PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFFICIAL VGA PANDORA APP! (won't be coming soon)

Just got an official response from the COO of Pandora, saying that they are NOT planning to invest any more resources in updating the Windows Mobile client.

Originally, he told me that the reason was that many WM devices vary in hardware too much and are not compatible with each other. Therefore, an app needs to be developed for each device and that just is too much work to support all the various flavors of WM.

I call BS. Plenty of media-rich apps works on multiple devices with varying resolutions. Heck, we've even gotten the old Pandora to work on new VGA devices by hacking and tweaking (found here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48458 ). But even when we use these workarounds to make it function, the UI is terrible since it was designed for a smaller resolution and having a D-Pad (which the TP2 does not even have). So, it would seem to me that all we need is for Pandora to update the UI a little, and we could have a release for new phones!

When I mentioned this Mr. Handman, this was his response (clipped for length and private info):

Quote:
"We have invested a great deal of time and effort, including use of third parties with extensive WM5 and WM6 development experience, in second and even third generation attempts at WM applications for Pandora. None of the resulting apps have made us happy. Compare this with the results we got in much shorter timeframes and lower costs for iPhone, Blackberry and Android platforms.

The sad truth is that the WM5/6 platform devices simply don't do the job as we need them to do. Battery life, audio quality, device hangs, etc are all issues. Pandora is a very complex application. Much more so than a broadcast stream. Even slight changes in the hardware seem to make enormous differences in the way our applications work on WM devices. These aren't trivial problems. For example, the volume controls buttons don't work.

Perhaps WM7 will change the situation. For now we need to focus our limited resourced where they will get the best results. "
Does that sound like the Windows Mobile we are familiar with to anyone? Heck, the Palm Pre has terrible battery life in comparison to our TP2s, and it gets a new app...
Am I alone in feeling like these are excuses to blow off the question?

It sounds to me like WM just isn't "popular enough" to care about according to them.
In my opinion, with the right developers working on this, it shouldn't take much time at all to just update the app a little.

So- I propose we show Pandora that they are WRONG about WM, and that the community is large enough to warrant a new app!
Email pandora-support@pandora.com and get their attention! Or, contact me if you'd like to email Mr. Handman directly...

If we make enough noise, perhaps he'll reconsider.

Last edited by dishe; 12-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX
Re: OFFICIAL VGA PANDORA APP! (won't be coming soon)

I gave up on Pandora a while ago. I rely on Slacker and Grooveshark now. I'm just waiting for Slacker to get a WM app, groovefish to get login/playlist support, or Flash 10.1 to make those options moot.

Jumped ship for Android now that WM is officially useless.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
I gave up on Pandora a while ago. I rely on Slacker and Grooveshark now. I'm just waiting for Slacker to get a WM app, groovefish to get login/playlist support, or Flash 10.1 to make those options moot.
Me too.
I don't even use pandora at home anymore.
I gave up on them.
Thanks for that email address... I will be sending them a cancellation notice! And I will not pay this months bill!
Lol I don't really have a bill. Just got caught up in the rant. Pandora shmandora... Not good enough for me to be that bothered by it. I'm just waiting for W7. Hopefully I won't be let down by MS. (again)

Lol.
p.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

WisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on repWisdomWolfX is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to WisdomWolfX

What really left a bad taste in my mouth was that Pandora's skip limit on the paid account is the same as slacker's free account.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Epic 4g
Carrier: Spriznint

Jok3sta is keeping up the good workJok3sta is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.16823/1128; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

maybe imeem will work on a winmo app
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I use Pandora all the time, but it certainly annoys me when I see how awesome the Pandora app is in my ipod touch compared to the hacked POS in my TP2.........

Pandora & Need For Speed Undercover are the two things in my ipod that absolutely blow away their WM equivalants.....

~John
Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I use Pandora all the time, but it certainly annoys me when I see how awesome the Pandora app is in my ipod touch compared to the hacked POS in my TP2.........

Pandora & Need For Speed Undercover are the two things in my ipod that absolutely blow away their WM equivalants.....

~John

I know... All my iPhone/iPod friends and family show off Pandora... So I have it on my phone...
But.
I only use it to show off the icon. lol. It's a pain running it.
p.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

NCHEVYHEVN is keeping up the good workNCHEVYHEVN is keeping up the good work

I honestly don't blame them. Why invest into a software that is falling in sales. It's not too smart for them money wise to spend the time to design in a failing product. Maybe WM7 will change things but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post

~John
What's ridiculous is that there is no good reason for this... Pandora basically told us that the only reason there isn't a new WM app is that other OS platforms have their priority. His arguments about WM not being capable enough are a complete fallacy, and clearly an excuse to justify not working on one.
And games like Xact prove that smooth 3D graphics needed for games like Need 4 Speed are possible.

To be honest, I don't really use Pandora much myself... Its something I think I would use more if there were a WM app, since most of my music is listened to in the car. What bothers me is more of the principle of the thing. Why DOESN'T WM have a decent Pandora app?

Why does the better Pandora and N4S exist on iPod/iPhone but not WM? If it were because of some shortcoming on Microsoft's OS, I'd understand. Sadly, it seems to be more to do with the popularity game. Developers have shifted their sights to the more popular platforms, since they understandably want to target as many users with the least amount of effort. WM is losing in the popularity race right now. Its a danged shame. One of the reasons I've stuck with WM for so long is the long history of app developments that I use (I still have applications I use regularly dating back to Pocket PC 2003)... But its getting to a point where new developers are not bothering as much with us.

This is one of the things that bothers me about the iPhone. I'm all for people having a smartphone that works for them, and I understand WM isn't for everyone... for when it starts to mess with the Smartphone industry as a whole, I have a problem with it.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

gianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
What's ridiculous is that there is no good reason for this... Pandora basically told us that the only reason there isn't a new WM app is that other OS platforms have their priority. His arguments about WM not being capable enough are a complete fallacy, and clearly an excuse to justify not working on one.
And games like Xact prove that smooth 3D graphics needed for games like Need 4 Speed are possible.

To be honest, I don't really use Pandora much myself... Its something I think I would use more if there were a WM app, since most of my music is listened to in the car. What bothers me is more of the principle of the thing. Why DOESN'T WM have a decent Pandora app?

Why does the better Pandora and N4S exist on iPod/iPhone but not WM? If it were because of some shortcoming on Microsoft's OS, I'd understand. Sadly, it seems to be more to do with the popularity game. Developers have shifted their sights to the more popular platforms, since they understandably want to target as many users with the least amount of effort. WM is losing in the popularity race right now. Its a danged shame. One of the reasons I've stuck with WM for so long is the long history of app developments that I use (I still have applications I use regularly dating back to Pocket PC 2003)... But its getting to a point where new developers are not bothering as much with us.

This is one of the things that bothers me about the iPhone. I'm all for people having a smartphone that works for them, and I understand WM isn't for everyone... for when it starts to mess with the Smartphone industry as a whole, I have a problem with it.
Your totally right but I think your laying the blame in the wrong place. If Microsoft would have made a compelling OS update, consumers % would be higher and then higher developer support. It's Micro$fts fault for completely and utterly dropping the ball in the mobile arena.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2