agree that this is a great device but we still can't ignore something with such a simple fix. Again I am speaking for those who get this problem.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Diamond

hempy is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
The OEM charger reads as Output: 5V what is the output on your car charger?
The difference between the chargers is the current, not the voltage. All usb connections run at 5 volts. The oem wall charger runs at a full 1A, which is relatively high, especially when compared to a car charger.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

skyking1066 is a n00b

What I am seeing with my TP is "something" turning it into a high current drain mode state. I assume this because it just starts to heat up and the battery indicator will drop 5 or more bars in a short time span. I'm not running bluetooth or wifi. I'm in a good signal area with 4 bars and EVDO. I only made a few phone calls today and sent an email or two. I do have push email via an exhchange server. But I find it odd how hot this device gets when it is supposed to be doing very little. I've been able to keep it on a charger, but today it was not on and it went into hot mode. This battery that was completely charged overnight looks like it will only last a few more hours, but the device is now cool.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Nice thread, im on my way to buying that 1500 battery though lol

It just takes some getting used too. More than the mogul, i touch this phone constantly, i cant keep it off! Once i treat it like the mogul, make a few calls, send a few text, check the web here and there, i get pretty good battery life. One day last me to 60% left.

Yeah, our new toy is the shyt! BUT, we have to realize that battery technology is way slower than any other. Use this ppc like you would use a normal ppc and you'll be fine.

Now, as mentioned, there are some defects such as not charging on the charger, by all means, return those phones! Otherwise, live with it, buy another battery or an extended one, you'll be alright.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro