PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post
Ok, I was able to dl from your link (Thanks!!) Now I tried whitslack's method and it wouldnt work for me either.

Ok Im on 1.32.651.1 now...I was rooted last night (at least pt 1, not sure about pt 2...HBOOT said I had 76.2000 but something still was wrong) before I began attempting the whitslacks method. Im almost positive Im not rooted at all anymore, or if I am, something seems to be "broken" within the phone...did I brick it?? I hope not! Now it says I'm back to the 79.000

So my goal is to have fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 with up to date radios, wimax, etc. Where should I start considering where Im at now?
First off, you didn't brick the phone. Brick refers to a phone that is just as useful as a brick. In other words, it doesn't bootup, you can't make calls, it's basically a paperweight. You're definitely not there.

Based on were you are and what you're trying to do, I would -
Download OMJ1.6r
Download whitslaks files
Put them on your sdcard
Do a backup - Section 4 - Manual Nand Backup/Restore
Then, while still in the recovery screen, go to Section 2 and follow
2N - 2R
2N) From the list, use "Volume DOWN" to highlight "Wipe" and "Power" button to select it.

2O) In the Wipe menu you're going to use the "Volume DOWN" to highlight "Wipe data/factory reset" and "Power" button to select it, then "Power" button again to confirm. Once it's done, repeat this step so you "Wipe data/factory reset" twice.

2P) Use the "Volume DOWN" to highlight "Wipe Dalvik-cache" and "Power" button to select it, then "Power" button again to confirm. Once it's done, repeat this step so you "Wipe Dalvik-cache" twice.

Now push "Power" button to return to the previous menu.

2Q) Use the "Volume DOWN" to highlight "Flash zip from sdcard" and "Power" button to select it.
At this point every zip file on the root of your sdcard will show. Make sure you know which one you want to flash.

2R) Use the "Volume DOWN" to highlight your rom or radio file and "Power" button to select it, then "Power" button again to confirm. Sit back and wait.

After OMJ's rom is installed, follow whitslak's method for using his 2 files.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Wow! I did that straight through in 45 mins, then flashed Sprint Lover's ROM. I would have bet money this was going to take me hours to do.

Last edited by parousia15; 07-09-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

parousia15 is keeping up the good workparousia15 is keeping up the good work
Re: Root new OTA with 4 clicks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipidfats View Post
is there any difference between this and the other root method for the ota?
I think simple root is suppose to be the easier version of flash vulnerability method. However, after reading the simple root forums, I noticed a lot people having problems completing it. I opted for the FastRX's step-by-step method and it only took 45 minutes with no issues.

I can't believe I was so afraid of rooting.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Ok, Im going to flash back to that ^^^ and then I guess Ill have to do toasts pt1 & pt2. If I succeed, I want to flash to stock 1.47.651.1 with full root...but after all the drama of last night...Im afraid and may just stay with the shipped rom to avaid any more headaches.
Not quite, if you gain root you really need to flash SOME type of rooted ROM. Gaining root and staying on the shipped ROM will most likely cause more headaches.
If you can follow Fast's post above mine then do that. If you really need to start from scratch do that, his post will make sense when you get to those steps.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

AYSIANA is keeping up the good workAYSIANA is keeping up the good work
Question Re: EVO Full Root No PC or ADB|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
If you miss your window, then it will just sit at the "part 2 is scanning" for a long time and your phone will go to the home screen.
Just power off the phone, and start again from this step. Remember to enter the code over and over while the phone is booting up.

If it works, you'll initially get a message that says "part 2 is scanning" then after a short time (mine took about 15secs) you'll get a message that looks similar to this
Code:
/app-cache/com.android.browser/BEC48C17295CAF9F550BCD500A0A6F03/.foo.PWsZ8k
crw-rw-rw- root     root      90,   2 2010-07-05 19:37 mtd1
The first time I did it , I got the message above ^^^ as if it went fine but then after that, somehow it started saying "part 2 is scanning" again and ended up getting stuck. I powered the phone off and back on and attempted to do the ^+enter ket again and it keeps getting stuck at that part every time.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Unhappy Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Not quite, if you gain root you really need to flash SOME type of rooted ROM. Gaining root and staying on the shipped ROM will most likely cause more headaches.
If you can follow Fast's post above mine then do that. If you really need to start from scratch do that, his post will make sense when you get to those steps.
Youre right. Now if I could just get out of this loop Im stuck in. I cant thanks to this loop Im stuck in, I cant even revert to the stock shipped version anymore. It keeps telling me error 104 bootloader error
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
The first time I did it , I got the message above ^^^ as if it went fine but then after that, somehow it started saying "part 2 is scanning" again and ended up getting stuck. I powered the phone off and back on and attempted to do the ^+enter ket again and it keeps getting stuck at that part every time.
Quote:
Youre right. Now if I could just get out of this loop Im stuck in. I cant thanks to this loop Im stuck in, I cant even revert to the stock shipped version anymore. It keeps telling me error 104 bootloader error
Well first off you're using the wrong tutorial. Those steps you listed in your first quote are from the root process if you are on the latest OTA software starting with 1.47 and if I remember correctly you said you were not on that software.

Are you getting the 104 Bootloader error when you try to run the RUU for the shipped stock ROM?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root No PC or ADB|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vi

Quote:
It's fine. If you got the message once, you're ok.
The reason it started again was because when you were trying to enter it, you entered it too many times. It worked the 1st time, then it tried to run again because you kept hitting Up arrow and enter.
As long as you got the right response once, you're ok.

But, like winmo said, those steps are for someone who is on the 1.47 OTA and trying to root.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Well first off you're using the wrong tutorial. Those steps you listed in your first quote are from the root process if you are on the latest OTA software starting with 1.47 and if I remember correctly you said you were not on that software.

Are you getting the 104 Bootloader error when you try to run the RUU for the shipped stock ROM?
Well I succesfully flashed back to the original shipped unrooted rom...& I did the OTA 1.47 before doing the OTA 1.47 Full Root method. Thats when I got stuck in the "part 2 scanning loop"...now it wont let me flash back to the original shipped unrooted rom, keeps giving me an "Error 140 Bootloader Version Error". I also tried to go to menu> settings> privacy> factory data reset> reset phone> erase everything....and its still not reverting to the shipped rom.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Well I succesfully flashed back to the original shipped unrooted rom...& I did the OTA 1.47 before doing the OTA 1.47 Full Root method. Thats when I got stuck in the "part 2 scanning loop"...now it wont let me flash back to the original shipped unrooted rom, keeps giving me an "Error 140 Bootloader Version Error". I also tried to go to menu> settings> privacy> factory data reset> reset phone> erase everything....and its still not reverting to the shipped rom.
Well that changes things a bit
Look at the post above yours. It looks like you were fine.
Even if you got an error with the root process there's no reason to try to go all the way back to the beginning.
As your finding out the 1.47 software messes with the older RUU's anyway.

Since you did a wipe my guess is that you'd just have to restart the 1.47 root process.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos