PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TELUS TP2 worldwide using GSM SIM card

Thanks so much for your info!!

Most european GSM providers make users set SIM PIN codes to protect their accounts (since you could easily find a SIM card and put it in another phone and begin racking up charges). The way this works is, when you turn on the phone and it begins reading the SIM it will ask for a SIM unlock code, or PIN. It seems that your deactivated SIMs never had a PIN code so that's why your not seeing the message.

The fact that it CAN read SIM contacts is a HUGE deal. Most global phones on Sprint and Verizon still don't support this feature. You're basically locked down to just placing and receiving calls, but then again, they don't really need this feature included since most global customers will have their contacts on their device already.

SIM manager program!!!?? GREATNESS!

I would really appreciate any info on the data capability. This would be icing on the cake and guarantees I will be ordering the phone on release day.

Again, thanks for everything, you're saving me a lot of headaches.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

chopsxxx is just getting started
Talking Re: TELUS TP2 worldwide using GSM SIM card

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
Thanks so much for your info!!

Most european GSM providers make users set SIM PIN codes to protect their accounts (since you could easily find a SIM card and put it in another phone and begin racking up charges). The way this works is, when you turn on the phone and it begins reading the SIM it will ask for a SIM unlock code, or PIN. It seems that your deactivated SIMs never had a PIN code so that's why your not seeing the message.

The fact that it CAN read SIM contacts is a HUGE deal. Most global phones on Sprint and Verizon still don't support this feature. You're basically locked down to just placing and receiving calls, but then again, they don't really need this feature included since most global customers will have their contacts on their device already.

SIM manager program!!!?? GREATNESS!

I would really appreciate any info on the data capability. This would be icing on the cake and guarantees I will be ordering the phone on release day.

Again, thanks for everything, you're saving me a lot of headaches.
ALRIGHT EVERYONE!!! I just borrowed a friend's ROGERS SIM card and tested it out. IT WORKED!!! We called her phone #, which was now my TP2, and had a nice little chat/test. The Data icon went to G then finally E. I'm assuming that's GPRS to EDGE? I didnt test it further or anything - didnt have time, friend had to go.

So HERE IS THE DEAL: it would seem that as hoped/expected the Telus TP2 can be unlocked and used on any provider in NA it would seem, let alone providers in other countries.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EvoLTE,3D, Iphone 4s
Carrier: Sprint

2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep2k4mach is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 2k4mach Send a message via MSN to 2k4mach Send a message via Yahoo to 2k4mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsxxx View Post
ALRIGHT EVERYONE!!! I just borrowed a friend's ROGERS SIM card and tested it out. IT WORKED!!! We called her phone #, which was now my TP2, and had a nice little chat/test. The Data icon went to G then finally E. I'm assuming that's GPRS to EDGE? I didnt test it further or anything - didnt have time, friend had to go.

So HERE IS THE DEAL: it would seem that as hoped/expected the Telus TP2 can be unlocked and used on any provider in NA it would seem, let alone providers in other countries.

thats great news thnx for trying it out
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

touchprogeek is a n00b

Only thing left to figure out is whether the TP2 can do HSPA/UMTS on Rogers... then it is the ULTIMATE phone!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Lurker

Shad0w is a n00b

Just to confirm, it's CDMA or GSM and can't handle both at the same time, correct?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

touchprogeek is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
Just to confirm, it's CDMA or GSM and can't handle both at the same time, correct?
Actually, it looks like this is a CDMA phone which will do 3G (EVDO Rev.A) on the CDMA networks AND also works on the GSM networks. Rogers is a 850/1900MHz GSM network so it looks like its working on those frequencies. According to the HTC specs, it should work on all GSM frequencies 850/900/1800/1900 but the phone comes SIM locked. The OP in this thread is one of the first to get his phone unlocked and try to see if we can really used the GSM radio and it worked!

But GSM (and GPRS & EDGE) are 2G, I wanna know if it can do HSPA/UMTS 3G!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Lurker

Shad0w is a n00b

Right, I get that. Just wondering if it can do both CDMA and GSM simultaneously. ie, have 2 phone numbers active with one on each network and accept calls on either without having to switch networks in the settings.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: VZW TP2 GREATEST VZW PHONE EVER
Carrier: VZW

isdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuffisdnmatt knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsxxx View Post

Thanks! Big steps forward. I wish that you would actually try initiating a data connection maybe using the log in settings from your friend's phone? It may not even be necessary.

The phone can't use both the GSM and CDMA radios at the same time. It just has settings whether to use GSM only, CDMA only, or Global (Search for CDMA signal, if none available, search GSM)
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

chopsxxx is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnmatt View Post
Thanks! Big steps forward. I wish that you would actually try initiating a data connection maybe using the log in settings from your friend's phone? It may not even be necessary.

The phone can't use both the GSM and CDMA radios at the same time. It just has settings whether to use GSM only, CDMA only, or Global (Search for CDMA signal, if none available, search GSM)
That's absolutely correct - only one system or the other at a given time. Otherwise you could conceivably ring your phone simultaneously at two different #'s. I can only imagine that it would then catch fire and explode.

I won't be able to answer the HSPA question on rogers til I get back, I don't think. But I'm certain that the phone is capable of GSM 3G - it HAS to be... I will, however, be keen to see if the data is speedy and HSPA in Australia.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: rogers

maedhros is keeping up the good workmaedhros is keeping up the good work

Hey guys. I just got my cell unlocked (took about 30 mins for code to come in). If you want I can link the site, they have a location in GTA, but you can get it online. I Literaly ordered it, cut the grass, came inside and unlocked the phone.

Anyways, the phone is only catching EDGE speeds with rogers, so I think 3G is out of the question. I don't even see any way to choose 3G or edge. If you want I can do some tests or something.

Hey CHopp, just a quick question, how did u get VM set up?

Thanks.

Last edited by maedhros; 08-18-2009 at 10:04 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2