PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE
Carrier: Sprint

AYSIANA is keeping up the good workAYSIANA is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Okay, I got the contacts perfectly imported into gmail. Contacts, contact picture, all fields (addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc) catagories, and the contact notes. Here is how I did it...

#1: Install Outlook on the computer. The Touch Pro 2 disk has a 60 day trial, so I just used that.
#2: Tried to sync the Touch Pro 2 via ActiveSync on my XP netbook (where I installed Outlook) but kept having problems. I ended up removing the Google Sync exchange server (via activesync) from my phone. It didn't work properly anyway (no catagories) so just removed it. I then hit help and check for updates in Outlook, and installed all the updates.
#3: Now my phone successfully synced via activesync and Outlook had all of my contacts.
#4: In Outlook hit file, Import and Export, Export to a file. Select Comma Seperated (Windows) and export it.
#5: Go into gmail and import that file into contacts.
#6: Now all of my contacts were there, with all the fields, and even the catagories. The only problem is the pictures weren't there.
#7: Then I set up the Google Synce (exchange server) with the info here:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299
#8: After setting up the Google Sync, did a send/receive on my phone.
#9: After the send/receive completed, all of my contacts on gmail had pictures, and still had the catagories and everything else.

I will update the first post to make it easier for anyone reading this thread...
I think you did alot of extra work for nothing...it worked just fine for me without all the extra steps.

I followed the directions here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299 to the tee except one thing is a little different, the first window that popped up on my phone didn't say "server address", it said "email address" and the next button was grayed out until I unchecked the SSL box. Then I clicked next and got to the screen as shown on the Google Sync tutorial. I followed the rest of the steps and was done in about 5 minutes.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

When you get the Evo, it's so simple, you just enter your email address and password and you're done.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 AM
The Playboy Boy
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Curb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuffCurb71 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post
I think you did alot of extra work for nothing...it worked just fine for me without all the extra steps.

I followed the directions here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299 to the tee except one thing is a little different, the first window that popped up on my phone didn't say "server address", it said "email address" and the next button was grayed out until I unchecked the SSL box. Then I clicked next and got to the screen as shown on the Google Sync tutorial. I followed the rest of the steps and was done in about 5 minutes.
I did that but it gives me an error if I choose contacts + calender. It will sync just contacts. Anyway to get it to sync calender too?
Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Grandmast is a n00b

This is a sore subject for me. I only read a couple of pages so I'm not sure if someone has posted the issue with "File As" fields yet or not.

I have a ton of business contacts where before I'd have the abbreviation first then the location. Google has taken that to be Location, Abbreviation. So below check out how for example the Western Boulevard Triple A or the Better Business Bureau in New Bern would be imported from Outlook.

AAA, (Western Blvd) to (Western Blvd) AAA or worse Western B AAA.
BBB, New Bern turns to New BBB -- it's just annoying.

I would think there to be some sort of app that makes this a non issue or batch edits. There were tons of contact apps for WinMo and I can't seem to find a decent one for android.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmast View Post
This is a sore subject for me. I only read a couple of pages so I'm not sure if someone has posted the issue with "File As" fields yet or not.

I have a ton of business contacts where before I'd have the abbreviation first then the location. Google has taken that to be Location, Abbreviation. So below check out how for example the Western Boulevard Triple A or the Better Business Bureau in New Bern would be imported from Outlook.

AAA, (Western Blvd) to (Western Blvd) AAA or worse Western B AAA.
BBB, New Bern turns to New BBB -- it's just annoying.

I would think there to be some sort of app that makes this a non issue or batch edits. There were tons of contact apps for WinMo and I can't seem to find a decent one for android.
I think you can import a csv file into Gmail, which you can make with Excel. Maybe you can massage it in Excel first to counteract the issue
Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

gaudet41 is keeping up the good workgaudet41 is keeping up the good workgaudet41 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
When you get the Evo, it's so simple, you just enter your email address and password and you're done.
I just got my phone and it is not pulling in any of my contacts from gmail. Any ideas? Maybe I synced them to gmail in the first place wrongly or something? I cant even access gmail from here at work either.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:52 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

lokalori is just getting started

my contacts are showing up in gmail. when I use the google sync function it syncs calendar, and gmail, but I get a sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly. has the sync icon with a red exclemation mark. I was able to sync it earlier, but it just was a contact list with no phone #'s or any other info. so I deleted them all and tried syncing again. If anyone knows another way to get my contacts from my tp2 to my evo that would be appreciated.

-Loki
Old 06-04-2010, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post

Doing it that way doesn't sync the catagories. If you want catagories, plus contact pictures, and all fields, the steps I listed are the only way I have found that works.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Grandmast is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBundo View Post
I think you can import a csv file into Gmail, which you can make with Excel. Maybe you can massage it in Excel first to counteract the issue
Yeah, I've messed around with both csv formats that google can export. Because I have relied so heavily on that File As category for the past couple of years my contact list is such a hot mess. Every time that I've tried to manually finesse it a bit I just give up. It's about 200 contacts, so I may just end up starting from scratch and be done with it. Is it just me or can you only sort the contact list by first name?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:11 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmast View Post
Yeah, I've messed around with both csv formats that google can export. Because I have relied so heavily on that File As category for the past couple of years my contact list is such a hot mess. Every time that I've tried to manually finesse it a bit I just give up. It's about 200 contacts, so I may just end up starting from scratch and be done with it. Is it just me or can you only sort the contact list by first name?
I am only seeing them sorted by first name too. Hopefully Google fixes that in a future update. I really liked that "File As" option in WinMo contacts. I have several that are filed under the company name, and finding them on the Evo has been tricky.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G