PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2
Carrier: Sprint

Gilliland is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just for the record, I've got 2.16 and 1.47, and I'm having no problems whatsoever with Bluetooth or lockups. I know that a lot of people are having trouble with that combination, but it seems to be working fine here. I've gone in and out of EVDO, 1X, Roaming, etc, with no problems. The phone sleeps, wakes, no problem. Bluetooth stays on, works correctly.

The only thing that I can suggest that might be different between my setup and anyone elses is that I did the soft reset before any of the Sprint extensions could be installed. So none of that junk is on my phone.

And I don't mean to imply that I have absolutely no problems. I have several pieces of software that simply won't run on my phone, foremost among them is Microsoft Live Search (which fails with a "Native Exception" whenever I try to start it). And I do occasionally (every few days) find myself in a situation where the phone seems to need a reboot, but that's happening at about the same frequency that it did under 2.09, so there's nothing new there.

But I'm having no trouble with the radio or bluetooth.

Last edited by Gilliland; 11-05-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvashi View Post
That is exactly my point. People are saying that its Radio 1.47 that is causing issues while I think otherwise. ANd believe me, I've tested many many combinations and the issue seems to be with 2.16 OS ROM and not the 1.47 Radio ROM.
Ok, there may have been some misunderstandings here, but the general theory behind the problems since the new ROM was released is this:

2.16 OS causes BT to sound better, however it has a tendency to disable bluetooth at random intervals. Also, some have reported that the D-pad does not work coming out of standby.

1.47 Radio (at least as packaged with the 2.16 ROM) causes problems when the phone is switching in/out of certain network conditions.

Someone may have mistakenly blamed the 1.47 Radio for the Bluetooth shut offs, but it seems that the Radio ROM has very little connection with Bluetooth performance.

I think the problem is that we are all looking at different problems thinking we're on the same page here.
My problem with the 2.16 update was the constant freezing when switching to roam on Verizon (which it does inside any building in my area). The BT shut-off was mildly annoying, but I found it more useable than 2.08, so I would be willing to live with it if my phone weren't frozen everytime I take it out.

You seem more concerned with BT stability.

Switching to a different Radio ROM (1.40) while using the 2.16 OS fixes my lockups issue, and 2.16 was fairly stable aside from BT mysteriously turning itself off. At least the device wasn't frozen!

Using the 1.47 Radio on any other ROM that I've tried also froze it (Alltel, the plethora of customs, etc...). Now, I'll admit that I didn't try it with 2.08, so its possible that whatever conflict existed in other OS versions didn't exist in 2.08... however, I don't really see what the point is in doing this.
I never tried it with 2.08 because, well, I didn't see any reason to. The new one had more problems than the old one, so why keep any of it at all? All the visible improvements (BT sound quality, alarms) were in the OS, not the radio.

As far as I know, 1.47 did NOT add any better signal (especially compared to 1.40, which was still negligible compared to the prior version if any at all), and had rumored battery benefits in fringe areas. However, you're taking a chance with radio code that DOES freeze on some configurations, so why bother for a possible "advantage" that you'll probably never notice?

I'm curious, has anyone found that the 1.47 works better with 2.08 than the original setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland
Just for the record, I've got 2.16 and 1.47, and I'm having no problems whatsoever with Bluetooth or lockups. I know that a lot of people are having trouble with that combination, but it seems to be working fine here. I've gone in and out of EVDO, 1X, Roaming, etc, with no problems. The phone sleeps, wakes, no problem. Bluetooth stays on, works correctly.

And I don't mean to imply that I have absolutely no problems. I have several pieces of software that simply won't run on my phone, foremost among them is Microsoft Live Search (which fails with a "Native Exception" whenever I try to start it). And I do occasionally (every few days) find myself in a situation where the phone seems to need a reboot, but that's happening at about the same frequency that it did under 2.09, so there's nothing new there.
That, my friend, sounds like a contradiction. You claim that You need to reboot with the same frequency as under 2.09?? That should have set off a red flag... you're not supposed to reboot so often!
There might be something wrong with your device because I hardly remembering having to reboot my stock mogul rom without reason (mucking around in the registry, etc). The new combination introduced new situations for it to freeze for most of us, and I am able to recreate it at will.

Do you live in an area with a strong verizon signal?
Try forcing your phone into roam-only, or if in a 1x area, force EVDO service only. You might have no problems because of geographic location... it seems to depend on what networks your phone is switching to, but forcing actions like this successfully simulated the problem on everyone's phone I tried.

I'm happy its working for you in your situation, though. I wonder if all the sprint techs live in an area like yours which would explain why they didn't anticipate this.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2

Gilliland is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
Do you live in an area with a strong verizon signal?
Try forcing your phone into roam-only, or if in a 1x area, force EVDO service only. You might have no problems because of geographic location... it seems to depend on what networks your phone is switching to, but forcing actions like this successfully simulated the problem on everyone's phone I tried.
I'm sure there's plenty of Verizon signal around my area, but I've never been a Verizon customer so I can't say for sure. If nothing else, I doubt that they have much signal here in my house - pretty much no one does except Sprint (and even that's pretty weak).

I drove across several states with my Mogul last weekend, and had no trouble with it. I switched through all kinds of coverage areas along the way, including plenty of roaming, plenty of 1X, and plenty of EVDO - and switching among them many times.

As for rebooting the phone occasionally, it's more a matter of convenience than necessity. Sometimes IE or some other app will tie up the phone pretty solidly. I can wait for it to time out, or I can reboot. Sometimes rebooting is the path of least resistance.

I find it hard to believe that you never reboot your phone, but perhaps you're just more patient than I am. <g> In any event, my point is that 2.16 is about as solid for me as 2.09 was - with the exception of the failure of a couple of apps.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

papped is a n00b
I have roughly the same experience. 2.16 does not lock up when switching to roaming or evdo/1x.

It does lock up often when changing Today items (relatively minor imo).

But the Mogul hangs or locks up independently of the 2.16 rom so often I soft reset on a regular basis anyways. Usually like stated above, a certain app or switching between apps hangs up the phone either 100% or close to it, making a soft reset the fastest choice, which really has nothing to do with the ROM (official WM6 roms that is, the WM5 rom seems to have a lot less of these hang ups).

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan