PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint PCS

toddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Attachements Not Attaching When Replying to Exchange Emails

I just realized tonight that if I reply to an exchange email and try to add word document I have stored on my SD Card, the attachment does not stay attached for the recipient of the reply to see. The attachment is not there at all. I tested this out twice with the original person I was emailing with and I tested it out by emailing myself and replying. Same result. No attachment was sent on the reply email, although it was attached in my email on the phone that I was replying to. I did try multiple documents.

I also tried attaching pictures and an excel spreadsheet with no luck.

Just for grins, I tried the same thing with my Yahoo account from my phone, and the attachment was in fact sent with the reply.

Seems this issue might only be with Exchange.

Anyone else expirencing this?

Hitting Thanks (to the right) helps build reputation. Hit it, if I did it!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Re: Attachements Not Attaching When Replying to Exchange Emails

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
I just realized tonight that if I reply to an exchange email and try to add word document I have stored on my SD Card, the attachment does not stay attached for the recipient of the reply to see. The attachment is not there at all....

Seems this issue might only be with Exchange.

Anyone else expirencing this?
OK, here's what I did...

1. Send an email with an attachment on the SD card in the EVO from my Exchange account to my Windows Live address... was received in Hotmail with the attachment. I replied to the email, excluding the attachment.

2. Received the reply on the EVO, clicked Reply. Attached a new picture on my SD card to the reply and clicked send... it was also received properly.

So bottom line, I do not have this issue and can't reproduce it. Perhaps something in between is stripping the attachment for security/spam reasons?
Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

toddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stuff

I appreciate you taking the time to test this out.

The problem only occurs for me if I am replying to an email that I have received directly to my Exchange Account.

What you did and the way I am doing it are pretty close.

The only thing I did was start off with an email to myself in Exchange, from my Yahoo account.

When I reply to that email with an attachment I do not receive it.

I can send that same document from my companies Webmail Internet Based Outlook program and receive it with no problem.

I can also send attachments directly from Outlook when using a new email, but when I reply, the attachments do not attach.

Weird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
OK, here's what I did...

1. Send an email with an attachment on the SD card in the EVO from my Exchange account to my Windows Live address... was received in Hotmail with the attachment. I replied to the email, excluding the attachment.

2. Received the reply on the EVO, clicked Reply. Attached a new picture on my SD card to the reply and clicked send... it was also received properly.

So bottom line, I do not have this issue and can't reproduce it. Perhaps something in between is stripping the attachment for security/spam reasons?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Bringer of Good Things

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level

I just tried again and don't have that issue.

Are you able to send an original message with attachment and/or forward a message with an attachment successfully? In other words, is it only this condition that fails?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I can create new Exchange emails and attach with no problem. I can forward emails in Exchange with attachments and have no problem.

Only a problem when I use Exchange to reply to an email with an attachment.

My Yahoo email account does not have this problem at all.

I am contemplating deleting my Exchange account and creating it again.

Quote:
I just tried again and don't have that issue.

Are you able to send an original message with attachment and/or forward a message with an attachment successfully? In other words, is it only this condition that fails?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380
Carrier: Project Fi

marctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

OFF TOPIC

hey GT2L! you have an evo i see and ditched the TP2? the folks at the cleanup thread miss you...

OK ON TOPIC..

i use Exchange. i sent an email w/attachment to my yahoo addy. reply back with no attachment. exchange got email. i then added a word document to that reply mail and sent it BACK to yahoo. yahoo shows there is an attachment, but i didnt see it in the mail. i had the paper clip to show there is an attachment in the message list but didnt see any attachment.

so i did the same thing with gmail and saw the attachment. so i am able to send an attachment (photo AND word doc) to and from and it shows up. yahoo perhaps didnt like the word attachment for some reason.

i did do this test with a photo and yahoo saw that photo and it was there... so maybe something triggers the filter on yahoo?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Looks like my problem goes away after I turn off my Exchange account setting for reply with original text. Somehow having that setting on for the exchange account, prevents attachments from actually attaching when replying to Exchange emails.

Quote:
OK, here's what I did...

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Bringer of Good Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
Looks like my problem goes away after I turn off my Exchange account setting for reply with original text. Somehow having that setting on for the exchange account, prevents attachments from actually attaching when replying to Exchange emails.
Interesting. Definitely not the behavior I see from my Windows Live account, but curious nevertheless. At least there's a workaround for it, but this is definitely something to test further and submit to HTC for future resolution. Gonna see if I can duplicate it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
hey GT2L! you have an evo i see and ditched the TP2? the folks at the cleanup thread miss you...
Not really ditched my TP2... still gonna keep it around for some international travel I gotta do (very disappointed the EVO isn't a worldphone! Not really 100% sold on the EVO yet either... hardware is great, but still not sold on the whole Android thing yet. First phone I've really felt I needed to "unlock" to get it running the way I like which is disappointing.

Anyway, have been MIA around here until this past weekend because of work... real world has me running crazy these past few months playing with Cisco phones instead of cell phones, lol. I just came back on here this weekend to get some info on the battery life issues of the EVO... think I got it pretty stable for my use now, lol.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: T7380
Carrier: Project Fi

marctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarctronixx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

well its good your back nonetheless! i have been with android since the hero last october so i have it pretty figured out. i still have the pro2 but i have not used it since june 4th.. maybe a call or two and i BT'ed a cab from the sd card to my laptop but thats really it... the evo is all i need...

to the OP, thats strange. i use exchange daily and dont have any issues with attachments. clearly there is an issue/bug somewhere.. may be worth the time to send HTC an email on it...
Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

So marctronixx, your saying that from your Exchange account on your phone and (Very Important) with Reply With Original Text) checkmarked under your exchange account settings, your saying you can reply to an Exchange email, add an attachment and have that attachment be attached to that email and be received by the person you replied to? Whether that is yourself or not is irrelivent.

When replying to an email from exchange that came from Yahoo, the attachment shows on the email in Yahoo, but there is nothing actualyl there. I highly doubt Yahoo is stripping anything because when doing this testing Exchange to Exchange, there is actually nothing showing at all as far as the attachment is concerned.

As stated before, I can send a brand new email and attach fine, and I can uncheck the Reply with original text and have the attachment flow across fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
well its good your back nonetheless! i have been with android since the hero last october so i have it pretty figured out. i still have the pro2 but i have not used it since june 4th.. maybe a call or two and i BT'ed a cab from the sd card to my laptop but thats really it... the evo is all i need...

to the OP, thats strange. i use exchange daily and dont have any issues with attachments. clearly there is an issue/bug somewhere.. may be worth the time to send HTC an email on it...

Last edited by toddpedersen; 06-21-2010 at 05:25 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G