View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 PM
PocketPcUser
Regular 'Geeker

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser
Re: A little tough Love about battery issues.

Although I agree 100% with the OP, I highly disagree with this above post. It is simple math:
When you have more draw (power consumption) then you have coming in, then not only will the battery not charge, but it will have to expend a small amount of power, to offset the remaining required Power Usage.

You have to remember, this device is running a 528mhz processor, and is the size of one Brick, no pun intended. It has more ram than Windows 95 or 98 typically shipped with, and has a touch-screen device. I just don't think that we can expect it to do anything more, than what it already does. GPS devices only last what, 3-5 hours on a single charge? The 6700 came with 1350ma battery, and didn't have GPS activated, or using battery juice. So,now we have an even smaller battery, smaller form factor, faster processor, three times the amount of RAM, almost 4; on top of all this, we have a GPS activated to increase even more load on the battery. We still should, and on properly working devices we do, get 4-5 hours of radio usage. Now, when you put it all into context, the device radio that is the Phone, on, data connection, and GPS, all cut that time down in half. This is normal, and why there are many ways to get more battery life. Turn off auto-connecting data sessions, and limit GPS usage, to only when you are looking at the directions, or if you need to have it on for the entire time.
If you are going on a long trip, don't turn it on and off every few minutes, as this will actually increase usage, and take longer. Instead, if you will be on the same road for at least 45 minutes, then just turn off the GPS (Don't just power off your device, as GPS probably still is in a lower power mode, still using some battery power.) and then turn off the device. Also, if you are not using your bluetooth, turn it off. It uses power even if you turn off your screen/via the power button.
Another tip is to keep your device cool during the GPS usage, or talk time. This might help the device charge and not overheat.

In general, we are actually getting excellent battery life, if you came from any previous models, like the 6700. Take it or leave it, but at least watch your Charger Specs to verify that it can appropriately maintain the higher power charge. Also, buy a larger battery, and keep it charged and only use it for when you need the GPS or Phone to talk.
by clicking below:

Thanks,
Andrew,
This post has been thanked 1 times.