PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint

mboudro is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdg View Post
2 options.

1. hard reset and then delete the reg key before ever attempting to connect to data.

2. recreate the reg key exactly, connect to data via handset, then delete reg key.
Well I don't want to hard reset if I don't have to even though everything is backed up...

I found the key but I am not that good with registry editing... would anyone be willing to help?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
"Extension"="rilphone.dll"

Thanks.

EDIT:
I am using PHM Registry Editor and I know how to navigate.. I just need to know how to recreate the key exactly..

Last edited by mboudro; 01-11-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 Mogul

Mach30SiR is a n00b
^^^ I have PHM Reg Edit also, but am clueless on how to work this.

Is this absolutly the correct way to connect without being detected. Also has anyone cab-ed this reg edit lately? Guess next step is to have a look around the reg tweeking section of this forum.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: sprint

pflatlyne is a n00b
I can assure you,the registry tweak does in fact solve the error 67 issue. This is not a rumor,its a fact,try it yourself if you don't believe me. Whats going on is that your not aware of how the phone handles internet connections and how the work around for the NAI works.

If you have a stock,unaltered factory fresh phone,you CAN connect using ICS without a registry hack,but you have to use the work around. You connect to the internet either from the connections (by holding your stylus on the connection for sprint and then selecting connect) or by launching an application like internet explorer. Once the phone is connected to the internet,it wont try to reconnect if you use ICS,it just uses the connection it already has.

If your already connected to the internet,and you try ICS,it connects and you dont get the error 67. If you don't realize this,you think that its just random if it connects or not.(or at least alot of people seem to think this) If you go ahead and do the registry tweaks as outlined on the XDA dev forum in the post for chainfires app,it connects every single time,even if you make sure the internet is disconnected first. Its absolutely reliable.

As for the modem NAI,this is actually well known among users of Samsung phones. Most Samsung CDMA phones have a secret menu. If you go into and turn "secondary modem nai" to off,you can tether without a PAM plan ( but you need to have unlimited internet or you get charged) I know this to be true from personal experience. Before I got my Mogul,I used a Samsung A920. Without the hack,it would not tether,with the hack it did. Unlike the mogul,connecting to the internet first did not help. It would only tether with the secondary modem NAI disabled.

PDA net is something completely different. Applications like PDAnet and USBModem are just applications like Internet Explorer. They take that data and route it to your computer. Sprint has no way to tell what is using that data. Of course,thats only true if your usage pattern is very similar to the usage from the phone. If sprint cares to look,they can see what kind of traffic your sending over the connection. If you run a bit torrent client,they may suspect you of tethering,they might even take action if they choose to,but there is no real way they can "prove" that you dont have a windows mobile bit torrent client (does such a thing exist,it would be pretty cool to have one) on your phone. Of course,its not a court of law so sprint does not have to prove anything. (Of course we could sue if they get way out of hand,but thats another story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydunning View Post
Ok, so if I'm following, all the technical aspects lead to the conclusion that no registry tweaks perform any valuable contribution towards using the ICS progam to tether. Meaning the process should work simply by launching ICS, launching PIE, connecting desktop, and remembering to disconnect on Mogul when finished on PC.

Sprint is allowing the tethering, and currently has the means to be aware of it despite currently used registry tweaks. Unless there is a true ICS Multi-NAI disable, we are able to tether only due to Sprint's good graces, which only last as far as our data usage patterns don't get red-flagged, or Sprint decides to no longer look favorably upon casual tethering.

What is hard to understand is the multitude of forum posts indicating an Error 67 is solved or influenced by the (useless) registry tweaks. It also calls into question whether PDAnet truly provides an "invisibility" in the sharing process it invokes, or simply a simpler, 1-click pretty interface operating the same "detectable" tethering process detailed above.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

pflatlyne is a n00b
I assure you,tethering without PAM (only unlimited internet) is very very real. I do it all the time. In fact,Im writing to you while tethered right now. I used to do it with my Samsung A920 as well,but the hack was very different as the A920 is a brew device. (The samsung has a secret menu you can disable secondary modem NAI from.)

ICS over WiFi is done with Chainfires WMWifirouter program. Here is a link to the thread over at XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=341398

Quote:
luv2chill, thank you for your invaluable answers.. i suppose had i considered that ICS uses PAN over BT rather than DUN, i could've figured out that ICS ≠ Modem...(that and the correlation btw xp ICS and wm ICS).. My brain is slow.. It's a friday! But seriously thank you for the straightforward answers. You've been a great help!

WHAAAAAA???!!! this is the MOST obvious solution to me, i was peeeved when i found out only BT & USB were supported! .. you wouldn't happen to have a linky would you???

I'm amazed how much mis-information is floating around these forums then.. i've waded through pages and pages of crap!! Your theory concerning the BT DUN profile/DUN reg entry sounds way too legitimate for it to be coincidence.

when i get a chance to play around i'll post back.. hopefully this weekend.. but the fair's in town so i can't guarantee anything.. haha

@ ebmorgan, my apologies for the 'sorely' comment.

it appears (as luv2chill stated) that the wmodem application and the ICS application are unrelated. This makes logical sense.

I'll have to play around and see how i get error 67's..

anyone know why we have both "Sprint PCS" and "Phone as Modem" connection options if they both do the same thing?

I've read all over these forums that people are tethering without PAM plans.. but now i'm not sure how much of that is BS...

my goal is to find a way to tether WITHOUT a PAM plan, and WITHOUT any third party software..(pdanet)

prior to obtaining my mogul, i was on the 39.99 unlim PAM with my Fusic & BT DUN..NO Sprint connection manager.. i hate un-necessary complication.

the second i read the "disable multi nai" hack thread, i called up and removed the pam plan..Now i'm regretting it!

if there's a way around it though, then no sense in paying un-necessarily. (I'm a firm believer in "if it can be done a better, cheaper way, then i want to figure out how to DO it)
Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

pflatlyne is a n00b
Then explain how I was able to do it on my Samsung A920. The long and the short of it is,the sprint phones are setup to log in to a different accound depending on whether they are tethering or not. The hacks we do make it log in under the same account as normal internet. Thats how the work around works.

Quote:
guys.. I had just 'assumed' (we all know what that does) that the mogul was PAM-enabled, and thus M.IP 2 was populated with [username]@pam.sprintpcs.com.

i have not eer verified this, i just 'assumed'...

as of now, (and according to sprint, as a result of my removal of the 'pam' plan), my device is failing to IOTA.. (ticket has been opened on sprint's end)
in my troubleshooting steps i have reset all the M.IP's so for me, M.IP 1 & 2 are blank till my device can once again IOTA. I will at that time double check the M.IP 2 field and verify luv2chill's statement that it is, infact, NOT used on the MOGUL..

I can only assume he's correct though, as he has a mogul..

if a phone is PAM-capable (or rather, capable of detecting tethering), regardless of whether a PAM plan is attached, BOTH M.IP's are populated as i described in my long post..

the code i mentioned briefly, that creates these two M.IP's, is called IP_BASIC.
(i mention this so that no assumption is made that the M.IP 2 is not created/populated unless a PAM plan exists.. this is simply not true)..

If the mogul infact, does NOT get M.IP 2 populated, this explains how users are able to tether without any usage charges. the M.IP nai disable myth is BUSTED!!!

will keep you updated, although i trust that luv2chill knows what he's talking about

p.s.... if an M.IP is blank, it is useless...
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

pflatlyne is a n00b
Hmmm,I may not have been completely accurate in my assurances that the hack worked. ONE of the PAM hacks works.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=341398 lists two keys to change. One or both did the job. It is in fact true however,that PAM can be hacked. If it could not,I would not be typing to you right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmorgan View Post
Okay...so the reg hack is debunked.

My next thing is....I don't get error 67s when starting up ICS. I can have no "arrows", just the "EV" block....and ICS still starts up fine.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

pflatlyne is a n00b
I noticed that earlier rom revisions had a problem with hosing the internet connection information. It was so bad that even a hard reset would not fix it. It would throw 67 errors and give an error on IOTA. I spent several hours on the phone with sprint tech support and they finally had me completely reset the entire phone.

Enter ##786# You will be prompted for your MSL. This sesets entire phone to factory settings.This wipes out everything including stored phone numbers,call history and completely resets the windows mobile installation to factory defaults removing anything you have done. It differs from holding the reset and pressing the softkeys in that it resets the phone as well. This fixed my problem (that time and several times since) Before you can use your phone again you will need to reset the MSID and MDMI. I beleive these should just be your phone number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboudro View Post
Well I don't want to hard reset if I don't have to even though everything is backed up...

I found the key but I am not that good with registry editing... would anyone be willing to help?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]

Thanks.

EDIT:
I am using PHM Registry Editor and I know how to navigate.. I just need to know how to recreate the key exactly..
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflatlyne View Post
... have a windows mobile bit torrent client (does such a thing exist,it would be pretty cool to have one) on your phone. Of course,its not a court of law so sprint does not have to prove anything. (Of course we could sue if they get way out of hand,but thats another story)
It does exist and it is pretty cool. http://www.adisasta.com/wmTorrent.html
Old 01-12-2008, 09:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro 2

firebrain is just getting started
This isn't really related to this thread but there is a post regarding this. If you change your M.IP 0 to your friends (who has a pv plan) esn. then enter your friends mdn and msid in the ##msl menu you should be able t o provison your phone to your friend account (thereby getting free pv) you can then switch back to your mdn and Msid. I know the phone doesn't need to have your service (your number) active on it in order use pv bec when I got a new phone I activated it and was still able to use PV on my old phone
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc Touch Pro

solarliving is a n00b
I don't have rilphone.dll registry entry on my Sprint Mogul

I don't have this on my Sprint Mogul purchased 1/3/08. It came with 2.09 ROM. I flashed it w/ 2.17 a few days later and had Sprint set me up with a different PRL file.

my registry entry under \InternetSharing is:
MaxCMCon=0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan