PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

del4 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro (RAPH800) - ALPHA (buggy. as. hell.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkonen View Post
If you turn on automatic network time updates (somewhere in the phone settings), it should work around that.
Ah, okay. I'll try that, thanks!

Quote:
I posted up an explanation of this on another site -- I'll repost it here. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it gives a bit of an overview:

Here's the breakdown. In unix systems, the file system is all organized around root. That is:
/

So... at boot, HaRET loads the kernel (zImage) and the initial ramdisk (initrd.gz), which has a lightweight filesystem on it, into memory. This allows the booting of linux to proceed, without having to interact with the block devices (sd card, in this case), which are not yet initialized. After the kernel and initrd have booted the hardware, then it's time for the actual / (root) filesystem to be mounted. (If you were to mount rootfs.img, you would see a number of initialization scripts, as well as standard linux directories (proc, bin, lib, dev, etc), some with files in them, some empty.) The init script in the rootfs, in turn, loads data.img (the userdata) as a rewriteable partition under /data, and system.sqsh (the Android code) as a read-only partition under /system. Then it calls the Android initialization routine, and that cool nexus one boot animation starts. The end.
Very informative summary; thanks much! Maybe this info could be included in the OP just for extra background?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 PM
N00b

del4 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
I've been downloading apps from the Market over CDMA data just fine with this new build... Do you have an APN setup? I would imagine that data wouldn't work at all if you didn't...

And you're using the newest 2/4 build? I know I had issues with the Market until this version. Works flawlessly (the Market that is) in this version.

Oh, and if Makk's answer wasn't enough... Generally you can just replace modules/zImage if that's all that is posted, but if there's a new build I prefer to wipe my SD card and start clean. You don't *have* to, but again I prefer to just start clean. There's a couple of files you can backup like calibration and the .img file - but I've also heard backing up the img file can cause problems.
Yes, I'm using the files posted by peterm20 here and I have an access point setup with Name = Android and APN = internet. All of my Gmail, contacts and calendar sync up just fine and I can browse the web, load the Market etc., but every download of an app fails, so I must be doing something wrong. Saw some other mentions of turning on/off WiFi to kickstart the Market, as well as launching Google Talk/Voice, etc., but none of that has made any difference. Really would like to get the market working as right now, the build is otherwise stable and I'm anxious to play around with it some more. Another other thoughts?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
N00b

del4 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
As for your first question, I would format the SD card completely and use a _fresh_ copy of everything. Then grab the RAPH800 startup.txt from the STARTUPS folder.
I had problems with it as well until I did that. Reformatted my SD card as FAT32 (even thought it already had been) and copied over all the files to the root and it then booted just fine.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc-6800
Carrier: Sprint

peterm20 is keeping up the good workpeterm20 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glougloumouth View Post
It is a nice system!
Once booted, I have no marketplace icon. Where can I download the MarketPlace application?
Thanks!
Yeah I'm trying to figure that one out. The only other way I think I can get market to work would instead of copying the missing library files in to my build copy the updated files in to the XDA Build and maybe market would work.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I'm not sure why my Market works... I didn't have to do anything special, it worked as soon as I got the data cxn up.

I'm using the XDAndroid 2/4 build, with Makkonen's zImage/modules... I don't think my startup.txt is anything special either, pretty sure that's the default one for the RAPH800 that comes with the XDAndroid package.

EDIT: attached said kernel/modules. Simply extract replace @ root of SD.

Last edited by arrrghhh; 02-06-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

chaopac is just getting started

anyone knows how to get the Sense UI into Android 2.0.1, i think it's kindda like a theme or a skin or sth??
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Proteus93 is a n00b

It had been quite a long while since I had followed this project here or on XDA, and it's come a very long way since! Mic issue aside, it seems to work out alright... though, like others, I do find that the phone gets pretty hot, but I suppose using streaming web programs (Pandora, Last.fm, etc...) or the like in WM 6.1 causes the same issues.

I had been having trouble with downloading things from the Marketplace, as well, and found a post made by someone earlier in this thread with an upload for 'system_core_readded.sqsh.' That did the trick, and everything that had been queued downloaded and works just fine. I'll have to look further to find it again and give proper credit where due.

I likely overlooked it in the process of installing and testing things, but I did notice that the YouTube app/widget does not work properly on my device. I can load it up, search, and start a video but I don't get any video display - just the audio. Not sure if there's a workaround for it, yet.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:34 AM
N00b

del4 is a n00b

Quote:
Here's the breakdown. In unix systems, the file system is all organized around root. That is:
/

So... at boot, HaRET loads the kernel (zImage) and the initial ramdisk (initrd.gz), which has a lightweight filesystem on it, into memory. This allows the booting of linux to proceed, without having to interact with the block devices (sd card, in this case), which are not yet initialized. After the kernel and initrd have booted the hardware, then it's time for the actual / (root) filesystem to be mounted. (If you were to mount rootfs.img, you would see a number of initialization scripts, as well as standard linux directories (proc, bin, lib, dev, etc), some with files in them, some empty.) The init script in the rootfs, in turn, loads data.img (the userdata) as a rewriteable partition under /data, and system.sqsh (the Android code) as a read-only partition under /system. Then it calls the Android initialization routine, and that cool nexus one boot animation starts. The end.

So, if we want to retain our information between android updates, e.g., mail settings, contacts, wallpaper selections, ..., we should keep from overwriting the data.img file or would this introduce problems, depending upon what's updated in the new kernel and/or modules?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: sprint

crazaytalent is keeping up the good workcrazaytalent is keeping up the good work

Hey... just wondering out of curiosity, if anyone has tried, or know how to get the call&droid script working in conjunction w/ the gen.y.dual boot setup? I think it would be awesome to get the two working together, so If i set it to automatically load into xdandroid I can have a working mic .... hmmm now that I think about it, i geuss I could try to put the Call&droid script into my startup folder of WM and see if that works, but then Im affraid Ill never be able to go back to wm (short of a hard reset) if it works, the way Id anticipate it to work...hmmm? any thoughts?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Lurker

aatreya is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogualg View Post
the same issue here. it seems data is disconnected before GV dials, and reconnected after GV fails. the dialer disconnects data before dialing because we are on a cdma phone?
I have the same problem. It seems to be related to the + at the beginning. Any number I dial that starts with a + fails immediately.

I can even replicate this behavior in WM if I turn off "plus code dialing" and then make a number that starts with +.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux