PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintb View Post
I totally see where your coming from. But there is no software that you must purchase at all to copy all of your contacts (etc. data in all of its entirety). It just takes a hint of brain power.

PS: Google does not hate Microsoft one bit, Microsoft and Google are like the U.S.M.C. and the S.A.S, and APPLE is the Taliban! It just doesn't work with Apple.

Heres my way of thinking:

Android: There's a hack for that.
Windows: There's a crack for that.
Apple: There's a KOOL-AID drinker for that.
This is a viable solution for those that have a simple contact list without the categories, contact pictures, etc... I have actually acquired a quite complex phonebook and overtime it has become quite organized. This is something I want to continue into Android world.

Apparently HTC Sync will not sync over the categories, etc. It also will not sync over my notes where I have quite a bit of information.

Why Google.... seriously... no real syncing with Outlook out of the box???
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC® Touch Pro™ 2 /// HTC® Evo™ 4G
Carrier: Sprint®

austintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuffaustintb knows their stuff
Cool Re: Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprod View Post
This is a viable solution for those that have a simple contact list without the categories, contact pictures, etc... I have actually acquired a quite complex phonebook and overtime it has become quite organized. This is something I want to continue into Android world.

Apparently HTC Sync will not sync over the categories, etc. It also will not sync over my notes where I have quite a bit of information.

Why Google.... seriously... no real syncing with Outlook out of the box???
Well actually it does sync everything over. (etc. contact pictures, categories), because when you export to the .csv (coma separated value - Windows [not DOS]), it saves everything. You can check for yourself by importing the "contacts.csv" file into Outlook and open a contact, and it will all be there. GUARANTEE YOU!

As far as your notes, you can manually grab them from your phones storage.
Computer\HTC Touch Pro2\\\My Documents

Any .PWI file are your notes.
"Observation of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement on Supraquantum Structures By Induction through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal of Extremely Long Wavelength (ELW) Pulse from Mode-Locked Source Array." - from Half Life 1
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G

Biofall is becoming a great contributor

The best way is to sync with gmail aparenly, or outlook, the re-sync.
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Apparently Companion Link is another good option for contact syncing.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

easy1 is a n00b

What about the HTC Sync app included on the phone flash card?

http://www.htc.com/www/SupportViewNe...33&news_id=631

Has anyone used it?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy1 View Post
What about the HTC Sync app included on the phone flash card?

http://www.htc.com/www/SupportViewNe...33&news_id=631

Has anyone used it?
That's only for HTC sense ui android devices. If you have a WM device, you can't use HTC Sync.

edit: If you are trying to get your wm contacts to your HTC phone, you could pull them from outlook after you sync them to outlook from your wm device, via active sync. But I think the issue will be if the categories will transfer over....
Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
That's only for HTC sense ui android devices. If you have a WM device, you can't use HTC Sync.

edit: If you are trying to get your wm contacts to your HTC phone, you could pull them from outlook after you sync them to outlook from your wm device, via active sync. But I think the issue will be if the categories will transfer over....
I don't have Outlook installed on my pc so I haven't tried that way. When I used google sync to get my contacts to gmail though, the catagories did not transfer over.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I don't have Outlook installed on my pc so I haven't tried that way. When I used google sync to get my contacts to gmail though, the catagories did not transfer over.
I can't say for sure whether htc sync will be what you need, as I have only had contacts, with no categories. And I only had about 85 contacts, not a few hundred.

Here's a PDF of the HTC Sync program. Maybe your answer will be in here.

http://member.america.htc.com/downlo...Guide_2025.pdf
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM
The Playboy Boy
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Curb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuff

when I try to follow this --> http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299
I cant and get stuck at step 4 or 5. I cant click next as its greyed out unless I uncheck the box that says "Attempt to detect Exchange Server Settings automatically". After I do that it wants me to enter the Server address but I dont know what that would be.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Okay, I got the contacts perfectly imported into gmail. Contacts, contact picture, all fields (addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc) catagories, and the contact notes. Here is how I did it...

#1: Install Outlook on the computer. The Touch Pro 2 disk has a 60 day trial, so I just used that.
#2: Tried to sync the Touch Pro 2 via ActiveSync on my XP netbook (where I installed Outlook) but kept having problems. I ended up removing the Google Sync exchange server (via activesync) from my phone. It didn't work properly anyway (no catagories) so just removed it. I then hit help and check for updates in Outlook, and installed all the updates.
#3: Now my phone successfully synced via activesync and Outlook had all of my contacts.
#4: In Outlook hit file, Import and Export, Export to a file. Select Comma Seperated (Windows) and export it.
#5: Go into gmail and import that file into contacts.
#6: Now all of my contacts were there, with all the fields, and even the catagories. The only problem is the pictures weren't there.
#7: Then I set up the Google Synce (exchange server) with the info here:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299
#8: After setting up the Google Sync, did a send/receive on my phone.
#9: After the send/receive completed, all of my contacts on gmail had pictures, and still had the catagories and everything else.

I will update the first post to make it easier for anyone reading this thread...

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 06-04-2010 at 04:28 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G