PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Merged threads

CW

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Lost at rooting step!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboll View Post
when i first got the phone it came with the lates ota 1.47 i think then i try it to root it step by step but it didnt work! at the end the only thing that seem to work was a program called simple root which i did yesterday after the 4 steps were completed i checked the phone info and says as follow kenel version 2.6.29 etc then software number 1.32.651 so that makes me think i dont have ota anymore is it right? then i try to install andrid wifi tether and it all went thru didnt tell you phone its not rooted like the first time i did but when i start tether it said tether unavailable well then later looking around found unrevoked app run it and then after that the tether work! perfect all that was yesterday then today i try it to run tether again and it didnt work! the only way to make work again was by running the unrevoked app again! but why? i dont want to foul with that anymore i want a custom rom that everytime i try it it works like my tp2 did so where do i go from now is my phone rooted or not remember besides the unrevoked i loaded the simple root too! im kinda lost! how do i flash i rom now cuz i tryed to flash the omj rom but it didnt work when i run cmd and put everything as shown on the thread it tell me gives me an error!
The problem you were having is because although you rooted using Simpleroot, you still had the factory rom. So, you have a rooted phone w/ an unrooted version of a rom.
You were missing the Superuser Icon so Wifi tether didn't work.
Simpleroot does what you need it to do. It gave you root access.
After you finish step 4 in Simpleroot, you need to download OMJ's latest rom from here - ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/EVO/Users/OMJ/ROMs/PC36IMG.zip
Put that file on your sdcard. This will replace the existing PC36IMG.zip.

Then start SimpleRoot again but this time
Click on "Extras" then "Flash Recovery" and choose "RA_Recovery" and click "Flash"

After it flashes your recovery you'll be at the recovery screen.
From there, use the Volume Down button to highlight Power Off and use the Power Button to select it.
Once the phone is completely off,

While holding "Volume DOWN", push the "Power" button so the phone turns on. You don't need to hold the "Power" button, but you do need to hold the "Volume DOWN" button. This will bring you straight to the bootloader screen which says
-FASTBOOT
-RECOVERY
-CLEAR STORAGE
-SIMLOCK
-HBOOT USB

Just wait for a minute. It will read your storage card. This takes about 30secs and there is a progress bar on the top right. It's reading the PC36IMG.zip file you placed on the card.

Once that's done, it says, "Do you want to start update?" Volume UP=YES Volume Down=NO. Hit "Volume UP" and then wait.

When it's done it will ask you if you want to reboot. Volume UP for yes and you're all set.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 back up !! EVO 4G !!
Carrier: SPRINT

cuban4lf is keeping up the good workcuban4lf is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to cuban4lf Send a message via Skype™ to cuban4lf
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

im tryin to do part 2 of the orig root. i rename from eng. to just pc36 . my device reads it but does not ask do u wanna update !! just goes back to hboot !! any help would be great. im d/l mirror now to see if file (zip) was bad
Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban4lf View Post
im tryin to do part 2 of the orig root. i rename from eng. to just pc36 . my device reads it but does not ask do u wanna update !! just goes back to hboot !! any help would be great. im d/l mirror now to see if file (zip) was bad
If it doesn't ask, you named it wrong or it's corrupted.

BTW - I've been playing xbox too long. Everytime I see numbers in a name, I think they're supposed to be letters.
I thought your name was Cuban Alf.
I instantly started to picture a Alf/Ricky Ricardo character. Man that would have been a great show.

Last edited by FastRX8; 07-13-2010 at 01:46 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo Beast Rooted & Unleash!!
Carrier: sprint

turboll is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
The problem you were having is because although you rooted using Simpleroot, you still had the factory rom. So, you have a rooted phone w/ an unrooted version of a rom.
You were missing the Superuser Icon so Wifi tether didn't work.
Simpleroot does what you need it to do. It gave you root access.
After you finish step 4 in Simpleroot, you need to download OMJ's latest rom from here - ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/EVO/Users/OMJ/ROMs/PC36IMG.zip
Put that file on your sdcard. This will replace the existing PC36IMG.zip.

Then start SimpleRoot again but this time
Click on "Extras" then "Flash Recovery" and choose "RA_Recovery" and click "Flash"

After it flashes your recovery you'll be at the recovery screen.
From there, use the Volume Down button to highlight Power Off and use the Power Button to select it.
Once the phone is completely off,

While holding "Volume DOWN", push the "Power" button so the phone turns on. You don't need to hold the "Power" button, but you do need to hold the "Volume DOWN" button. This will bring you straight to the bootloader screen which says
-FASTBOOT
-RECOVERY
-CLEAR STORAGE
-SIMLOCK
-HBOOT USB

Just wait for a minute. It will read your storage card. This takes about 30secs and there is a progress bar on the top right. It's reading the PC36IMG.zip file you placed on the card.

Once that's done, it says, "Do you want to start update?" Volume UP=YES Volume Down=NO. Hit "Volume UP" and then wait.

When it's done it will ask you if you want to reboot. Volume UP for yes and you're all set.
im sorry the thread was suppost to be a thread but some how ended here so u said replace do i have to remane the ojmrom zip to pc36img.zip or no needs to?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboll View Post
im sorry the thread was suppost to be a thread but some how ended here so u said replace do i have to remane the ojmrom zip to pc36img.zip or no needs to?
It's already got the right name when you download it.

Keep in mind, I don't know if anything got messed up when you re-did the unrevoked method. It should be fine, but if unrevoked messed something up, you may need to start the rooting process all over again.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: cant root, but i get to last step

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
Im not sure how to take more time. I push one button and it gives error. changed sd cards still get the permission denied error. Even when I copy the files myself to the sdcard, step 2 doesnt work. When I went into the bat file and ran it cammand by command this is the error I got:

C:\Evo phone>adb kill-server
* server not running *
C:\Evo phone>adb push flash_image /sdcard/flash_image
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
failed to copy 'flash_image' to '/sdcard/flash_image': Permission denied

does this help?
your device shows up? did you install sync? and what mode do you have it on

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

http://androidforums.com/1118961-post16.html
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Thanks...

You know, with all the typing I do, it never occurred to me to
randomly just typing a and a link to a random post from
another forum that references 2 other links to 2 other forums

Man, I guess my work here is done.
You could have saved everyone so much trouble if only you'd posted that gem weeks ago.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo Beast Rooted & Unleash!!
Carrier: sprint

turboll is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
It's already got the right name when you download it.

Keep in mind, I don't know if anything got messed up when you re-did the unrevoked method. It should be fine, but if unrevoked messed something up, you may need to start the rooting process all over again.
good info my friend! everything went sweet!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos