PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

madoc is keeping up the good workmadoc is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: My EVO review...hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
So far, yes. I went into it with fairly realistic expectations though. I knew that the camera wasn't going to shoot great video in a lot of circumstances and I knew that 4G coverage and speed might not blow me out of the water.

That said, everything else about it is awesome. Fast processor, great screen, great OS, very solid build quality. I can't get enough.
How about battery life compared to the TP2? What time to you typically take it off the charger - and what time does it request more juice from you?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Atdhe.net on EVO

Strange. An episode of The Office wouldn't play and gave the error above. Law & Order played fine though, with a good frame rate. I don't know enough about the site to know what the difference in the streams is.

Haven't tried Skyfire. Actually I'd better do at least some work today...

Last edited by bedoig; 05-28-2010 at 04:23 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Got to play with a brand new Evo today... Start up is fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSD View Post
Snapdragon, believe it or not, isn't the primary reason it's booting up faster. Just sayin'
It is,

my HD2 boots up wayyy faster than a pro2.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc View Post
How about battery life compared to the TP2? What time to you typically take it off the charger - and what time does it request more juice from you?
My battery life has been horrendous actually. Far from what I was expecting, even with 4G off.

Might be a fluke or a defective battery. I'll have to see how things play out over time. I'm using it more than I did my TP2, but not enough to cause the kind of battery life I'm seeing.

Off the charger at 7:30AM, battery was almost dead at 2PM. Again, I can't say that is typical so take it with a grain of salt.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Blabber mouth
Pocket PC: MoPho
Carrier: Sprint.... for now

cornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributionscornelious2 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Atdhe.net on EVO

Quote:
No dice with flash lite. Might have to wait for Froyo.

using the hulu hack (which is blocked don't get excited) i got farther than that but there blocking by browser type it seems.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Got My Evo_Thoughts after 24hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool2269 View Post
if he buys the phone, can't he say wants about it? he "paid to play"

I'm sure there's some obama voters complaining now. maybe they feel 'lied' to? I dunno. (prolly not a good analogy)
I think the reality is that it is great fun to get a new phone, as well as get on a new OS. But it won't solve any of the problems we have, pay any bills, heal anyone, or anything else of real importance. You are right about the right to be critical of something you are getting - then there won't be so many disappointments, because you foresee the issues. I'll never forget the fanboy excitement as the release of the TP1 approached. It didn't take long for it to turn to disillusionment for a great many.

My hope in posting and answering is that folks with a similar experience to mine have realistic expectations, that's all. I don't personally care if anyone does or doesn't get this phone, because they have to live with the consequences, whatever they may be. I've seen kids trying to talk everyone into getting the phone they have - that is immature, because some people just want a phone, and not a complicated device that needs tweaking, etc. There is something to be said for the simplicity and reliability of a simple flip-phone. It's a dis-service to people to talk them into something that may be over their head or beyond their needs.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

madoc is keeping up the good workmadoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
My battery life has been horrendous actually. Far from what I was expecting, even with 4G off.

Might be a fluke or a defective battery. I'll have to see how things play out over time. I'm using it more than I did my TP2, but not enough to cause the kind of battery life I'm seeing.

Off the charger at 7:30AM, battery was almost dead at 2PM. Again, I can't say that is typical so take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks, very helpful. In one of the demo videos I saw on Engadget, the unit looked perilously low on battery and it was about 2:30- 3pm on the device. I assumed that they started out at about 8am or so, so that matches up with you.

Are you running friendstream? I've read that it tends to soak up more juice than the standard FB or Twitter apps.

I've still got a week or so until I get mine. I'll be throwing something up on connect-utb after I get a few days under my belt - will be focusing hard on battery life. Most reviews I've seen so far don't go into power details.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Got to play with a brand new Evo today... Start up is fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSD View Post
Snapdragon, believe it or not, isn't the primary reason it's booting up faster. Just sayin'
That's for sure. The Evo boots up in 1 minute, my TP2 can drag on for well over 5 minutes before Sense is running and it is fully responsive. Yet the processor on the Evo isn't even twice as fast. It's the Android, to be sure.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: OMG = EVO 3D

ubigred is becoming a great contributor
Re: Got My Evo_Thoughts after 24hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
I think the reality is that it is great fun to get a new phone, as well as get on a new OS. But it won't solve any of the problems we have, pay any bills, heal anyone, or anything else of real importance. You are right about the right to be critical of something you are getting - then there won't be so many disappointments, because you foresee the issues. I'll never forget the fanboy excitement as the release of the TP1 approached. It didn't take long for it to turn to disillusionment for a great many.

My hope in posting and answering is that folks with a similar experience to mine have realistic expectations, that's all. I don't personally care if anyone does or doesn't get this phone, because they have to live with the consequences, whatever they may be. I've seen kids trying to talk everyone into getting the phone they have - that is immature, because some people just want a phone, and not a complicated device that needs tweaking, etc. There is something to be said for the simplicity and reliability of a simple flip-phone. It's a dis-service to people to talk them into something that may be over their head or beyond their needs.
Great points . Two sides to every argument is very crucial despite the subject at hand.

^ Replace Tmo Wing with Sprint 700 Palm
Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:

What is your awake time %? You can find it under menu, settings, about phone, and status (I think). I'm using a vanilla android rom on my phone now, so I forget the exact location. It shouldn't be anywhere close to 100%. If it is, you have something preventing the phone from sleeping in standby.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
evo 4g, lemon, mic