View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:21 AM
sikclown
PPCGeeks Regular

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OFFICIAL VGA PANDORA APP! (won't be coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn't develop software.

Just like desktop windows, part of the point of the OS layer is to have drivers that handle all that hardware differentiation stuff.
For example, if you have software waiting for the letter O to be pressed, an Xperia X1 has a totally different keyboard driver than the Touch Pro, versus a virtual keyboard on a Diamond... the software won't care. The standard keyboard driver will tell the software that a key has been pressed.

Same thing with audio hardware and even touchscreen/nontouchscreen. I've run touchscreen apps on a moto Q. Hard to navigate without an actual touch, but with the D-pad we managed to get around. Point is, standardized modular operating systems + device drivers = one app to work on many.

Point is, its actually very EASY to code for Windows Mobile.

Its not like I'm asking for them to make a new version for LiMo, or Nokia's Maemo... they already HAVE a WM version! This should take a very minimal amount of effort, but they are casting us off as a dead platform.
Like I said I was making assumptions about the programming. I based them off of various articles I have read since Apples App Store and Androids Market have popped up which talked about the problem with having so many different types of hardware for one platform that all run various versions of Windows Mobile. What I should have said more clearly is that these companies that offer Free apps are being lazy and don't want to have to change an app multiple times (screen res, Win5 vs 6 vs 6.1 vs 6.5 vs 6.5.1, Standard, Professional, etc. You can tell me again that these things don't matter but I have used windows mobile for quite a few years and using a program that was not meant for a particular version or model can be hit or miss) when they feel they don't have to. Do I think Pandora and some of these other companies should provide at the very least decent apps for all flavors of phone... Yes of course but they are getting their coverage with iPhone and Pre and Android with minimal cost on their part so why should they care to spend more.