PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you having trouble staying in 3G? Is your VZW TP2 getting stuck in 1X mode?
Yes, I'm getting stuck in 1X AND I used to have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 16 7.27%
Yes, I'm getting stuck in 1X but I did NOT have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 117 53.18%
No, no problems here AND I used to have a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 7 3.18%
No, no problems here and I never had a hacked Sprint TP1 on my account 80 36.36%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are you having trouble staying in 3G (getting stuck in 1X), VZW TP2 folks?

I got the results of my trouble ticket today:

Quote:
Have the customer open up the debug menu for the aircard and verify that his system is set to automatic. Everything on the network side is okay.
First of all I do not have an aircard, I have a Touch Pro 2.

2nd of all the debug menu on this phone does not have an interface to change any settings. That must either be done via EPST or via the phone>menu>options. My phone was already set to Automatic. This happens regardless of what it's set to, so obviously this isn't the issue.

I'm really frustrated by the amount of information that I provided to them in the beginning and that it took them so long to assign someone to look at it (10 days). Then they close the ticket and say it's been resolved.

Having said that the tech I spoke to at Verizon was extremely nice & acted genuinely concerned about my problem. He said he was going to open a product support ticket and also speak with his data supervisor and call me back tomorrow. If they don't figure this out soon, I'm going to bail though.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: vzw

jlbusch is just getting started

I too spoke too soon today it was all 1x all day...buls**t...soft reset...3g for 15 sec then back to 1x....
Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus

Never had a problem with not getting 3g with this phone, or my e815 or my xv6800, provided sufficient signal strength. But Verizon's reception around here is the best of all carriers and always has been...

I'm assuming you guys have done a *228 Option TWO to grab the new tower list? I see lots of mentions of option ONE skimming this thread but not of option TWO. This isn't just purely for "roaming" the name is rather misleading.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Almost a VIP

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yes, I've done option 2 to update my PRL, but it's pointless to keep doing that if you already have the latest PRL (51545), which is also downloaded when you do option 1. Nor is this a tower or signal strength issure. As I've said before, the signal strenght where I live (next to a Verizon corporate store in downtown Seattle) is as good as it gets. Since my old phone never did this, I guess it's just the phone itself.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

imnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIPimnuts is a VIP

My phone appeared to be stuck in 1x yesterday? or the day before, forget which, when I got to work as the icon at the top of the screen only showed 1X and I have a very good 3G signal at work. I didn't connect to data to confirm I was actually stuck in 1x, but a soft reset and the icon when back to 3g. I'm wondering if the 6.5 update will include a new radio or not to potentially resolve the issue.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

gbruyn is becoming a great contributor

I also have been having this issue since I got the phone. I've started a ticket with VZW. I'm guessing that they are probably knee deep in the 6.5 update, so I doubt they'll address it if it's a software issue on our phone until after that is done --- maybe the 6.5 update will have the fix already in it. I just don't see them working on 6.1 fix if it's already going to be fixed in 6.5. I hope I'm wrong though, because this is annoying! Keep complaining and maybe we'll get the point across.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon / HTC Touch Pro2

Protonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularProtonus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Protonus Send a message via AIM to Protonus Send a message via MSN to Protonus Send a message via Yahoo to Protonus

Well, I realized that I may be being affected by this issue and not noticing it. I almost always leave WiFi on all the time, because I have it at home, work, and around here it's nearly everywhere. With WiFi on, WinMo changes the 3G/1X indicator to the WiFi data indicator in the status bar. So for all I know I guess, I could be in 1x a lot. But since I'm using WiFi for data, I wouldn't notice a speed drop anyways. Hmm.

I never liked that the WiFi indicator took the place of the 3G/1x indicator, any way to change this? The 3G/1x indicator really should be part of the Signal Strength indicator, IMHO. That makes a lot more sense to me. Or just it's own icon all the time.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

gbruyn is becoming a great contributor

Just had a VZW tech call me back. He said that the engineers said that I am in a light coverage area (a valley) but they are upgrading their system and it should be fixed next week. I guess they didn't remember me telling them that this happens at plenty of other places and areas where I have FULL COVERAGE. Anyone else hear anything back?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Almost a VIP

They left me a voicemail today asking that I call them back from a landline for an update on my ticket. I assumed they had more info than what I posted above. I walked over to the local Verizon store in case they wanted me to do something on the phone to fix it. After being put on hold about 7 times, and 25 minutes later, the guy said there was nothing wrong on the network side and that their technicians determined it's a device issue, and that I needed a new aircard. I explained again that I don't have an aircard. He said "oh I mean when you're tethering your device". I explained I wasn't tethering.

I've determined 3 things: 1) the data support people are really nice, but they seem to really have a hard time understanding a very basic problem: that the phone gets stuck in 1x mode and will not revert back to 3G on it's own. 2) it will take a lot more than me to get them to recognize this is a widespread issue and 3) this phone either has a hardware or software issue - my old phone never did this.

I also looked around the other phones in the store. They all had a 3G connection, except for 1 phone: An Ozone. It was stuck on a 1x connection. Who makes the Ozone? HTC does.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Pro 2

rp4643 is just getting started

Ok here is my update, I was in San Antonio and it NEVER got stuck. I get back to New Mexico and bam stuck at 1X and had to do a *228 to get back to 3G, What ever is happening it seems that when a phone goes to 1X as it should it doesnt like to go back to 3G which it also should. Why? I know it really sucks because there is such a diff in speed. My open ticket has not been addresed as of yet. So....the saga continues.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2