PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

del4 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - ALPHA (buggy. as. hell.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco-polo View Post
Tested overnight, no time drift. Thank you again, Makkonen.
What is this time drift issue I'm seeing mentioned? The only time-related issue I have experienced is that when I boot back into Windows after having run Android, my clock in WM is ahead by 7 hrs, as if the GMT offset (I'm at -7 GMT) has been lost? Is there a fix or a setting in WM I need to change to eliminate this from happening?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Well if you want to use the 2/4 build with data working, you have to add an APN. Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names and add one named "Android". Put "Internet" for the APN, should be good to go.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

del4 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm20 View Post
Trying the new build now. I'll post with my findings here in a bit.

Alright: almost 6 Hours after this post:
-Data didn't work for me on the first boot. I have not rebooted back in to it to see if it comes back, a few posts later on did say that it does eventually work.
- Seems to be still as responsive as the previous build.
- Did not try to download from market to see if It crashes yet (as I previously stated I didn't have a data connection).
- Battery still says its charging all the time.

This is getting better as time goes by. Thank you to all the devs who has put time in to this project.

Oh and I've updated the complete archive with the 2 updates (XDA new build/new kernel) here
As a fellow RAPH800/Sprint Touch Pro user, I'm using the set of files you've put together (thanks again to all the devs and other contributors for their efforts!!!) and they work great and the newer version definitely seems more stable as I have not had a reset so far (albeit with limited testing). It did take about a half-dozen reboots to get the data to start working and I STILL can't download anything from the market. It just sits there saying "Starting download..." until I give up and cancel the download. Is there a different version of the market app that I could download and try to see if that fixes the problem? Anyone been able to get the market working over CDMA data? Gmail, webaccess, etc. all work fine, just the darn market won't download anything...

BTW, a noob question, I'm sure, but could someone clarify the meaning/purpose/role of each of the files in the current distribution? This may clear up for me (and hopefully others) which files could/should be replaced with each update...
Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 PM
TouchPro Android Guy
Pocket PC: Vogu100, Raph500, Diam500, Raph800, Evo
Threadstarter

makkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmakkonen is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by del4 View Post
What is this time drift issue I'm seeing mentioned? The only time-related issue I have experienced is that when I boot back into Windows after having run Android, my clock in WM is ahead by 7 hrs, as if the GMT offset (I'm at -7 GMT) has been lost? Is there a fix or a setting in WM I need to change to eliminate this from happening?
If you turn on automatic network time updates (somewhere in the phone settings), it should work around that.

Quote:
BTW, a noob question, I'm sure, but could someone clarify the meaning/purpose/role of each of the files in the current distribution? This may clear up for me (and hopefully others) which files could/should be replaced with each update...
I posted up an explanation of this on another site -- I'll repost it here. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it gives a bit of an overview:

Here's the breakdown. In unix systems, the file system is all organized around root. That is:
/

So... at boot, HaRET loads the kernel (zImage) and the initial ramdisk (initrd.gz), which has a lightweight filesystem on it, into memory. This allows the booting of linux to proceed, without having to interact with the block devices (sd card, in this case), which are not yet initialized. After the kernel and initrd have booted the hardware, then it's time for the actual / (root) filesystem to be mounted. (If you were to mount rootfs.img, you would see a number of initialization scripts, as well as standard linux directories (proc, bin, lib, dev, etc), some with files in them, some empty.) The init script in the rootfs, in turn, loads data.img (the userdata) as a rewriteable partition under /data, and system.sqsh (the Android code) as a read-only partition under /system. Then it calls the Android initialization routine, and that cool nexus one boot animation starts. The end.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

I've been downloading apps from the Market over CDMA data just fine with this new build... Do you have an APN setup? I would imagine that data wouldn't work at all if you didn't...

And you're using the newest 2/4 build? I know I had issues with the Market until this version. Works flawlessly (the Market that is) in this version.

Oh, and if Makk's answer wasn't enough... Generally you can just replace modules/zImage if that's all that is posted, but if there's a new build I prefer to wipe my SD card and start clean. You don't *have* to, but again I prefer to just start clean. There's a couple of files you can backup like calibration and the .img file - but I've also heard backing up the img file can cause problems.

Last edited by arrrghhh; 02-05-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint Sero

hamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhamagc is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
If you turn on automatic network time updates (somewhere in the phone settings), it should work around that.

I posted up an explanation of this on another site -- I'll repost it here. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it gives a bit of an overview:

Here's the breakdown. In unix systems, the file system is all organized around root. That is:
/

So... at boot, HaRET loads the kernel (zImage) and the initial ramdisk (initrd.gz), which has a lightweight filesystem on it, into memory. This allows the booting of linux to proceed, without having to interact with the block devices (sd card, in this case), which are not yet initialized. After the kernel and initrd have booted the hardware, then it's time for the actual / (root) filesystem to be mounted. (If you were to mount rootfs.img, you would see a number of initialization scripts, as well as standard linux directories (proc, bin, lib, dev, etc), some with files in them, some empty.) The init script in the rootfs, in turn, loads data.img (the userdata) as a rewriteable partition under /data, and system.sqsh (the Android code) as a read-only partition under /system. Then it calls the Android initialization routine, and that cool nexus one boot animation starts. The end.

very informative!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Telus HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Telus

bechard is just getting started

Hey folks, very excited to be playing with Android on my Raph800.

I'm hoping someone might have a few answers for me...

1) I was on a posted Jan 26 build, which mostly worked, but I tried upgrading to 4-2 and now I can't boot, and believe the startup.txt from the 4-2 package is the problem. Is there another startup.txt that I should be using (I grabbed the Raph800 version).

2) How do I get the apps that came with the Android package to install (Youtube, etc)?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

I'm not sure where the doc actually is, but there is a doc that instructs you to copy the .apk files to the root of the AndroidApps folder... you'll see what I mean.

As for your first question, I would format the SD card completely and use a _fresh_ copy of everything. Then grab the RAPH800 startup.txt from the STARTUPS folder.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: v

mo1991 is a n00b

This fixed the data problem for my sprint unlimited plan with the 2/4 build. Nice.

Well if you want to use the 2/4 build with data working, you have to add an APN. Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names and add one named "Android". Put "Internet" for the APN, should be good to go.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

aatreya is a n00b

I have the same problem. It seems to be related to the + at the beginning. Any number I dial that starts with a + fails immediately.

I can even replicate this behavior in WM if I turn off "plus code dialing" and then make a number that starts with +.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux