PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Will it run android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
no its not an option. on my vogue/touch, you install the android cab/exe on your phone, then go into programs as you would with any other application. then you click run and it boots up linux and you are now running android. windows mobile isnt running in the background anymore, you are now running android. you can the make phone calls and browse the internet like you would otherwise. only thing that doesnt work is sms. i also cant figure out how to get to the applications.
Guess i gave bad advice earlier :\ ..... Sorry, no dual booting, atleast not yet. I dont think it would be too difficult to do so based on the fact that winmo phones do support a none OS based menu such as when you hard reset.

Well, imneveral0ne's method was the method im familiar with, but it sucks on the mogul (last i tried (android that is))
Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot
Cool Re: Will it run android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
no its not an option. on my vogue/touch, you install the android cab/exe on your phone, then go into programs as you would with any other application. then you click run and it boots up linux and you are now running android. windows mobile isnt running in the background anymore, you are now running android. you can the make phone calls and browse the internet like you would otherwise. only thing that doesnt work is sms. i also cant figure out how to get to the applications.
O ok that makes sense. But how do you run winmo again? Do a soft reset set? And to gob monster yea I heard android sucks for the mogul but I'm thinking about android on the touch pro. I'm not doing anymore modding to my mogul just waiting on the touch pro to drop! And can someone(you don't mind) list the pros and cons of running android OS
Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

yes you have to soft resent when you wanna leave android
Old 08-29-2008, 01:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

frejos is keeping up the good workfrejos is keeping up the good work

I'm excited about Android from a developer point of view, while I think it is true that you'll be able to modify the OS directly because it is Open Source, chances are you won't ever really need to.

This is because this is the first phone OS that is designed top to bottom from scratch with the main goal of allowing software developers to create modules that replace any part of the standard functionality.

Modularity and plugability are great concepts from a developer perspective. It means that if I write a program, I don't have to write a way to allow the user to say select a contact, I just use the phone's built in API to display the choose contact application.

These concepts are extended to the user as well. The user will be able to install programs to replace functionality, say a choose contact application replacing the built in contact chooser. Then when the user uses my program and needs to choose a contact, it'll use the custom contact chooser that the user installed, but my program doesn't care.

This opens the door for developers to write smaller, more focused applications and not concentrate on doing the same tasks over and over.

Android is also a pure Java implementation, which means that writing applications will be more straight forward and have less potential for memory leaks and other issues with writing code in C++, or worse some proprietary programming language.

Android also has an extensive memory management system and other awesome features.

http://code.google.com/android/what-is-android.html

Chronobis - OWA Synchronization v0.7.0.13
Connects Directly to OWA
Download Appointments, Contacts, and Tasks
Visit http://www.chronobis.com for more details...

Last edited by frejos; 08-29-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nbaj2k is a n00b

this makes me even more excited to get the Touch Pro when it is released, with the potential to be able to have the Open Source Google Android loaded instead of the Windows Mobile OS.

I'm just hoping this actually is possible to do once an Android OS is officially released (unsure when) and someone is able to load it on the Touch Pro.

~J
Old 11-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6700

xjones11 is a n00b
android on touch pro

wouldnt it be nice to shut up all your friends with the g1 by having this run on your pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm5OVv4lljQ
Old 11-02-2008, 04:18 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: android on touch pro

It would if I knew anyone with a G1
Old 11-02-2008, 04:31 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW View Post
It would if I knew anyone with a G1
+1 that g1 is ugly as sin. it looks fake in the adds.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro

cjmedina is keeping up the good workcjmedina is keeping up the good work

i had a stable version on my touch wouldnt mind seeing it on the touch pro
Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

Phreddo is becoming a great contributor

is it me or is the G1 like, big, or huge?
or do the people holding it for photos have tiny hands?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro