View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
bedoig
VIP Member

bedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on repbedoig is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Likes & Dislikes of the EVO...

First off, sorry, haven't read the whole thread...

Loving the device so far. Speedy, good camera (if you had realistic expectations to begin with), great screen, etc., etc. Most of the pro's have been covered.

So far, my only gripes pertain to Wimax. I'm in Houston and have pretty widespread coverage. I've usually got at least 40-50% 4G signal strength. Even so, speeds are mediocre, typically ranging from 1.5-3 mbps down. Upload typically varies from 600-1000 kbps (it looks like the hard cap at 1 meg up is indeed in effect). Signal drops unexpectedly at times when you're not even moving, then comes back up a second later, just long enough to interfere with what you were doing. And a bit contrary to what we've been told, 4G seems to totally destroy the battery. Even when I've got consistent signal, using it sucks way more battery than even WiFi (which I tested heavily yesterday). Overall, I'm not yet impressed with Sprint's WiMax. We'll see if it improves over time, but to me it feels like it's not quite ready for prime time. Certainly not worthy of being called 4G at this point, regardless of the theoretical possibilities of the technology.

Luckily the device is still awesome without true 4G. Overall build quality feels much higher than the TP2 thanks to it's all-in-one construction (no sliding keyboard and few physical buttons), glass screen, and IMO nicer materials. I already can't see going back to the TP2, or any WM device for that matter. I think if you manage your expectations a bit, most of the people that pick it up on the 4th will absolutely love it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.