View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
pflatlyne
PPCGeeks Regular

pflatlyne is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can assure you,the registry tweak does in fact solve the error 67 issue. This is not a rumor,its a fact,try it yourself if you don't believe me. Whats going on is that your not aware of how the phone handles internet connections and how the work around for the NAI works.

If you have a stock,unaltered factory fresh phone,you CAN connect using ICS without a registry hack,but you have to use the work around. You connect to the internet either from the connections (by holding your stylus on the connection for sprint and then selecting connect) or by launching an application like internet explorer. Once the phone is connected to the internet,it wont try to reconnect if you use ICS,it just uses the connection it already has.

If your already connected to the internet,and you try ICS,it connects and you dont get the error 67. If you don't realize this,you think that its just random if it connects or not.(or at least alot of people seem to think this) If you go ahead and do the registry tweaks as outlined on the XDA dev forum in the post for chainfires app,it connects every single time,even if you make sure the internet is disconnected first. Its absolutely reliable.

As for the modem NAI,this is actually well known among users of Samsung phones. Most Samsung CDMA phones have a secret menu. If you go into and turn "secondary modem nai" to off,you can tether without a PAM plan ( but you need to have unlimited internet or you get charged) I know this to be true from personal experience. Before I got my Mogul,I used a Samsung A920. Without the hack,it would not tether,with the hack it did. Unlike the mogul,connecting to the internet first did not help. It would only tether with the secondary modem NAI disabled.

PDA net is something completely different. Applications like PDAnet and USBModem are just applications like Internet Explorer. They take that data and route it to your computer. Sprint has no way to tell what is using that data. Of course,thats only true if your usage pattern is very similar to the usage from the phone. If sprint cares to look,they can see what kind of traffic your sending over the connection. If you run a bit torrent client,they may suspect you of tethering,they might even take action if they choose to,but there is no real way they can "prove" that you dont have a windows mobile bit torrent client (does such a thing exist,it would be pretty cool to have one) on your phone. Of course,its not a court of law so sprint does not have to prove anything. (Of course we could sue if they get way out of hand,but thats another story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydunning View Post
Ok, so if I'm following, all the technical aspects lead to the conclusion that no registry tweaks perform any valuable contribution towards using the ICS progam to tether. Meaning the process should work simply by launching ICS, launching PIE, connecting desktop, and remembering to disconnect on Mogul when finished on PC.

Sprint is allowing the tethering, and currently has the means to be aware of it despite currently used registry tweaks. Unless there is a true ICS Multi-NAI disable, we are able to tether only due to Sprint's good graces, which only last as far as our data usage patterns don't get red-flagged, or Sprint decides to no longer look favorably upon casual tethering.

What is hard to understand is the multitude of forum posts indicating an Error 67 is solved or influenced by the (useless) registry tweaks. It also calls into question whether PDAnet truly provides an "invisibility" in the sharing process it invokes, or simply a simpler, 1-click pretty interface operating the same "detectable" tethering process detailed above.