PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX
Re: OFFICIAL VGA PANDORA APP! (won't be coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Why does the better Pandora and N4S exist on iPod/iPhone but not WM? If it were because of some shortcoming on Microsoft's OS, I'd understand. Sadly, it seems to be more to do with the popularity game. Developers have shifted their sights to the more popular platforms, since they understandably want to target as many users with the least amount of effort. WM is losing in the popularity race right now. Its a danged shame. One of the reasons I've stuck with WM for so long is the long history of app developments that I use (I still have applications I use regularly dating back to Pocket PC 2003)... But its getting to a point where new developers are not bothering as much with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianthobbit View Post
Your totally right but I think your laying the blame in the wrong place. If Microsoft would have made a compelling OS update, consumers % would be higher and then higher developer support. It's Micro$fts fault for completely and utterly dropping the ball in the mobile arena.
I like how everyone puts the blame on MS for not making a "compelling" OS update, but people fail to look at the larger picture. WinMo is still popular amongst most users like us BECAUSE they haven't made a radical update. The newer OS's still support really old apps that some of us still use (as highlighted in dishe's post).

MS has a very fine line to walk in terms of making something compelling and fresh and maintaining support for legacy applications. The newer mobile OS's (iphone, WebOS, Android) don't have this problem yet as they are all much newer than WinMo.

Now I know MS can and likely will do more than what they've done so far. I just want people to realize that the reason that haven't done more isn't just because they are lazy and don't care.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

The problem with developing for Windows Mobile is that the hardware involved is all over the map where as the iPhone and Pre all have exactly the same hardware (well differences between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens but essentially the same) so as the OS gets updated these developers can just tweak their app. For the most part all Android phones are the same (Except for the Droid) in so far as screen res and memory and such but it is also open source so I imagine it is easier to develop for (assumption here so don't blast me). Windows Mobile devices are all over the map in so far as specs, keyboards vs no keyboards, touch screen vs non touch etc etc. Android also has some of these issues and I think as the devices begin to vary more they will have the same problem developing apps for it but anyway... Pandora is not the first company to say that it is just too big of a pain to develop for Windows Mobile but I honestly believe that Windows Mobile 7 will shut all of them up because they are moving to an approved specs system where the phones have to meet certain hardware requirements. Just sayin
Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
The problem with developing for Windows Mobile is that the hardware involved is all over the map where as the iPhone and Pre all have exactly the same hardware (well differences between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens but essentially the same) so as the OS gets updated these developers can just tweak their app. For the most part all Android phones are the same (Except for the Droid) in so far as screen res and memory and such but it is also open source so I imagine it is easier to develop for (assumption here so don't blast me). Windows Mobile devices are all over the map in so far as specs, keyboards vs no keyboards, touch screen vs non touch etc etc. Android also has some of these issues and I think as the devices begin to vary more they will have the same problem developing apps for it but anyway... Pandora is not the first company to say that it is just too big of a pain to develop for Windows Mobile but I honestly believe that Windows Mobile 7 will shut all of them up because they are moving to an approved specs system where the phones have to meet certain hardware requirements. Just sayin
Spoken like someone who doesn't develop software.

Just like desktop windows, part of the point of the OS layer is to have drivers that handle all that hardware differentiation stuff.
For example, if you have software waiting for the letter O to be pressed, an Xperia X1 has a totally different keyboard driver than the Touch Pro, versus a virtual keyboard on a Diamond... the software won't care. The standard keyboard driver will tell the software that a key has been pressed.

Same thing with audio hardware and even touchscreen/nontouchscreen. I've run touchscreen apps on a moto Q. Hard to navigate without an actual touch, but with the D-pad we managed to get around. Point is, standardized modular operating systems + device drivers = one app to work on many.

Point is, its actually very EASY to code for Windows Mobile.

Its not like I'm asking for them to make a new version for LiMo, or Nokia's Maemo... they already HAVE a WM version! This should take a very minimal amount of effort, but they are casting us off as a dead platform.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Spoken like someone who doesn't develop software.

Just like desktop windows, part of the point of the OS layer is to have drivers that handle all that hardware differentiation stuff.
For example, if you have software waiting for the letter O to be pressed, an Xperia X1 has a totally different keyboard driver than the Touch Pro, versus a virtual keyboard on a Diamond... the software won't care. The standard keyboard driver will tell the software that a key has been pressed.

Same thing with audio hardware and even touchscreen/nontouchscreen. I've run touchscreen apps on a moto Q. Hard to navigate without an actual touch, but with the D-pad we managed to get around. Point is, standardized modular operating systems + device drivers = one app to work on many.

Point is, its actually very EASY to code for Windows Mobile.

Its not like I'm asking for them to make a new version for LiMo, or Nokia's Maemo... they already HAVE a WM version! This should take a very minimal amount of effort, but they are casting us off as a dead platform.
Like I said I was making assumptions about the programming. I based them off of various articles I have read since Apples App Store and Androids Market have popped up which talked about the problem with having so many different types of hardware for one platform that all run various versions of Windows Mobile. What I should have said more clearly is that these companies that offer Free apps are being lazy and don't want to have to change an app multiple times (screen res, Win5 vs 6 vs 6.1 vs 6.5 vs 6.5.1, Standard, Professional, etc. You can tell me again that these things don't matter but I have used windows mobile for quite a few years and using a program that was not meant for a particular version or model can be hit or miss) when they feel they don't have to. Do I think Pandora and some of these other companies should provide at the very least decent apps for all flavors of phone... Yes of course but they are getting their coverage with iPhone and Pre and Android with minimal cost on their part so why should they care to spend more.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

NCHEVYHEVN is keeping up the good workNCHEVYHEVN is keeping up the good work

Quote:
but they are casting us off as a dead platform.
That's because it is a dead platform. iPhone, Blackberry, and Android are posting record sells but Windows Mobile is falling. Let's invest in Saturn or Pontiac. It's not a wise decision from a business prospective.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: sprint

piratedninja is keeping up the good workpiratedninja is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to piratedninja

why cant they just make it so that the community can make apps for pandora?
like twitter

they have an app for android, which doesnt make sense because android devices are just as different from model to model as WM devices
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHEVYHEVN View Post
That's because it is a dead platform. iPhone, Blackberry, and Android are posting record sells but Windows Mobile is falling. Let's invest in Saturn or Pontiac. It's not a wise decision from a business prospective.
Did you get lost and wonder onto PPCGeeks or are you just confused?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I pretty much gave up on them as well. I asked about a VGA device when I got my original Touch Pro, and realized they clearly have absolutely no idea what they're doing, or at least the person answer the e-mails doesn't
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 Customized
Carrier: SPRINT

dallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good workdallastx is keeping up the good work

Win Mo is a complicated OS compared to Andorid, Web OS, Iphone.....We are complaining because we are a small amount that buy Win mo. Win Mo is outdated to companies developing entertainment for phones. The kids, women, and old people "most" get the easy toy phones to use. With that being said, its easier to slap a app on a "toy" phone and call it a day. ..I love Win Mo till the day i die, but unfortunally we are not the friendly toy phone. HTC has brought us joy with there tweaks and skin, but Win Mo still not for average user. Not to mention its easy to pirate Win Mo apps. That's just my thoughts...Long live Win Mo!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
Win Mo is a complicated OS compared to Andorid, Web OS, Iphone.....We are complaining because we are a small amount that buy Win mo. Win Mo is outdated to companies developing entertainment for phones. The kids, women, and old people "most" get the easy toy phones to use. With that being said, its easier to slap a app on a "toy" phone and call it a day. ..I love Win Mo till the day i die, but unfortunally we are not the friendly toy phone. HTC has brought us joy with there tweaks and skin, but Win Mo still not for average user. Not to mention its easy to pirate Win Mo apps. That's just my thoughts...Long live Win Mo!
Yes, because I'm sure many people will be pirating a freely distributed app... :/

I understand that the other platforms are getting them more recognition with less effort, but come one already- there is already a WM pandora app! I just needs to be updated, I'm not expecting a complete overhaul/rewrite! We shouldn't have to hack something together to make it work like we are currently.
Its just not worth the time/effort because WM doesn't make as much noise in the marketplace. I say we make some noise. Everyone who views this thread should send Pandora an email (address pasted on the first page).
Might not help, but it couldn't hurt to let them know there is most likely a large enough user base worth investing a little time for.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2