PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

peepeesea is keeping up the good workpeepeesea is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Anyone else think WiFi hotspot should be free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
you dont HAVE to install pdanet
right but you do HAVE to be rooted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
Yeah I thought HTC Sync Manager handled this with the Evo's built in software.
nope...

'function over fashion'
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Geez, there are threads all over this forum about this. Just run enrevoked, which is as easy as installing an app, and run the wifi tether from XDA. Works on my laptop, my NetFlix Roku box, other folks have those game things working on it, it's a piece of cake, folks. SEARCH, READ, etc.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Newsie and More
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Ticklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Geez, there are threads all over this forum about this. Just run enrevoked, which is as easy as installing an app, and run the wifi tether from XDA. Works on my laptop, my NetFlix Roku box, other folks have those game things working on it, it's a piece of cake, folks. SEARCH, READ, etc.
yep for all the scaredy cats that don't wanna fully root......KIDDING lol
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepeesea View Post
right but you do HAVE to be rooted

nope...
You know we were talking about tethering via usb and not wifi router (ok well I'm assuming Boo Boo was, but maybe I should just speak for myself). You don't need to be rooted for PDA net, and it will allow internet over your usb cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
Wifi Tether is also available via the market now.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
You know we were talking about tethering via usb and not wifi router (ok well I'm assuming Boo Boo was, but maybe I should just speak for myself). You don't need to be rooted for PDA net, and it will allow internet over your usb cable.
have you actually tethered via USB ?
I have and it is not possible unless you install PDAnet or you pay the $30

Error code 67

Everytime
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Almost a VIP

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Quote:
have you actually tethered via USB ?
I have and it is not possible unless you install PDAnet or you pay the $30

Error code 67

Everytime
I haven't but heard of people pulling it off with pdanet without root.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
I haven't but heard of people pulling it off with pdanet without root.
yes i agree, it can be done with PDAnet... i'm saying it should be able to be done with out PDAnet or paying the $30

when you plug it in to a computer it asks if you want to share internet... i should be able to select that and connect to the internet with no further configuration as can be done in WinMo with my touch pro
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
yes i agree, it can be done with PDAnet... i'm saying it should be able to be done with out PDAnet or paying the $30

when you plug it in to a computer it asks if you want to share internet... i should be able to select that and connect to the internet with no further configuration as can be done in WinMo with my touch pro
Do you have HTC sync installed on the computer. I'm going to try this later at home since I have it already installed on my laptop.
http://community.sprint.com/baw/mess...p1jive1#179481

"HTC Sync needs to be installed on your laptop/whatever you want to tether to first. Plug in your phone after installing Sync. When the "Connect to PC" list comes up, select HTC Sync then done. After your phone is recognized, go back into the "Connect to PC" list and change from HTC Sync to Internet Sharing. It will pick up the signal and tether, but beware it does take a few minutes. I tethered with both Wifi and 3g last night.

On a side note, it seemed odd but it appears you have to Sync first before sharing every time you start a fresh connection. I tried to share without syncing first and it didn't appear to work."

Those are some notes I found on it.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO

edufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good workedufur is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
i completely understand the logic behind the $30 fee. Your letting up to 8 people use your connection, which means potentially 8x the data transfer.
This is actually not accurate. 8x users divides your bandwidth across all 8 evenly. In other words, if each user was running a download at the same time, it would be 8 times slower for each person vs. the speed just one would experience. You do not get 8x the speed. In reality, each user processes a web request and staggered moments and the perception of bandwidth reduction is not there. But.... you still have a maximum cosumption rate that applies whether you are 1 user or 8 users.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edufur View Post
This is actually not accurate. 8x users divides your bandwidth across all 8 evenly. In other words, if each user was running a download at the same time, it would be 8 times slower for each person vs. the speed just one would experience. You do not get 8x the speed. In reality, each user processes a web request and staggered moments and the perception of bandwidth reduction is not there. But.... you still have a maximum cosumption rate that applies whether you are 1 user or 8 users.
I think the logic is that 8 people would use more than one over time. Yes no single user is using 100% of their bandwidth 100% of the time, but when you involve 8 devices now they are more likely to cap out that bandwidth over a longer period of time.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G