PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

So as most of us are coming from WinMo, I'm sure this will be an issue for a lot of us.

How do you best get the contacts, calendar, tasks, etc, from WinMo to the Evo?

I used Google Sync on my current phone (Touch Pro 2) and it imported my contacts to gmail, but it didn't do the calendar or tasks. And the contacts are all missing the catagories on gmail.

I absolutely need my contacts to have the catagories, so I need to figure that out. And I obviously need the calendar too, and would really like to get the tasks.

I don't use Outlook on my computer, so I would prefer an option that doesn't involve it. Heck, I would prefer an option that doesn't even involve the computer, just straight from the phone to gmail.

Any android vets out there have any advice on how to do this?

EDIT:
Okay, I got the contacts perfectly imported into gmail. Contacts, contact picture, all fields (addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc) catagories, and the contact notes. Here is how I did it...

#1: Install Outlook on the computer. The Touch Pro 2 disk has a 60 day trial, so I just used that.
#2: Tried to sync the Touch Pro 2 via ActiveSync on my XP netbook (where I installed Outlook) but kept having problems. I ended up removing the Google Sync exchange server (via activesync) from my phone. It didn't work properly anyway (no catagories) so just removed it. I then hit help and check for updates in Outlook, and installed all the updates.
#3: Now my phone successfully synced via activesync and Outlook had all of my contacts.
#4: In Outlook hit file, Import and Export, Export to a file. Select Comma Seperated (Windows) and export it.
#5: Go into gmail and import that file into contacts.
#6: Now all of my contacts were there, with all the fields, and even the catagories. The only problem is the pictures weren't there.
#7: Then I set up the Google Synce (exchange server) with the info here:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...36&topic=14299
#8: After setting up the Google Sync, did a send/receive on my phone.
#9: After the send/receive completed, all of my contacts on gmail had pictures, and still had the catagories and everything else.

Last edited by BlackDynamite; 06-04-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP
Re: Contacts and calendar from WinMo to Evo?

I use ActiveSync with the Google exchange server and it backs up everything to my gmail account (except messages and call history). When I logged on to Android the first time, all my stuff was just there.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
I use ActiveSync with the Google exchange server and it backs up everything to my gmail account (except messages and call history). When I logged on to Android the first time, all my stuff was just there.
Did you still have your catagories in your contacts or were they gone? And did your caledar and tasks get synced or just the contacts?

I used the Google Sync (which is really just setting up an Exchange Server) and it didn't do my catagories, my calendar, or my tasks...
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO

tdubbs27 is just getting started

OK-Most Definitely getting the EVO when it comes out, but this contact switch has me concerned. I can do it with outlook no prob, but when I log into my gmail account will it import all my contacts. My email address book is huge, as it is for most of you i am sure. How do you avoid importing every last email address from gmail into your contacts on the phone. If this is not a problem and I am being overly paranoid let me know.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Look into google sync, to transfer your calendar/contacts/etc.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

http://smartphoneblogging.com/2010/0...rison-roundup/

Quote:
Migrating your personal data like contacts, emails and calendar from a Windows Mobile device to your Google account is not that complicated, since you can use Google sync on Windows Mobile to transfer your data. Just make sure you have a local backup of all your PIM data on your device or somewhere else, since the first sync with Google will sometimes erase all your data on the Windows Mobile smartphone. After restoring the data on your Windows Mobile device from your backup file, the next sync will transfer all data to your Google account. At least this was the case when i migrated my data to my Google account using Google sync one year ago. Maybe this issue doesn’t exist anymore, but i still can’t stress enough that you should have AT LEAST one backup before trying any kind of personal data migration to another system. There are many apps available for this, one of the best freeware apps is called PIM backup which will store all your PIM data within a backup file.
Another way of migrating your data is to sync with outlook first, and then create outlook backup files in csv-format. You can use this files i.e. to transfer your contacts to your Google account. For me the direct Google sync worked quite nicely so there was no need for the outlook workaround.

Last edited by tokuzumi; 06-05-2010 at 03:15 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
Look into google sync, to transfer your calendar/contacts/etc.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

http://smartphoneblogging.com/2010/0...rison-roundup/
Yeah Google Sync is what I tried to use and it didn't work. It didn't bring the catagories of my contacts, my calendar, or my tasks.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Insatiable is keeping up the good workInsatiable is keeping up the good workInsatiable is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to Insatiable

Hi...what if we don't have a gmail account? This means we have to get one? Is there not like an sktools for android or anything else that will import all this? I wanna have all my stuff backed up and loaded so I can just get the phone and go. What about like dashwire or anything else?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

I'm not positive as I don't use categories but Google sync doesn't do task. Calendar should sync perfectly and contacts should too but I'm not sure about categories as I don't use them. Once you have an android they have 2 main programs that sync with tasks but they aren't native to android right out of the box
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insatiable View Post
Hi...what if we don't have a gmail account? This means we have to get one? Is there not like an sktools for android or anything else that will import all this? I wanna have all my stuff backed up and loaded so I can just get the phone and go. What about like dashwire or anything else?
You have to create a Google account or about 50% of the phone will not be accessible including the marketplace
Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

My calendar and contacts synced without an issue. I agree with p-slim: Not sure on categories, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't to tasks.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G