PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Linux/Android on CDMA Touch Pro -- Now working on Verizon! And with GPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylt1 View Post
how can you say that when it boots fine when there is nothing running in the background other than winmo itself? seems that somewhere between 60 and 65% mem usage and above can and does cause issues with android booting. and really, anything above 65% usages prevents android from booting period. so you just dismiss problems that people find because you dont believe in the way there finding them? thats real scientific. as far as my method, it most certainly is "consistent". if your using 65% of your mem in winmo according to task manager and android wont boot and its the same thing every time your using 65% thats consistent and repeatable. last i knew, something that was repeatable from start to finish with the same results was proof of concept with a scientific experiment. most developers and testers are running andriod off a fresh boot. they arent thinking about the "what ifs" like what if someone has been using there phone for the morning then wanted to switch over to android without doing a reboot or using something like task manager. again, i just ran the phone up to 65% usage and yet again, android would NOT boot. this may not be a problem for sprint users but for those of us that are VZN users it is indeed an issue we need to be aware of. so if a rom your using is not running less than 60% on boot then you can have issues with android not running. so wouldnt you say thats rom related?

so, any VZN users. you need to be running a pretty effecint rom if you want to run android too. if your running near the 60% mem usage mark then you need to either reboot or use something like task manager to kill any apps that are running in the background(IE they dont close all the way) before trying to boot android. another option is, if you want to run just android, to make a stripped down custom rom. 6.1 is a good option an you will need to drop the pagepool to get it as low as you can.
Mainly because you're the ONLY one to report it. I haven't had an issue, and I've booted Android from a WinMo phone that has been running for days, and fresh boots. Haven't had an issue. Perhaps it is just the craptacular VZW phones, but why would you intentionally run a bunch of programs before booting Android? I'll play with it myself, but that just sounds stupid. I don't leave programs running on WinMo for a reason, so I don't know why I would go out of my way to prevent Android from booting.

Again, with that said, I've never, EVER had an issue with Android booting because of "low memory" as you call it. Besides, those 60%, 65% numbers... what are they really? How do you know that piece of software is even reading it accurately? What are you using in Android to get the stats? My point is your procedure you say is repeatable, but there's no way to get stats from RAM if Android doesn't have full access of the device... How does this not make sense to you?

Alright, so here's what I had running.

Total Commander
Google Maps
Solitare
Streaming Media
HTC GPS Tool
TCPMP
Bubble Breaker
Teeter
Windows Mobile
Comm Manager
Word Mobile
Excel Mobile
PowerPoint Mobile
OneNote Mobile
Opera Mobile 10
Adobe Reader

ArkSwitch said I had ~50,000k free. I was able to get it down to 30,000k, but it kept bouncing back up. I think ArkSwitch was killing apps or something, not quite sure. Again, a reason why this isn't scientific whatsoever...

But Android booted just fine for me. So I encourage all the VZW users who have RAPH500's to do this test. I am calling schenanigans Mylt1!

Last edited by arrrghhh; 07-29-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Bell Touch Pro, Telus P5310 (NEON400)
Carrier: Bell, Telus

88fingerslukee is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
the charging has been talked about over at XDA. most have said even though it doesnt look like its charging, it actually is. the newly updated files fixed the headphone problem as well i believe. i didnt ready the whole update but i think it was mentioned as well as an increase in the earphone speaker vol.

here is the XDA thread in case you want to keep up with whats going on over there as well. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=711692

scratch that. i see your already over there. LOL.
Yeah, I'm on top of it. I hadn't seen anything on the battery charge issue though. thanks for the reply.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Mainly because you're the ONLY one to report it. I haven't had an issue, and I've booted Android from a WinMo phone that has been running for days, and fresh boots. Haven't had an issue. Perhaps it is just the craptacular VZW phones, but why would you intentionally run a bunch of programs before booting Android? I'll play with it myself, but that just sounds stupid. I don't leave programs running on WinMo for a reason, so I don't know why I would go out of my way to prevent Android from booting.

Again, with that said, I've never, EVER had an issue with Android booting because of "low memory" as you call it. Besides, those 60%, 65% numbers... what are they really? How do you know that piece of software is even reading it accurately? What are you using in Android to get the stats? My point is your procedure you say is repeatable, but there's no way to get stats from RAM if Android doesn't have full access of the device... How does this not make sense to you?

Alright, so here's what I had running.

Total Commander
Google Maps
Solitare
Streaming Media
HTC GPS Tool
TCPMP
Bubble Breaker
Teeter
Windows Mobile
Comm Manager
Word Mobile
Excel Mobile
PowerPoint Mobile
OneNote Mobile
Opera Mobile 10
Adobe Reader

ArkSwitch said I had ~50,000k free. I was able to get it down to 30,000k, but it kept bouncing back up. I think ArkSwitch was killing apps or something, not quite sure. Again, a reason why this isn't scientific whatsoever...

But Android booted just fine for me. So I encourage all the VZW users who have RAPH500's to do this test. I am calling schenanigans Mylt1!
so because you have never had a problem that means there is no way someone else could? yeah, thats real scientific right there. guess since i have never had a house fire that no one else has either. do you see how stupid your logic sounds?

i can see by your statements you have no real scientific background at all. you can just say "why would you intentionally run a bunch of programs before booting Android?". why? because maybe im using winmo during the day while im at work then want to run android once i get home. maybe i dont feel like, or remember to reboot so i can to it or forgot to use task manager to kill the apps that i was running earlier. what difference does it make? the point is there is an issue there. really, it doesnt even need to be apps in the background. some of the 6.5 roms i was running would start off from a reboot at 60% or so and thats with nothing running.

where are you getting android has anything to do with the mem in winmo? your harping on that like thats the issue when it isnt. WINMO MEM IS THE PROBLEM NOT ANDROID. is that clear enough for you to understand? as for what my % actually mean. well, lets see, 65% of 115megs free is 74.75megs give or take. that leaves only leaves about 40 megs to boot android. that according to winmo's system info app. not some 3rd party app. you can call whatever you like that still doesnt change the fact that at 65% mem usage(or as you want it, only 40 megs of mem available) android WILL NOT START. so, infact if you have a VZN Touch Pro, you can have issues booting/running android depending on the ROM your running.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
so because you have never had a problem that means there is no way someone else could? yeah, thats real scientific right there. guess since i have never had a house fire that no one else has either. do you see how stupid your logic sounds?

i can see by your statements you have no real scientific background at all. you can just say "why would you intentionally run a bunch of programs before booting Android?". why? because maybe im using winmo during the day while im at work then want to run android once i get home. maybe i dont feel like, or remember to reboot so i can to it or forgot to use task manager to kill the apps that i was running earlier. what difference does it make? the point is there is an issue there. really, it doesnt even need to be apps in the background. some of the 6.5 roms i was running would start off from a reboot at 60% or so and thats with nothing running.

where are you getting android has anything to do with the mem in winmo? your harping on that like thats the issue when it isnt. WINMO MEM IS THE PROBLEM NOT ANDROID. is that clear enough for you to understand? as for what my % actually mean. well, lets see, 65% of 115megs free is 74.75megs give or take. that leaves only leaves about 40 megs to boot android. that according to winmo's system info app. not some 3rd party app. you can call whatever you like that still doesnt change the fact that at 65% mem usage(or as you want it, only 40 megs of mem available) android WILL NOT START. so, infact if you have a VZN Touch Pro, you can have issues booting/running android depending on the ROM your running.
I'm done with you. I already said NO ONE else reported it. So it's not like "I'm the only one so there fore no one is experiencing it" I mean NOT A SINGLE PERSON reported it.

You're an idiot. I would never run 10,000 programs on my phone all at once, whether I was booting to Android or not. Even with all those programs running, Android booted just fine - so there's either a) something wrong in what you're doing (most likely case) or b) something wrong with your phone. I guess c) the VZW version of this phone is the problem.

I still stand by my assessment of the ROM having nothing to do with Android. Until you actually prove otherwise, I'm not buying it. Lots of people have thoroughly tested this concept, not just some jerk who thinks they know what they're talking about (you and me).

Either way, I'm done. You can rant all you want, but the facts remain the same.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
cxi
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

cxi is becoming a great contributor

Um, Mylt1, I boot into Android just find with 77% in use on a 6.5 ROM running Manilla on my Verizon Touch Pro. In fact I boot it just fine with 83% in use.

Not to stop your rant dead in its tracks or anything, but dude, chill out. Something is up with your device. Booting Android doesn't work that way.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I'm done with you. I already said NO ONE else reported it. So it's not like "I'm the only one so there fore no one is experiencing it" I mean NOT A SINGLE PERSON reported it.

You're an idiot. I would never run 10,000 programs on my phone all at once, whether I was booting to Android or not. Even with all those programs running, Android booted just fine - so there's either a) something wrong in what you're doing (most likely case) or b) something wrong with your phone. I guess c) the VZW version of this phone is the problem.

I still stand by my assessment of the ROM having nothing to do with Android. Until you actually prove otherwise, I'm not buying it. Lots of people have thoroughly tested this concept, not just some jerk who thinks they know what they're talking about (you and me).

Either way, I'm done. You can rant all you want, but the facts remain the same.
the only fact is you cant see past your own "know it all" attitude. i will be more than happy to prove you wrong in just a short few min. working on taking a video now and will also post it over on XDA so the other VZN users will know they will need to watch there roms if there thinking about running android.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

since my word isnt good enough to report a problem maybe video evidence it. sorry about the crappy video quality. its recorded from my old titan. i know you cant see the mem bar but that is sitting at 65% used. yu can see it well enough to know its between 1/2 and 3/4 though.

Last edited by Mylt1; 07-29-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
since my word isnt good enough to report a problem maybe video evidence it. sorry about the crappy video quality. its recorded from my old titan.
I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying you're doing something wrong, or something is wrong with your device. Most likely PEBCAK.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying you're doing something wrong, or something is wrong with your device. Most likely PEBCAK.
no, you were insinuating i was lying because no one else has reported a problem. there has to be a first time for everything or nothing would ever change. as you can see on the XDA thread there were multiple bugs, some had them some didnt. just because it hasnt been reported yet doesnt mean it isnt a problem. also, a lot of the users over on XDA are GSM users so its a different ball game between them and the US users that could have either GSM or CDMA. i have posted the video and you can clearly see android will not boot at 65%(74.75)used mem. i can repeat the problem over and over. that was actually the second video because the first was sideways. if it wasnt a problem i couldnt repeat it over and over like i can.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
no, you were insinuating i was lying because no one else has reported a problem. there has to be a first time for everything or nothing would ever change. as you can see on the XDA thread there were multiple bugs, some had them some didnt. just because it hasnt been reported yet doesnt mean it isnt a problem. also, a lot of the users over on XDA are GSM users so its a different ball game between them and the US users that could have either GSM or CDMA. i have posted the video and you can clearly see android will not boot at 65%(74.75)used mem. i can repeat the problem over and over. that was actually the second video because the first was sideways. if it wasnt a problem i couldnt repeat it over and over like i can.
Read cxi's post. I rest my case.

Makk, perhaps you could shed a little bit more sanity on this case... have you experienced anything like this on your 500?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
android, donut, eclair, linux