PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

peepeesea is keeping up the good workpeepeesea is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone else think WiFi hotspot should be free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
Do you have HTC sync installed on the computer. I'm going to try this later at home since I have it already installed on my laptop.
http://community.sprint.com/baw/mess...p1jive1#179481

"HTC Sync needs to be installed on your laptop/whatever you want to tether to first. Plug in your phone after installing Sync. When the "Connect to PC" list comes up, select HTC Sync then done. After your phone is recognized, go back into the "Connect to PC" list and change from HTC Sync to Internet Sharing. It will pick up the signal and tether, but beware it does take a few minutes. I tethered with both Wifi and 3g last night.

On a side note, it seemed odd but it appears you have to Sync first before sharing every time you start a fresh connection. I tried to share without syncing first and it didn't appear to work."

Those are some notes I found on it.
i have HTC sync installed... still error code 67, others report the same thing. i have a thread about it some where.

'function over fashion'
Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 4G
Threadstarter

BillJr106 is keeping up the good workBillJr106 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
i completely understand the logic behind the $30 fee. Your letting up to 8 people use your connection, which means potentially 8x the data transfer.

That is incorrect... your speed is only as fast as what is available to your phone... which means potentially you could just download 40 gb from a server with your phone... or you could wifi hotspot it and download 40gb from the internet... Why should it matter how we use our internet?

Imagine getting a cable internet connection for your home PC, but your cable provider wants to charge you an extra 20$ bucks if you want to online game with your XBOX with it. It shouldnt matter HOW you use what they are saying is included. Unlimited data is data downloaded to your phone, how can they charge you more just because your phone then passed it on to your PC / laptop?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJr106 View Post
That is incorrect... your speed is only as fast as what is available to your phone... which means potentially you could just download 40 gb from a server with your phone... or you could wifi hotspot it and download 40gb from the internet... Why should it matter how we use our internet?

Imagine getting a cable internet connection for your home PC, but your cable provider wants to charge you an extra 20$ bucks if you want to online game with your XBOX with it. It shouldnt matter HOW you use what they are saying is included. Unlimited data is data downloaded to your phone, how can they charge you more just because your phone then passed it on to your PC / laptop?
this should be painfully obvious this is not the samething. you're comparing a connection that is mobile to one that has to be used in a certain area. Also your example is wrong because comcast and time warner both sell data cards and charge more if you want the wifi option.
Google is the next skynet
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G On The Now Network From Sprint

rydah805 is keeping up the good workrydah805 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

it should be free as we pay for service. or atleast have a cap on it. i thought it was free this whole time. nothing or anyone told me anything about paying. =/
im rooted. so i read that its free after root.???
Radio: 2.05.00.06.10

Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

srtpusher is becoming a great contributor

i LOL @ this thread. i want all the channels directv has, but i only want to pay for basic service. i mean, why should i have to pay at all? the signal is already there.

if we are not careful (i think it is going to happen anyway), providers are going to give you exactly what people are asking for. people want to use as much data as they want and not pay for it. the reaction will be bucket data and bucket minutes. time warner had talked about it for roadrunner, at&t pulled the trigger for cell phones, verizon has stated on LTE, we will pay for the data that we use, and sprint alluded to this also. i can walk into a movie theater and let my friends into a movie through the back door. why should they pay? the movie is already playing and those seats would be empty otherwise.

this type of convoluted thinking that causes companies to either go bankrupt, or gouge existing, loyal customers. but then again, our society has become locusts and leeches and will screw a company and expect everything for nothing and then complain when the host is dead...

simply put, it comes down to whether you think the service has value and is worth paying for. obviously it has value, but some people are just too cheap to pay for it. if people would just pay for things rather than try to get one over on everyone, the world would have less problems.
/end rant
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtpusher View Post
i LOL @ this thread. i want all the channels directv has, but i only want to pay for basic service. i mean, why should i have to pay at all? the signal is already there.

if we are not careful (i think it is going to happen anyway), providers are going to give you exactly what people are asking for. people want to use as much data as they want and not pay for it. the reaction will be bucket data and bucket minutes. time warner had talked about it for roadrunner, at&t pulled the trigger for cell phones, verizon has stated on LTE, we will pay for the data that we use, and sprint alluded to this also. i can walk into a movie theater and let my friends into a movie through the back door. why should they pay? the movie is already playing and those seats would be empty otherwise.

this type of convoluted thinking that causes companies to either go bankrupt, or gouge existing, loyal customers. but then again, our society has become locusts and leeches and will screw a company and expect everything for nothing and then complain when the host is dead...

simply put, it comes down to whether you think the service has value and is worth paying for. obviously it has value, but some people are just too cheap to pay for it. if people would just pay for things rather than try to get one over on everyone, the world would have less problems.
/end rant
This is not a fair comparison. If one were to circumvent the blocked (unpaid) channels on directv, they would be in violation of criminal law. If the same were true for free tethering, it would not be legal for 3rd party software to be sold on the market place that does EXACTLY that. So, apples and oranges.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

I personally think the $30 is a fair price to pay to be able to share your 3G/4G on your Evo. If you were to buy any other mobile broadband Item from Sprint (Overdrive, USB 4G card) you will be paying a minimum of $60 a month for the service. With the Evo you would be paying $10 for the 4G on the phone, and $30 for the 8 device Mobile Hotspot which = out to $40...$20 savings there. Depending of what kind of discount you get...(I have 27%) would bring that down to $29.20...that's not a bad deal. I know there are ways around having to pay for that...but just think...your in a 4G area...you have friends that wish they could get on the internet with their phone...or your on a trip driving down the road and you wife or gf want to get on the internet...wham you have wireless internet for them..

Either way...It's still a better deal than any other cell carrier out there...heck...Verizon is capped...AT&T is capped...T-Mobile I have not clue...but Sprint isn't...so take it while you can....
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul to tp2
Carrier: sprint sero 500

swoope is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepeesea View Post
i have HTC sync installed... still error code 67, others report the same thing. i have a thread about it some where.
free or easy.. pick one..

easy has been mentioned. free has been rubbed in your face.. wifirouter tends to work well. not sure if they have evo covered yet.. but it is not free, but it is very easy..

as you dont be willing to try to learn, google wifirouter..

beers
Old 07-01-2010, 03:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
I personally think the $30 is a fair price to pay to be able to share your 3G/4G on your Evo. If you were to buy any other mobile broadband Item from Sprint (Overdrive, USB 4G card) you will be paying a minimum of $60 a month for the service. With the Evo you would be paying $10 for the 4G on the phone, and $30 for the 8 device Mobile Hotspot which = out to $40...$20 savings there. Depending of what kind of discount you get...(I have 27%) would bring that down to $29.20...that's not a bad deal. I know there are ways around having to pay for that...but just think...your in a 4G area...you have friends that wish they could get on the internet with their phone...or your on a trip driving down the road and you wife or gf want to get on the internet...wham you have wireless internet for them..

Either way...It's still a better deal than any other cell carrier out there...heck...Verizon is capped...AT&T is capped...T-Mobile I have not clue...but Sprint isn't...so take it while you can....
We already pay for unlimited data, and then a $10 premium fee on top of that. Who gets the data, from time to time, is not an issue, any more than letting someone else use your phone to make a phone call. Should we pay extra if we are going to let someone who doesn't have a cell phone use our cell phone to make a call?
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Re: Anyone else think WiFi hotspot should be free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
We already pay for unlimited data, and then a $10 premium fee on top of that. Who gets the data, from time to time, is not an issue, any more than letting someone else use your phone to make a phone call. Should we pay extra if we are going to let someone who doesn't have a cell phone use our cell phone to make a call?
Well obviously not, if someone uses my evo to get on the web the aren't charged either, lol. If someone is actually on their Verizon phone but some how tethered to my sprint service and making calls, yes they should be charged. Why is it so hard for people to realize sprint charges one price, if they incorporated tethering into the web price, it would be more then what we pay.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G