PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: The price of being uninformed

We are laughing at the irony of the situation. Not the fact that he put one over on the guy. He didn't even do it on purpose, and would have NEVER known until that guy pulled out his phone.

I do a lot of craigslist to ebay business and vice versa. I thought long and hard about this. My first reaction is that I wouldn't have said anything either. I probably would have felt a bit guilty, as I generally do EVERY TIME I get a steal, but for simplicity's sake I suspect I would have left it at that.

Why? Well, if I tell the person about the gps, then they are going to want to know how to make it work. Then, if they aren't technically inclined, you've just opened a whole different can of worms. Better to just leave it alone. Plus he can always resell the device, probably for the same price.

My second inclination would be to "maybe" tell him, but be prepared to stay steadfast if he has no clue. I literally can't afford the time to walk someone through tech support. Then you feel guilty for not having the time to guide this nub. Yet again, it's probably just easier to leave well enough alone.

A reverse example of this is when I buy things. I often find laptops with screwed up mobos but perfect screens for 50-100 bucks in the classifieds. Screens that will fetch a couple hundred on ebay mind you. Do I have some sort of ethical responsibility to tell these people what I'm going to do with their broken laptop? Or to tell them that they "could" sell it on ebay for much more? The answer is no. I'm running a business. I'm not going around trying to turn people into technical enthusiast. Most people just plain don't care because they don't want to deal with all that "ebay mumbo jumbo". Or they have enough money that it doesn't matter. The few people who are interested just turn into a big project of trying to teach them. And usually they are smart enough to figure this stuff out eventually anyway.

Funny contra story: One time I went to pick a laptop, it was at a warehouse full of computers! I was pretty confused, and felt kinda guilty. Then the seller told me, "Yeah I figure'd you could throw it on ebay for a couple hundred. I only deal in bulk wholesale to refurbishers." So I came clean with him and we discussed future business.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started

Something I just thought of.... EBAY!

When most of you people get a steal off ebay, 'cause something was miscategorized, or spelled wrong, or the seller didn't include all the features in the listing you go an brag to your family and friends about how awesome a deal you got! Why didn't you email the seller and tell him? Ok, I'm sure there are a few cases so don't even bother posting them, I believe you. The point is that most arguments in favor of "moral obligation" to enlighten the buyer won't fly... for this particular situation.

Peace! I'm not trying to fuel the fire! lol.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4g, Optimus S
Carrier: Sprint

DexterDawg is becoming a great contributor

Why do we feel the need to assume everyone is a victim? What's next? Should the buyer file suit against him? How about for a couple 100K for all the emotional trauma.
This sounds like a legitimate transaction by every definition. Fact is consumers have a responsibility to be informed. Furthermore you guys are assuming he wasn't informed. Who even knows.
So I say congrats on making your sale. And I say congrats to the buyer for getting what he wanted at a fair price. Our free market is absolutely beautiful.

Dustin
Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800 mogul

Stevenewjersey is a n00b

I dont get why anyone bothers with external recievers when for about another 20% in price you get a full working unit that takes the phone out of the picture.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

iwillfearnoevil is just getting started

yeah maybe you should have told the seller after you had his money that maybe if he's lucky sprint will release an update with gps but you're going to charge him $20 and take the gps back for spending an hour of your day and gas etc to meet with the guy. and then tell him to buy some maps with his other $20 until then so he doesn't get lost!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

akastixx is keeping up the good workakastixx is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
Firstly, it's called embellishment. I was not literally holding in laughter. I made a small, barely noticeable even to myself chuckle when he pulled out his Mogul. I was not laughing at his ignorance or in "celebration".

I'm sure you've all had an experience where you saw someone making a decision that was perfectly rational given the facts they had available to them, but you had additional facts/wisdom/experience that they lacked, and it sort of made you chuckle a little. That's what I was "laughing" about.

I did not at the time, nor do I now think I "put one over on him."

The whole point of my post was to point out how staying informed of the things in our lives--things that may seem "nerdy" or "worthless"--can save us money. I'm not just talking electronics but all manner of things. My original post was two paragraphs, yet some of you have decided to focus on one short sentence that was exaggerated in the first place.

If you want to think of me as the guy that goes prowling around at night, stealing from one house and selling it to the next house, or as the guy that sells water as a miracle tonic, then that's your prerogative.

I have to wonder why someone who calls themselves an optimist would dismiss multiple acceptable takes on a situation and hold to the one unacceptable take.
eh your actions were morally suspect but 1000% legal. what's the point in justifying it with analogies?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

akastixx is keeping up the good workakastixx is keeping up the good work

oops dbl post

Last edited by akastixx; 02-20-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: PPC-6800 (Sprint Mogul)

bakntyme is keeping up the good workbakntyme is keeping up the good work

There was nothing wrong with the transaction itself the way it was described. There was a willing buyer and a motivated seller and no fraud was involved...the definition of a valid market-price transaction. The seller had no legal duty or moral obligation to inform the buyer that, in the seller's opinion, the buyer may not need the product.

My objection is to the OP coming here to gloat about obviously feeling that he had put one over on the buyer and asking us to join him in laughing at the buyer.

And the OP can continue to deny that this was his intent when he originally posted, but those denials are not credible.

Last edited by bakntyme; 02-20-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

dkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good workdkincaid is keeping up the good work

Maybe this person can't put a leaked ROM on their phone because it's a company phone? Maybe they need GPS now for whatever reason and can't wait until Sprint finally releases an update. Let's face it, we're phone nerds...we probably represent .001 percent of the population that has the Mogul....
Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Why must this light hearted conversation get beat like a dead dog? Ive made money off people and let other people charge me more cause I knew they needed it. Who cares? Its all about karma. It all works out in the wash....All this speculation I want in too.
Maybe the guy is a millionaire and likes getting a slightly shady deal on craigslist? Don't y'all feel bad now for thinking hes a noob? HAHA

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan