PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Putting In Work is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

So happy... I rooted my Evo and I'm like a the dumbest of dumb when it comes to this stuff lol...

I just learned a couple of months ago how to download music and finally extract a .rar file lol...

I wasn't sure if I was fully rooted or not so I went into the marketplace and installed Quick Boot and it took me to the recovery page and had menu options so I figured from what it said on the first page that I should have full root access now.

But, I went into the manage applications part and it won't allow me to delete or uninstall the programs that came with the phone like I thought full root access would.

I mean I want to delete stuff I will never use like that Blockbuster app, and that Nova game thing.

I will try to root my girl's phone tomorrow, but she's hesitant about doing so because it will void her warranty... oh well her loss... maybe.

It's late and I have to wake up for work tomorrow so I'll look into custom Rom's and all that other stuff in the up coming days.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo/Palm Pre

jbryson16 is a n00b
Re: EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | Wipe

hello everybody, first thing just wanted to thank everybody that puts thier time and effort into things like this with the free sharing of information. you people opened up a whole new world for me in a techie sense and for that i am extremely greatful. Im still pretty new at all this so with that being said i have a couple delimma's im hoping to get some help with. I bought my evo the day it came out and rooted it like 2 days later soon max from htc evo hacks .com put out the official video on how to do so with the toast method. I kinda fumbled through it considering i had never rooted anything or even used a command prompt on a pc or anything else. however i was triumphant in my endeaver(mostly because of the video). I never went on to unlock nand. i just started using rom manager and flashing roms mostly omj's. i just recently downloaded and flashed cyanogenmod6.1.2 and my phone started randomly rebooting. i ran fix permissions in rom manager but it didnt fix it. now all of a sudden my phone isnt recognizing my sd card/not mounting it so i cant flash another rom from the sd card obviously so im really not sure where to go from here. i was thinking maybe take the sd card out copy all the files to my computer that i want to save pictures etc then putting it back in my evo then unrooting it then wiping it clean then rerooting it. would that solve my problems? if not any suggestions? also my evo is flashed to a different carrier. would any of this interfere with that or not? PLEASE HELP!!! thank you for your time!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Re: just got my replacement EVO, now whats the SAFEST way to root and backup?

Make sure you have a condom on that phone and Wipe from back to front. That is all you need to know to for safe root.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

uscjunkie is just getting started
Rooting a brand new phone

I just got my EVO and read somewhere that new phones that came with Android version 2.2 can't be rooted. Is this true? I looked on the unrevoked page and it list the below baseband as being able to be rooted. Am I good to go?

Baseband version: 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel version: 2.6.32.17
Build 3.70.651.1
PRI Version: 1.90_003
PRL Version: 60674
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: Rooting a brand new phone

yes your good to go
just use unrevoked
make a nand backup after root

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

this is my paranoia talking but I read something about backing up something that can cause you to not be able to get 4G service if you ever lose them....can you explain that to me? I don't wanna screw this up because I didn't back something up that I should have. By the way I am a reader but there is so much info that I think I have confused myself! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

yeah your wanting to back-up your RSA keys for wimax so if you do something wrong and mess your keys up that you will always have a back-up of them, and like KarlE said it's good to do that right after you have rooted so that you have your keys in a safe place, I would advise doing that right away and not procrastinate because to my knowledge once they are gone you are screwed and won't be able to get 4G.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Is what you're talking about called the nand backup? You do that by holding down the volume key and hitting power right? Then select to do a backup? Where does it save the backup to? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

EDIT: Ok I did a backup using the ClockworkMod Recovery v2.6.0.1.....is that all I need to do?

Thanks

Last edited by uscjunkie; 02-01-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

cruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcruise350 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It saves it to a folder on your sd card.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Android Soldier
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: The Can You Hear Me Now Network

KIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the communityKIOWA69 is a trusted member of the community

I did a nand back-up and i also did a back-up with a program called rom manager that i got from the market, yes you can do the nand back-up from the hboot screen <power and volume down>, it saves those back-ups to your sd card, when you do the nandroid back-up from the hboot screen it will save to your sd card under a folder called nandroid, if you do one from the rom manager program it will save to a folder called clockworkmod.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos