PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot
Re: Will it run android?

Ok lets just say someone has been living under a rock or cave for awhile. What's so kick a.. About the android OS? Like what does it do? For all who don't know what it is or does
Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Stain View Post
Ok lets just say someone has been living under a rock or cave for awhile. What's so kick a.. About the android OS? Like what does it do? For all who don't know what it is or does
Two words. Open. Source.

Look it up. For developers, it offers almost limitless possibilities. With winmo, you can make programs that mod the OS, with the iPhone, youre limited to making phones to exist in an sandbox inside the OS, with android, YOU CAN MOD THE OS DIRECTLY! All the resources will be available.

Now, if im wrong, some one correct me, as im fairly new to programming , but android is supposed to be really developer friendly and from that stand point, it will offer some great applications.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Hercules Valvalotus

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot
Thumbs up Re: Will it run android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobmonster View Post
Two words. Open. Source.

Look it up. For developers, it offers almost limitless possibilities. With winmo, you can make programs that mod the OS, with the iPhone, youre limited to making phones to exist in an sandbox inside the OS, with android, YOU CAN MOD THE OS DIRECTLY! All the resources will be available.

Now, if im wrong, some one correct me, as im fairly new to programming , but android is supposed to be really developer friendly and from that stand point, it will offer some great applications.
Thanks for explaining that. Can anyone give a more detail example of what andriod is/do I pretty much get the picture tho
Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that. Can anyone give a more detail example of what andriod is/do I pretty much get the picture tho

Each phone runs an operating system, just like your computer on your desk (or in your lap) runs an operating system.

Many phones run some custom operating system with no name....just the software the manufacturer made up. Many phones run Windows Mobile. Other phones run the iPhone operating system (iphones of course). Many phone run an operating system called Symbian.

Android is another option of operating system. What makes it an interesting choice is that it won't be locked down by Apple. It won't be locked down by Microsoft. Up until now, Windows Mobile was one of the most flexible operating systems in terms of allowing programmers to create what ever program they wanted for it.... but there were limitations to this.

Android on the other hand is based off of a Linux operating system and is even more open for changes, addons, etc. Android in and of itself isn't anything special, but what it will allow in the future is a huge step in customization of phone software.

Example: You and your friend both have the same phone, both run a future version of Android, but your phones are very differently because you both have customized your phones in different ways.

Developers/Programmers will have direct access to the hardware which in turn should allow for better performance applications.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Hercules Valvalotus

Talking Re: Will it run android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
Each phone runs an operating system, just like your computer on your desk (or in your lap) runs an operating system.

Many phones run some custom operating system with no name....just the software the manufacturer made up. Many phones run Windows Mobile. Other phones run the iPhone operating system (iphones of course). Many phone run an operating system called Symbian.

Android is another option of operating system. What makes it an interesting choice is that it won't be locked down by Apple. It won't be locked down by Microsoft. Up until now, Windows Mobile was one of the most flexible operating systems in terms of allowing programmers to create what ever program they wanted for it.... but there were limitations to this.

Android on the other hand is based off of a Linux operating system and is even more open for changes, addons, etc. Android in and of itself isn't anything special, but what it will allow in the future is a huge step in customization of phone software.

Example: You and your friend both have the same phone, both run a future version of Android, but your phones are very differently because you both have customized your phones in different ways.

Developers/Programmers will have direct access to the hardware which in turn should allow for better performance applications.
Ok cool. So pretty much a OS that can be custom to DEATH and beyond lol.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Lurker

vkewalra is a n00b

Currently Android runs on the Touch and poorly on the Mogul/Titan. This is mostly an issue with drivers and the current developer build rather than any incompatibility. It should be possible to convert to Android or even possible dual boot an HTC Touch Diamond/Pro with both Android and WinMo.

If you're interested in those options I recommend going with the Touch Pro because the current solution for running Android on a Titan involves the SD card.

What I'm not sure of (and somewhat doubt) is HTC making an official solution. I imagine you'll have to depend on the xda/ppcgeeks community to find a solution. Considering how widespread these models are there should be no shortage of solutions.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Hercules Valvalotus

O imma get the touch pro. The mogul is about to be the thing of the past. But it is possible to run winmo and android on the touch pro how is this possible?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
O imma get the touch pro. The mogul is about to be the thing of the past. But it is possible to run winmo and android on the touch pro how is this possible?
Two ways. You can set up for a dual boot, which id assume thered be some simple option as to what os you want to launch after you turn your phone on, or you can use an unloader.

Ive seen an application for android that literally starts on the winmo os, unloads its memory and kernel, and then loads up all the libraries for linux and android. This way, you can just jump into android without having to risk putting it in you rom, but i havent seen a way to get back to winmo without a soft reset.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Hercules Valvalotus

So when you dual boot it. The Option of which OS you wanna run is there huh? Sounds cool to me
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

Quote:
So when you dual boot it. The Option of which OS you wanna run is there huh? Sounds cool to me
no its not an option. on my vogue/touch, you install the android cab/exe on your phone, then go into programs as you would with any other application. then you click run and it boots up linux and you are now running android. windows mobile isnt running in the background anymore, you are now running android. you can the make phone calls and browse the internet like you would otherwise. only thing that doesnt work is sms. i also cant figure out how to get to the applications.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro