PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 2.2 May Not Come Till December

Quote:
Originally Posted by edufur View Post
Dead-on!! Nor will they even want to. And I'm sorry, but WinMo was only good in the RARE event that I got my hands on a custom rom that had minimal lock-ups! The fact was, that WinMo NEVER worked will with my exchange push services. Lockups were quite frequent so long as I was using that. I used to be an MS fanboy, but sorry... no longer. They had my dedication for far too long. The ONLY reason they had it is because I refused to be imprisoned by iPhone.

Android is the only phone I have owned that has made my iPhone friends consider switching... that is saying a lot.

Iphone users know they have WM beat. When they ask what kind of phone you have if your say basically an Android device they shut up pretty quick. If you say windows mobile its like a slaughter.

I'm a MS fanboy but I just don't know what the hell they are thinking. They have basically killed WM and will have to start over completely. Maybe thats the idea..

Am I off topic better check sorry..

Droidrox39
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Gingerbread on the EVO, are you guys kidding me? Knowing Sprint's past I seriously doubt they will bother spending any resources on the EVO past Froyo or beyond a 2.x release. By the time Gingerbread is released the phone will be pushing 7 months old at least, and that's if Gingerbread doesn't have any setbacks. Another 6 months for HTC to work out the bugs in Sense and now we're out past a year, not too many phones I've seen on Sprint that gets updates over a year into release.

XDA on the other hand will probably have Gingerbread ported a week or two after release but I wouldn't hold my breath with Sprint for this to happen.

I was soooo hoping that the $10 a month fee might also cover TIMELY development on upgrades so that they can throw more of them at us faster, but that was probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Threadstarter

rooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
+1 No Doubt XDA will have it fully functional in probably a month or less. Maybe thats what HTC is waiting for. Let XDA do the work for them.
Psh, Im betting in about a week there will probably be a full functional port, except maybe for 4G, not sure about that one.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo

knarfl1 is becoming a great contributor

"If you think about it by the time WP7 arrives most people will be locked in to 2 year contracts. They wont be able to buy new devices. "

Uh, most people are locked into 2 year contracts almost all the time. Doesn't stop some from buying new phones.

As for the Evo, there's no reason to rush the 2.2 out. It's in HTC and Sprint's interest to hold out as long as possible. It's not about dev effort and priority despite what they say: It's purely a business decision. As long as Evo is selling well (it has and it will for a while), they are not going to release 2.2.

My money is 2.2 upgrade won't be deployed for Evo at all in spite of what Hesse and Lin said. They will spin it later and back paddle.

Enthusiasts will yell bloody murder for 2 minutes then install non-official 2.2 ROM or move on to another 2.2/3.0 device. Average Joe Evo owner will live ignorantly happy with 2.1 until their contract ends.

Sprint/HTC isn't unaware of this.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

rooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrooster94 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfl1 View Post
"If you think about it by the time WP7 arrives most people will be locked in to 2 year contracts. They wont be able to buy new devices. "

Uh, most people are locked into 2 year contracts almost all the time. Doesn't stop some from buying new phones.

As for the Evo, there's no reason to rush the 2.2 out. It's in HTC and Sprint's interest to hold out as long as possible. It's not about dev effort and priority despite what they say: It's purely a business decision. As long as Evo is selling well (it has and it will for a while), they are not going to release 2.2.

My money is 2.2 upgrade won't be deployed for Evo at all in spite of what Hesse and Lin said. They will spin it later and back paddle.

Enthusiasts will yell bloody murder for 2 minutes then install non-official 2.2 ROM or move on to another 2.2/3.0 device. Average Joe Evo owner will live ignorantly happy with 2.1 until their contract ends.

Sprint/HTC isn't unaware of this.
You know you make a good point. They could just let the Evo sell out like it is now and once all the excitement dies down BAM! release the 2.2 update that breathes new life into the device and its sales. Seems viable.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster94 View Post
You know you make a good point. They could just let the Evo sell out like it is now and once all the excitement dies down BAM! release the 2.2 update that breathes new life into the device and its sales. Seems viable.
But still what would be the point? By the time you let the excitement die down, there will already be more excitement over newer devices running gingerbread. So to continue to build that momentum they should release froyo as soon as possible because by the end of the year most of won't give a damn about the evo anyway since we will be waiting for the next best thing running gingerbread.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
But still what would be the point? By the time you let the excitement die down, there will already be more excitement over newer devices running gingerbread. So to continue to build that momentum they should release froyo as soon as possible because by the end of the year most of won't give a damn about the evo anyway since we will be waiting for the next best thing running gingerbread.
Well I wasn't thinking wait till December, thats just stupid. I was thinking more September timeframe. Unfortunately for us though thats probably when they actually will release it, not to restore excitement over the device but because they are just slow.
Its all good though, average user won't care and for the small percentage of us that do care there will be a completed port soon enough, everyone is happy.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch,Mogul,DiAMOND,Hero,EVO

davedamit is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy26 View Post
I don't think that I could ever go back to WM. Once you go Android you don't go back.
Amen Brother!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Meh, it'll come when it does. IF the cooks can figure out the camera issue, I'll flash using a custom ROM. Sprint would be a nice to have, but I'd rather have rooted and all the bloatware gone to boot.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy26
I don't think that I could ever go back to WM. Once you go Android you don't go back.
I don't know if I agree with this so much. While the OS is much more stable. I can't remember the last time I had to restart the device because something got at the core OS and killed it.

There is a LOT to be desired with Android:

A decent base of commercial applications that support business users. The phone was sold as a power device, yet, it has almost NO business-centric applications. That's a huge problem

A "marketplace" that is a joke. Google makes its money on search engine technology, yet the marketplace isn't searchable. WTF?

Can't install to SD card. Why has this taken until 2.2 to come out? That seems such an odd thing to not build in from the beginning. This is a classic example of developers and not UI folks being in charge of core development.

How many "pretty" girl applications do we need in the marketplace? For gods' sake, we can get rid of so many applications that are completely useless and instead make some that everyone KNOWS we need:

--PIM
--Decent unified email application
--Decent drawing application
--Decent Word processor

There's so much that the Android platform needs that if companies stepped up and started creating things for them, customers would use them.

Let's not even mention how the constant polling of useless Google services drains the battery life out of the devices.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G