PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

sherv is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
Why does this have to be the case? Just because no one has yet put out a decent camera in a phone?
Well...it's kinda hard to miniaturize a solid lens into the body of a phone unless you spend a lot of time and money investing in the technology/ability to do so...and even then, is the money you're putting in to do so worth the marginal return on the phone? In recent memory I have rarely heard of people buying a phone because the camera is a top selling point...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Good point with the lens. I forgot/overlooked that it's not just the diameter, but also the focal length that plays in to picture quality!

HOWEVER, I truly believe in convergence, and anxiously await for the ultimate device that includes a decent camera
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

sherv is becoming a great contributor
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
HOWEVER, I truly believe in convergence, and anxiously await for the ultimate device that includes a decent camera

You and me both, bro!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

nFKT is becoming a great contributor
They've existed for years, just not in the states

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05...ng_schv770.asp for example

although I'm willing to bet its a much better camera than it is a phone. Essentially just a regular digicam with a keypad and radio.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Apache PPC-6700

BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
You need to chill dude.

First off, if a feature is advertised in a 500+ dollar device, it better work, and well. Period. I don't care if its the camera, the bluetooth, the memory management, the GPS (since the Mogul was advertised to have it), or Rev A. It all better work and it all better be high quality.

As far as CDMA and HTC goes... its an easy question to answer. They make more money off of GSM phones than CDMA. GSM devices can be sold sim-unlocked (at a much higher profit to HTC than they get from subsidy agreements) to use on most carriers in the world. CDMA devices on the other hand, have to be made for the TWO big CDMA carriers we have here in the US and can't really be sold elsewhere due to banding issues. Our CDMA wireless frequencies aren't compatible with most of the rest of the world. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand.

And Sprint isn't the worst. Nextel is, then T-Mobile is. If you really want to get technical about it, Cricket, MetroPCS, Helio (the Ocean is NOT a smartphone), Nextel, Alltel, T-Mobile, Suncom, and Sprint all suck. But out of that list, Sprint and Alltel would be the least crappy of the bunch and Verizon really isn't that far behind right now. Verizon is stepping up their game because Sprint has beat them to the punch for the first time in quite awhile and they're losing so many data customers to at&t's HSDPA.

Things aren't really as bad as your nasty temper is blowing them up to be.

As far as the OT goes... well, I would buy it if I found the keyboard manageable, the price was right, and it had a much newer AKU of WM6, without any of the problems the Mogul has, AND it had at least 128MB of RAM.

No sprint is the worst besides nextel for ppc's. i don't know about alltel or suncom and really don't care about them as they are not in my area at all. T mobile has released a few new smartphones and ppc's that i like better then the mogul. plus any AT&T device you can use on tmobile so its like havening two carriers to buy your phone from in a way. My nasty temper that was funny. i have a temper as i don't see why we just cant get a good up to date working device.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:24 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
Keep in mind T-Mobile has no 3g network for data. You are stuck at EVDO speeds. When they roll their high speed network out, its going to be on a different frequency than any other US GSM provider so you will have to buy a T-Mobile phone to use their high speed network.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Apache PPC-6700

BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroths View Post
Keep in mind T-Mobile has no 3g network for data. You are stuck at EVDO speeds. When they roll their high speed network out, its going to be on a different frequency than any other US GSM provider so you will have to buy a T-Mobile phone to use their high speed network.
no your stuck ad EDGE speeds big difference.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:40 AM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGMatTFRomJeRSeY View Post
No sprint is the worst besides nextel for ppc's. i don't know about alltel or suncom and really don't care about them as they are not in my area at all. T mobile has released a few new smartphones and ppc's that i like better then the mogul. plus any AT&T device you can use on tmobile so its like havening two carriers to buy your phone from in a way. My nasty temper that was funny. i have a temper as i don't see why we just cant get a good up to date working device.
Ummm... The Wing is a good PPC? Yeah... since a 200MHz OMAP comes close to even half the speed of a 416MHz PXA270...... Those things lag really bad. I've played with them in person. No contest between my Mogul and the Wing. It was worse of an "upgrade" for the MDA than the Mogul was to the 6700. They didn't even get 256MB of ROM!

The only thing that T-Mo has that sets them apart from Sprint right now in the smartphone game is the stupid Dash (I had one for 3 days. It was a huge piece of crap and went right back to the store, which is when I bought my 6700 with Sprint and ditched T-Mo for good) and the Pearl. The Pearl, Sprint will be getting, and with EVDO. So once again, T-Mo loses.

Put simply, you're flat-out wrong. I'm not going to start a flame war though. I'd advise you do some research before you spout things you know very little about.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 AM
N00b

zelet is a n00b
I'm gonna get flamed... but the reason why all the PPC phones suck is because they all run WM. I'm not saying there is anything better out there now - but if Apple opens up the iPhone to run 3rd party applications its going to be a great device and truly hard for anybody to beat*.

What has to happen for a good PPC device is Microsoft has to make their own hardware like they did with the Zune. Oh, and they also have to learn how to make decent interfaces. Vista and WM have horrible UIs from a usability perspective.**

What's really interesting is that MS is cutting edge when it comes to usability research and UI design but none of it makes it into their products. I think the reason for that is - the business/marketing people make the decisions not the engineers. Where at Apple the people calling the final shots are UI folks and engineers not business/marketing drones.

*Yes, a hardware keyboard would be nice but the iPhone was designed from the beginning to be a touch device. And people don't seem to be having a problem with the HTC Touch not having a keyboard when we all know WM wasn't/isn't designed to be used with a fingertip. On top of that - how many programs in WM don't shrink up when the on-screen keyboard pops up?

**Vista is another thing all together. Who ever was responsible for the 2 paragraphs of text next to every setting, explaining what that setting does, has a fundamental misunderstanding of UI design and should be fired.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx
Carrier: Verizon

instrmntuvdeth is a n00b
The treo 800w looks like a good phone. The problem with it will be that It will still be a Sprint phone and therefore you will still have the same shitty (read non-existent) tech support. The folks at Palm could concoct the best thing since sliced bread but given that that people at Sprint suffer from Rectal/Cranial inversion it won't matter.

I'd be interested in this phone if it were with some other carrier than Sprint.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan