PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: My EVO review...hmmm

I'm 6'4" as well, and my hands are fairly large. I don't think 4.3" is going to be too much for me. I do think that 5+ would be overkill though, and tough to navigate one handed.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Likes & Dislikes of the EVO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine- View Post
No Push email? I thought recent Android allowed you to configure to get Exchange email?
The EVO supports Exchange push email. I was referring to a stand alone as I do not have an Exchange account. Sorry I should've been more clear.
updated first post
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep

First off, sorry, haven't read the whole thread...

Loving the device so far. Speedy, good camera (if you had realistic expectations to begin with), great screen, etc., etc. Most of the pro's have been covered.

So far, my only gripes pertain to Wimax. I'm in Houston and have pretty widespread coverage. I've usually got at least 40-50% 4G signal strength. Even so, speeds are mediocre, typically ranging from 1.5-3 mbps down. Upload typically varies from 600-1000 kbps (it looks like the hard cap at 1 meg up is indeed in effect). Signal drops unexpectedly at times when you're not even moving, then comes back up a second later, just long enough to interfere with what you were doing. And a bit contrary to what we've been told, 4G seems to totally destroy the battery. Even when I've got consistent signal, using it sucks way more battery than even WiFi (which I tested heavily yesterday). Overall, I'm not yet impressed with Sprint's WiMax. We'll see if it improves over time, but to me it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. Certainly not worthy of being called 4G at this point, regardless of the theoretical possibilities of the technology.

Luckily the device is still awesome without true 4G. Overall build quality feels much higher than the TP2 thanks to it's all-in-one construction (no sliding keyboard and few physical buttons), glass screen, and IMO nicer materials. I already can't see going back to the TP2, or any WM device for that matter. I think if you manage your expectations a bit, most of the people that pick it up on the 4th will absolutely love it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: My EVO review...hmmm

I've only had it one day, but going back to the TP2 from the EVO feels like going from the TP2 back to the TP1. Tiny and constrained.

Size is just about right in my opinion. You definitely couldn't go much (if any) bigger, but at 4.3" my thumb can just reach each corner of the screen one handed.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

codeman05 is keeping up the good workcodeman05 is keeping up the good work

Bedoig,

Thanks for the info on 4G, I'm up in Dallas and allegedly we have widespread 4G coverage as well, so hopefully they get that fixed soon (or I have better results)

Maybe I missed this discussed elsewhere, but are you able to manually specify that you want to use the 3G network vs 4G? Or does it automatically choose the "fastest" network available?

Either way it should be infinitely better than my TP1...it's having more and more issues as of late :/

Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

lack of dual speaker really pisses me off. HTC never really knows if theyre going forward or backward. older models make some of the newer models look like downgrades, i cant really figure out what deal

as far as "handmedown" device... yeah, i see it in my future too, but it doesnt bother me, thats why im paying full price and trying to not upgrade my contract for another 2 years. if things go as planned, im getting this thing in june, and when my real upgrade comes in october, i'll be sitting there with a qwerty faster than snapdragon amoled MONSTER
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Just curious, in what scenarios do the external speakers really matter? Speakerphone is the only one I can think of. I'll have to do a side by side with the EVO and TP2 on speakerphone.

I can't imagine listening to music or something on any cellphone speaker, regardless of (relative) quality.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EvO 4Geezy

malibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmalibu_23 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

hard talk/end keys on my phones have given me YEARS of pocket dialing. im glad 2 see em go. most phones in the future are gearing towards less hard buttons. only ones that deal with the OS. (ie: home, search, back, etc) hell the most popular phone only has 1 button. Android only has 4 and WP7 will only have 3.

With no hard talk/end/camera keys and capacitive screen, my most hated annoyance will be a distant memory.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO/TP2 for World phone Use

Bootup is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_23 View Post
hard talk/end keys on my phones have given me YEARS of pocket dialing. im glad 2 see em go. most phones in the future are gearing towards less hard buttons. only ones that deal with the OS. (ie: home, search, back, etc) hell the most popular phone only has 1 button. Android only has 4 and WP7 will only have 3.

With no hard talk/end/camera keys and capacitive screen, my most hated annoyance will be a distant memory.
I agree 100%. I only use my end key on my TP2 to quickly get back to the home screen.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedoig View Post
Just curious, in what scenarios do the external speakers really matter? Speakerphone is the only one I can think of. I'll have to do a side by side with the EVO and TP2 on speakerphone.

I can't imagine listening to music or something on any cellphone speaker, regardless of (relative) quality.
Well, i love super loud obnoxious ringtones, and the tp2 does em pretty well. I also listen to lots of music over the speaker, just yesterday at work i had the music thru speaker for about 2 hours (ihave a weird job). As long as the speakers better than tp1 i shud be happy, but i'll wait to see. Also, the tp2 got low tones pretty well for a phone.

More than likely, i'll be using this phone with my headset or bluetooth so im not too bothered, but its still a benefit missed out on.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
evo 4g, lemon, mic