View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OFFICIAL VGA PANDORA APP! (won't be coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
The problem with developing for Windows Mobile is that the hardware involved is all over the map where as the iPhone and Pre all have exactly the same hardware (well differences between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens but essentially the same) so as the OS gets updated these developers can just tweak their app. For the most part all Android phones are the same (Except for the Droid) in so far as screen res and memory and such but it is also open source so I imagine it is easier to develop for (assumption here so don't blast me). Windows Mobile devices are all over the map in so far as specs, keyboards vs no keyboards, touch screen vs non touch etc etc. Android also has some of these issues and I think as the devices begin to vary more they will have the same problem developing apps for it but anyway... Pandora is not the first company to say that it is just too big of a pain to develop for Windows Mobile but I honestly believe that Windows Mobile 7 will shut all of them up because they are moving to an approved specs system where the phones have to meet certain hardware requirements. Just sayin
Spoken like someone who doesn't develop software.

Just like desktop windows, part of the point of the OS layer is to have drivers that handle all that hardware differentiation stuff.
For example, if you have software waiting for the letter O to be pressed, an Xperia X1 has a totally different keyboard driver than the Touch Pro, versus a virtual keyboard on a Diamond... the software won't care. The standard keyboard driver will tell the software that a key has been pressed.

Same thing with audio hardware and even touchscreen/nontouchscreen. I've run touchscreen apps on a moto Q. Hard to navigate without an actual touch, but with the D-pad we managed to get around. Point is, standardized modular operating systems + device drivers = one app to work on many.

Point is, its actually very EASY to code for Windows Mobile.

Its not like I'm asking for them to make a new version for LiMo, or Nokia's Maemo... they already HAVE a WM version! This should take a very minimal amount of effort, but they are casting us off as a dead platform.