PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I have a couple questions...

1: So you just followed the instructions in the first post of this thread to root, and then for the "Unlocking NAND Protection" you followd the instructions in that link? Or did you root using that link too (the part 1 or whatever)?

2: If I am rooted and running a custom ROM right now, and I follow the instructions in that link to "Unlocking NAND Protection" will that wipe all my settings and stuff?
They are the SAME instructions, follow whatever one reads better for you...
watch Fast's video too-this thread-Post #2.
Yes, it will wipe you out, which is why the first step is to run the Nand backup as outlined in the steps. It will make an exact COPY of your current ROM so when you are fully rooted you can restore right back to the way you left it.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Okay, so I redownloaded all the files and kept them seperate form the original files of the same name. I noticed the sizes are different so I assume this is required.

Now...

Step 1 is:
"1) Do a NAND Backup (Nandroid) as explained above before beginning this process. We will use this nandroid at the end of this tutorial to get you back where you were."

Assuming I am already running a customrROM and not coming from the last step in rooting, how do I go about doing a NAND backup? Step 1 of the NAND backup tutorial is "1) Use the "Volume DOWN" to highlight "Backup/Restore" push the "Power" button to select it."

I held the volume while booting, and it took me to a menu that does not have a "Backup/Restore" option. Do I need to put the original (which I renamed) PC36IMG file that I used to root the phone or should I be using the new one downloaded during the NAND unlocking tutorial?

I guess the step 1 saying to do a NAND backup isn't getting me going here. I have no idea how to do a NAND backup. The steps in the tutorial seem to be only for doing it when you root the device. But my device is already rooted and running a custom ROM, so I have no idea how to get to step 1 of doing the NAND backup unless I root the device again and start at the very beginning.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 06-20-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Okay, I figured it out. In short, I needed to start at the Manual Recovery and continue on from there. I guess you can't do the NAND backup without doing a manual recovery.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6850 Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

rugalfury is a n00b

I would like to find out if im fully rooted how can I tell?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Okay, now when I copy and paste "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image chmod 755 /data/flash_image /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img" into the box that pops up (step 3 of unlocking NAND) I get:
"chmod: No such file or directory
755: No such file or directory"

I am in the USB debugging mode and the device can't find HTC Sync on the computer. Should I disable the USB debugging mode and make sure I can sync with HTC Sync first? I am only hesistant to do that because I don't know how to enable USB debugging mode if I need it again...
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugalfury View Post
I would like to find out if im fully rooted how can I tell?
There are a few ways but try this:
Power off your phone and make sure it's not plugged into your USB.
Hold Vol Down and power on to boot into hboot.
From that menu select Recovery.
If you are fully rooted your phone will boot into Recovery and you'll see your menu options.
If you are not it will stop at the black screen with the red triangle and wait for you to plug in your usb and run the recovery batch file to boot into recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Okay, now when I copy and paste "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image chmod 755 /data/flash_image /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img" into the box that pops up (step 3 of unlocking NAND) I get:
"chmod: No such file or directory
755: No such file or directory"

I am in the USB debugging mode and the device can't find HTC Sync on the computer. Should I disable the USB debugging mode and make sure I can sync with HTC Sync first? I am only hesistant to do that because I don't know how to enable USB debugging mode if I need it again...
HTC Sync does not need to run. Put your phone on Charge Only. Leave USB Debugging enabled.
Those commands need to be run one line at a time. You cant paste them all in together.

EDIT: btw USB Debugging=Menu/Settings/Applications/Development

EDIT: At @ 3:50 of Fast's video (wink, wink) you see him type out the adb commands one line at a time

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-20-2010 at 05:52 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
HTC Sync does not need to run. Put your phone on Charge Only. Leave USB Debugging enabled.
Those commands need to be run one line at a time. You cant paste them all in together.

EDIT: btw USB Debugging=Menu/Settings/Applications/Development

EDIT: At @ 3:50 of Fast's video (wink, wink) you see him type out the adb commands one line at a time
Sweet got it. The one line at a time thing was what was killing me. I guess I should have watched the videos before I tried, lol.

Thanks all, I think it worked.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6850 Touch Pro

rugalfury is a n00b

[QUOTE=winmonewbie;1826431]There are a few ways but try this:
Power off your phone and make sure it's not plugged into your USB.
Hold Vol Down and power on to boot into hboot.
From that menu select Recovery.
If you are fully rooted your phone will boot into Recovery and you'll see your menu options.
If you are not it will stop at the black screen with the red triangle and wait for you to plug in your usb and run the recovery batch file to boot into recovery.

Thanks sir, looks like im good cause i can see the clockwork menu and stuff.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugalfury View Post
Thanks sir, looks like im good cause i can see the clockwork menu and stuff.
@ rugal and salty-
Glad you boys got, awesome!!

Just to be clear-rugal-you called it "Clockwork menu" but THAT is what you see when you boot into Recovery via ROM Manager. I'm sure your fine but just to be crystal:
When fully rooted and following the steps I outlined to boot into Recovery this is what you should see: (SEE EDIT AT BOTTOM OF POST)

This is Clockwork Recovery. Booted into via ROM Manager without powering off the phone. They are functionally almost identical (I dont think Clockwork wipes Dalvic cache-could be wrong).

6/22/10*****************EDIT***************** As of Clockwork 2.0.1.x it appears that even the Manual Recovery steps will get you the Clockwork Recovery. The screen you see does not matter. If you can manually boot into Recovery then you are fully rooted.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-22-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro, htc hero, htc evo

93mustang is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to 93mustang Send a message via Yahoo to 93mustang

Im stuck doin the nand unlock. After I reboot it will find the image and run the first scan but then it will give an error about the file being older. I've tried several times and even downloaded the file again and renamed it. Can someone tell me what I'm doin wrong please

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos